Terrible Taste Confessions

Nukelavee

I don't think either Gilead or Larry read more than one of RS's ... epics

Didn't this come up in the discussion? I think Stanek has only ever actually written 2 or 3 fantasy books, all the various titles are actually re-packagings of one kind or another.

i'm kinda proud of this topic.

Have I mentioned Wargames, by Karl Hansen? To this day, I can't believe Mom let it into the house, I mean, she actually read a bit "just to see". Now, at that moment, I feared she would read swearing, or violence, and say I was too young, because I too had missed something when i scanned a few pages. It was a quivering tome of lurid sex btween all sorts of genesculpted humans held together with some very cool and fun hardcore violent space-war.

That book was legend among my friends, both for it's contents, and because I actually just bought it, and got away with it, at 12.

I still read it ocasionally, grooving on the universe, and giggling about getting one past Mom.

• 3 weeks later...

when i was a kid i read those r.l. stein book series 'goosebumps'. i'm not really embarrassed because i was a young kid, but those were certainly a shitty start to my book reading list.

Hah, I still have like 30 of those in my closet, right next to a stack of hank the cowdog

I may have mentioned this, but I have read a certain Dan Brown book twice.

As long as you're talking about the first one (not the second one), and as long as you didn't see the *movie* twice, I think you can be forgiven. ;) I actually thought the first book was fun. The movie, however, was a mortal sin.

I used to read quite a few Mills & Boon romances, but always for the LOLs and to rejoice in the awful writing (and it is plentiful, believe me).

However, I do quite enjoy me some Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance stuff, where I can just sort of immerse myself in the leather clad vampire chick thing. It makes me feel vaguely tainted, but I am sure I'll live. :P

I used to read quite a few Mills & Boon romances, but always for the LOLs and to rejoice in the awful writing (and it is plentiful, believe me).

Research, right? Yeah, yeah.

However, I do quite enjoy me some Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance stuff, where I can just sort of immerse myself in the leather clad vampire chick thing. It makes me feel vaguely tainted, but I am sure I'll live. :P

Welcome to the club. We have jackets. Also I have many and plentiful recs for the half way decent stuff if you're interested...

N

Clive Cussler! I've read most of his Dirk Pitt books and loved them when I was younger. But I just couldn't get myself to read the last one. Too repetitive and formula-written with cardboard characters. And his ridiculous habit of writing himself into all the books as a Deus Ex Machina. :ack:

Also, I've read and (somewhat) enjoyed a few books by Richard Laymon...

Philippa Gregory - I always get furious at her willfull distortions of history, but enjoy reading them nonetheless (though I've read her last few books)

Lauren Weisberger's The Devil Wears Prada - yes it is bad, but it's escapist fun and the over-the-top evil boss from hell just give me the giggles.

Lauren Weisberger's The Devil Wears Prada - yes it is bad, but it's escapist fun and the over-the-top evil boss from hell just give me the giggles.

Haha yeah, have to agree with that - as a book it sucks, but as a barely-disguised bitchfest about the author's old boss, it's pretty funny,

Archived