Terrible Taste Confessions

Nukelavee

Now I wish I hadn't donated my entire set of Valdemar books a few years ago. I want to go sit down and read about Companions and Firecats!

And I so wanted a Companion when I was 14. ;)

Eragon things. I started years ago. It is not that bad really - I would count it along other fantasy for teenagers. I only read the last book in summer and I still do not see what is so bad at it.

I read the first and the second Twilight (watched the first movie too) because I wanted to know what in the world is it that makes my schoolmates that crazy about it - and I did not like it, so I only confess reading them, but not that I have terrible taste :).

I still have a sizeable collection of books about girls' boarding schools. Mallory Towers! St Clare's! Trebizon! The Chalet School! Used to love that shit. :leaving:

What's Trebizon? The others I read all the ones I could get my hands on. (they seemed terrible exotic, to be honest. WTF is Lacrosse?)

Yeah I don't think some of you get the idea. Early Tom Clancy may not be popular around here but its by no means derided as much as people seem to think it is. And really, putting Eddings and Feist in the same category as twilight is just...wrong. They may be light fluffy kids stuff but they're not offensive to humanity.(I really hate Twilight).

Mostly what's been posted up here already. In my early teens I loved all Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, David Eddings, Ray Feist, and Kevin Anderson's Star Wars books.

(I won't include Tim Zahn's Star Wars books in there, I thought, and still think they're legitimately decent)

I stopped reading them right around the time I got into Wheel of Time, then Game of Thrones--so about late teens.

I still have a soft, nostalgic place in my heart for those characters, especially Drizzt, Tasslehoff, and Silk.

I mean, say what you will about the Belgariad, but Silk is just so cool. :ninja:

(they seemed terrible exotic, to be honest. WTF is Lacrosse?)

Dude, they start lacrosse in Kindergarten in my part of the world. No shit. My seven year old plays lacrosse.

And I guess I have to confess. I simply CANNOT resist a regency romance. I particularly like the ones with a wildly wealthy titled gentleman and super steamy sex scenes. Like *cough* Stephanie Laurens *cough*

What's Trebizon? The others I read all the ones I could get my hands on. (they seemed terrible exotic, to be honest. WTF is Lacrosse?)

Trebizon.

It's a slightly more modern series than the others, so not quite so much "oh what larks, let's put beetles in Mam'zelle's teacup, oh Alicia you're simply dreadful!" (they even get to meet BOYS!) but the principle is the same.

ETA: I think they still play Lacrosse, too.

If I like something, I'm going to read it, and I'm not going to be embarrassed about it, so the entire concept of a guilty pleasure doesn't really apply for me.

But stuff that I like that I know others would look down on? Oh, the usual suspects. Brooks, Feist, Dragonlance, Pern. I enjoyed most of the Sword of Truth novels, although they went off the rails a bit before the end and I think the author himself is an ass. I liked Eragon, although I never read the others. I've read Harry Potter something like 18 times.

Although I suppose all of that was from my teenage years (not so long ago, but still), so perhaps I wouldn't enjoy them upon a re-read. (Except Harry Potter, I never get sick of it.)

Pern is nothing to be ashamed of, unless you kept reading past ATWOP. I kept all the first novels, though I am a few years out from a reread.

Her Donna series however, wow, how did I justify it on my shelf?

What? What's wrong with Barbara Hambly? Nazi sorcerors for fucks sake.

Eldritch and undefeatable race actually undefeatable.

Unfortunate plastered on romances, butwhatcanyoudo.

Her Star Wars books are on par with Kevin J Anderson. And when I think about it, I think Kevin J Anderson may be the WORST AUTHOR IN THE HISTORY OF TIME. That's including Twilight and Stanek. And the man is so full of himself. I'm surprised he's never been torn apart by angry fans.

Barbara Hambly. She's really a good author! Really!!!

(Most of you don't thinks, so, sure. That's ok.)

No. Just no.

I've read her Star Wars novels, which is both shameful and gives me the authority to say she's a bad writer.

Actually thinking about, liking EARLY Eddings isn't that bad. Those later ones though....blech.

Also aint nothing wrong with Valdemar! I still keep up with those. Magic Animals = win. (Except for that triolgy with the owls, wtf. owls)

Archived