Terrible Taste Confessions

Nukelavee

Nah, it was more of a teasing "why the hell does anyone want to act like what they've read growing up is wallowing in terribleness?" :P

I rarely read any fiction in Junior High. So mostly histories and a few biographies.

And yet he STILL keeps it up! :bang:

Unless you admit you were a bedwetter, you're beyond redemption. :P

I ain't tellin'. Y'all would probably ban me from the board. ;)

Is this the Yeard? Must be the Yeard.

I read the Yeard because the lecturer in one of my intro to lit class made us read him. By the end of the semester, he was one of my most hated teacher not because of having us read Goodkind, but for other reasons. But the Goodkind talk at the beginning of the sem should have alerted me to that.

I was addicted to Christopher Pike novels when I was a kid. They were fun. And so were my aunt's Danielle Steele books, with all of their trashy soapy emotionally manipulative stories.

Eyelesbarrow,

Is this the Yeard? Must be the Yeard.

I read the Yeard because the lecturer in one of my intro to lit class made us read him. By the end of the semester, he was one of my most hated teacher not because of having us read Goodkind, but for other reasons. But the Goodkind talk at the beginning of the sem should have alerted me to that.

I was addicted to Christopher Pike novels when I was a kid. They were fun. And so were my aunt's Danielle Steele books, with all of their trashy soapy emotionally manipulative stories.

Someone used the "Yeard" in a literature class, really? Wow.

Yeah Scot.

And you know, to be fair, the first one wasn't that bad. I remember reading the first part of Shannara around the same time and just couldn't get past the first 50 pages. I was so bored with it. So WFZ wasn't that terrible compared to Shannara (hah!) so I stuck with it. In fact, I read the other books because I wanted to see where it would end but I was dismayed every time. It's a thing I have with series - even though they are awful, I try to finish it. But maybe I was just being a masochist at that time. I stopped at the 4th or 5th book, which means the Yeard has the distinction of being the first author who made me stop in the middle of a series.

The lecturer has left the uni by the way. Don't know the exact reason, but hey, no new students will be exposed to the Yeard anymore.

Nah, it was more of a teasing "why the hell does anyone want to act like what they've read growing up is wallowing in terribleness?"

Self-deprecation is generally more fun and sociable than self-congratulation. Just sayin'.

Nah, it was more of a teasing "why the hell does anyone want to act like what they've read growing up is wallowing in terribleness?" :P

I rarely read any fiction in Junior High. So mostly histories and a few biographies.

Yeah, that's really not how it came through. In this thread, just post something that you enjoy that you think has little redemptive value, don't talk about how you like things that other people simply don't/can't appreciate.

I recently went on a kick of reading Marjorie M Liu's shapechanger romance series. I will probably keep it up. They're enjoyable while I'm reading, and then I sit back and actually think about the subject matter. Same with the Kinshield Legacy series and the Tormay trilogy, each of which I picked up for the cheap on Amazon. Even as I read them, I was picking them apart. But I still enjoyed them. Like Skunkbelly, I am also a complete sucker for a historical romance, though I'm sort of getting overwhelmed with Regency ones right now. (Georgian romances? Awesome. Beverly Jenkin's catalog? Awesomer. The latter aren't totally without value, though, so I'm not counting them as a guilty pleasure the same way.)

(I would add the Ringo I read, but that definitely wasn't enjoyable. :P I'm also staying away from the crap I read before I turned 18, because I didn't find anything guilty about them then, so don't feel guilty about it now.)

The First Shannara books I read was the Scions series, and I always thought those had a few neat concepts. (Not to mention the entire elf-island-turned-horror thing gave me nightmares)

Truce at Bakura? Bah.

The Courtship of Princess Leia is where the truly awful taste is.

God, I just had flashbacks of 'Truce'. Aliens putting peoples' minds in robots? WTF?!

Thank god I had the wisdom and penis to stay away from 'Courtship'.

Self-deprecation is generally more fun and sociable than self-congratulation. Just sayin'.

According to Kate Fox, this may only be because you're English. (Lummel made me read 'Observing the English'. Well, he offhandedly, when prompted, suggested I might find it interesting, which apparently, in Englandia, is about the same as holding a gun to my head.)

I read two of the Dune prequels. One may be a misfortune, but two...

Gawd, you guys are PITIFUL with all your half-assed namby pamby "terrible taste" confessions. I can't take all this wannabe posing any more.

I'll give ya Terrible Taste that should curl yer toes.

JR Ward. Black Dagger Brotherhood. The entire 8 volume series.

And I wasn't even high at the time.

I read the whole trilogy based on the crusade against the machines (I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head) and one of the prequels about House Harkonnen. I can't call it a guilty pleasure or a terrible taste confession though, more like pure idiocy and the power of branding.

Damn, I managed to suppress that memory. I've read the three House prequels, with raising irritation but enough enjoyment to finish them and start the 'Butlerian Jihad', but that one crossed the line too far and I never finished it or read any of the other Anderson/Brian stuff.

Gawd, you guys are PITIFUL with all your half-assed namby pamby "terrible taste" confessions. I can't take all this wannabe posing any more.

I'll give ya Terrible Taste that should curl yer toes.

JR Ward. Black Dagger Brotherhood. The entire 8 volume series.

And I wasn't even high at the time.

Never heard of them, so cannot share the horror, but there is a ninth with a tenth on the way :D

Archived