Terrible Taste Confessions

Nukelavee

Oh my...if we find out that Terry Goodkind was the one who suggested submitting to Betsy Wollheim at DAW then I may totally lose it.

Ha, I think he said in an interview Goodkind was the one who made him realize he could get published. It's kind of like seeing a Piers Anthony blurb on a book you really like huh?

Yep, i'm pathetic.

Well fuck, I read all of those too. I could only read xanth up to like book 4. Then I decided I don't want to here about little girls underwear.

I only really liked the first IoI book. And they based Dead like Me on it, so it can;t be that bad.

OK it's bad.

Ha, I think he said in an interview Goodkind was the one who made him realize he could get published. It's kind of like seeing a Piers Anthony blurb on a book you really like huh?

Make it stop!!! :) Unless, of course, he meant, "Hey, if this load o' crap is publishable, then I can certainly be," cause that's about the best comparison that could be made between the two. Although if Rothfuss wanted to, he could have the yeard to end all yeards.

Well fuck, I read all of those too. I could only read xanth up to like book 4. Then I decided I don't want to here about little girls underwear.

I only really liked the first IoI book. And they based Dead like Me on it, so it can;t be that bad.

OK it's bad.

I dont know whether to be relieved or disappointed that I didnt read them, kind of like how depressing my life would be if I had never been introduced to goodkind.

Good thread. And here I go:

I was a really big fan of the Inheritance Novels when I was younger. Then, I read the 3rd book my Sophomore year and realized how horrible they were. Not to mention that they are unrepentantly ripping off the holy Star Wars trilogy.

My friend and I have got a running bet that at the end of the last book; Eragon is going to be dragging his brother out of the crumbling Imperial Palace, and there will be the following exchange of dialogue:

Brother: Go!

Eragon: No, I've got to save you!

Brother: You already have...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahem... That aside. Here's my real confession.

The first time I ever read an actual book was in the fourth grade. That book turned into a series which was The Lord of the Rings. I went on to read a few other books, some of which were of the Star Wars variety...

Needless to say, as I grew up I realized how awful these things were (about the time that I realized that the prequels sucked). But I was still a kid. I read Star Wars: Betrayal during the 8th grade and I realized that it was the best piece of Star Wars outside of Timothy Zhan. So I gave the series a go (surprisingly, I feel like the series had a chance to not be god awful for a while, then they kind of realized that they had a status quo to maintain). Here I am, an adult, and I am reading the next series.

And let me say, it's fucking horrendous. I don't enjoy it, but I kind of have to know what happens. I imagine this is what an addiction is like. And my good friend (who had the strength to quit after the end of the LotF series) appreciates that I can amuse him with how terrible it is. Seriously, it's just sad. And I feel ashamed of myself every time I discretely check out the next book from the library (like I'm going to buy this crap), but luckily they've installed a self-checkout system so I am spared public humiliation.

I've read all three Mass Effect novels. They are all unrepentantly awful.

Yeah, I've read these as well...and... At least they're honest. Drew Karpyshyn isn't a very good novelist (he should stick to the games, he's fairly adept), but at least the man isn't bullshitting when he writes them.

Not that I think them to be terrible, mind you, but I suppose several at this board might find my appreciation and occasional enjoyment of several types of recent literary fiction novels to be a "terrible taste confession."

Hey, I'm just tryin' to join in; I haven't read virtually any of the books y'all are mentioning :P

I guess it's time I come clean. I have read two of The Inheritance books. I didn't go as far as purchasing the third one. The first one was a gift and I actually bought the second one. (gulp)

I don't know why I continued as far as I did. As soon as I started reading it I realized what a plagiaristic piece of crap it was. But there was something about Saphira I really liked. I liked her well enough to ignore the stupid boy hero.

You can laugh at me now if you want. I can take it.

Go and read The Truce at Bakura, then every dragonlance novel published. After that you can join the club.

Truce at Bakura? Bah.

The Courtship of Princess Leia is where the truly awful taste is.

Go and read The Truce at Bakura, then every dragonlance novel published. After that you can join the club.

Nah, too busy tracking down all the finalists for the 2011 National Book Awards. Concentrating on the Poetry shortlist right now ;)

Not that I think them to be terrible, mind you, but I suppose several at this board might find my appreciation and occasional enjoyment of several types of recent literary fiction novels to be a "terrible taste confession."

Hey, I'm just tryin' to join in; I haven't read virtually any of the books y'all are mentioning :P

I say this as a friend - thinly veiled condescension of the 'Aw. Shucks. I too can participate in the quaint homely banter of the common folk' variety = Eye rolling FAIL. :)

Also, wtf were you reading in junior high? :read:

I've read a couple of Star Wars novels. Don't now how guilty I should feel about that, though.

I've read almost half of the first of David Gemmell's books, and it's ... well, hrm.

But .. I've also read a (cough!) Dragonlance novel. Yes, a Dragonlance novel. Don't know why, don't know how, but I did it ... though rest assured I'll never do it again.

I say this as a friend - thinly veiled condescension of the 'Aw. Shucks. I too can participate in the quaint homely banter of the common folk' variety = Eye rolling FAIL. :)

Also, wtf were you reading in junior high? :read:

Nah, it was more of a teasing "why the hell does anyone want to act like what they've read growing up is wallowing in terribleness?" :P

I rarely read any fiction in Junior High. So mostly histories and a few biographies.

I am right now reading the Terry Brooks series The Genesis of Shannara... I remember loving Terry Brooks as a kid, but I haven't read him in years. I am two books through the trilogy right now, and it has not been great. I may not make it through this.

Archived