NFL Thread 6. Fanatics unite!

Lord O' Bones

There would be a certain poetic quality to Manning finishing his career in Baltimore. If he has game left when he comes back from the surgery, I might not hate this, although that's a hell of a contract, so I hear. Might help some old Baltimore people exorcise the demons of the Colts leaving at last, though.

Although a better scenario would be Flacco getting out of game manager territory.

Yeah, that would be pretty interesting. And I'd be cool with it, more for the Steelers to deal with.

And I wouldn't hold out much hope for Flacco, I want him to do well (because they're in the NFC North), but I've not seen anything that looks redeeming.

1. Only Pats fans like the Pats;

2. Pretty much everyone else listed the Pats as a team they hated. That was special.

For the record: I don't hate the Patriots. I usually just hate Patriot fans. Or more specifically Boston fans in general, regardless of the sport. Sure there are Patriot fans on here who are bearable, even likeable, but it doesn't make any of you any less insufferable on game day... :P

I do however simply hate the city of Pittsburgh and anything associated with it sportswise. It's irrational and I cannot explain it. I just go with it.

The 9'ers have Kapernick, and they're apparently very excited about him.

Now wasn't it agreed you weren't going to do that anymore...?

Anyone see the line on the Bears/Eagles game? I haven't yet and I'm curious where the money's going on this one...

The 9'ers have Kapernick, and they're apparently very excited about him.

And they would not want Manning so that they can let Kaepernick play? Are you kidding me? That team would be a big favorite to win the SB if they had a healthy Manning throwing to Crabtree/Edwards/Davis and Gore was the running back. The defense is awesome. Can you imagine Alex Smith getting replaced by Peyton Manning? Kaepernick can play once Manning is done.

Can you imagine Alex Smith getting replaced by Peyton Manning? Kaepernick can play once Manning is done.

Were you being serious?

There is 0% chance that the 49ers sign Peyton Manning as a player, ever. At any position. For the entire history of 'ever.' Or the definition of the word 'position.'

Anyone see the line on the Bears/Eagles game? I haven't yet and I'm curious where the money's going on this one...

Right now Yahoo Sports has Philly as 8 pt favorites...

I see the game as a toss up. IDK if that makes me a homer or I just have very serious doubts about the Eagles. Wouldn't surprise me if they have a let down after their last game and they haven't been very good anyway.

For the record: I don't hate the Patriots. I usually just hate Patriot fans. Or more specifically Boston fans in general, regardless of the sport. Sure there are Patriot fans on here who are bearable, even likeable, but it doesn't make any of you any less insufferable on game day... :P

I do however simply hate the city of Pittsburgh and anything associated with it sportswise. It's irrational and I cannot explain it. I just go with it.

Now wasn't it agreed you weren't going to do that anymore...?

Do what?

And they would not want Manning so that they can let Kaepernick play? Are you kidding me? That team would be a big favorite to win the SB if they had a healthy Manning throwing to Crabtree/Edwards/Davis and Gore was the running back. The defense is awesome. Can you imagine Alex Smith getting replaced by Peyton Manning? Kaepernick can play once Manning is done.

And they're going to mortgage their future to bring Peyton to town when they've got their (they hope) quarterback of the future, and a solid team that's not in the position of "having to win right now"?

I think no, they are a solid team and they think that they've got their quarterback. They should be more concerned with just making the team better in general, rather than throwing everything away to get one player who can push them over the top (maybe) for 2-3 years.

And that's assuming that Peyton plays at the same level as he has the rest of his career. No, I just don't see it happening.

Do what?

"9ers"

It has to stop. We can schedule an intervention if you need it...

Right now Yahoo Sports has Philly as 8 pt favorites...

That just feels a little high. They must be desperate to get some money on Chicago. I can't make up my mind on this game. The Bears have done pretty well against Vick in the past...but then they S.U.C.K. on Monday night...

Has anyone read anything about Peyton playing again? I think it was Rockroi up above or in previous thread that said he thought Peyton was done for good. And I've not read any reports about his recovery from surgery. I thought there would be a story on that once a week, considering the high-profile player that he is.

Thanks for all the laughs provided so far in this thread, guys.

I am a Steelers fan first and foremost because I lived in the city for 4 years and was indoctrinated. I worship at the shrine of Troy Polamalu. I have an ambivalent relationship with Ben and don't feel terrible when he gets sacked multiple times a game.

I like the Saints because Drew Brees throws pretty.

I don't like other teams because of superficial reasons. I can't stand the Cowboys because Tony Romo dated Jessica Simpson and that automatically puts him out of contention in the race of good QBs. I don't care about the Falcons despite living in Atlanta longer than Pittsburgh because I think Matt Ryan looks derpy sometimes. I cheer every time Tom Brady takes a sack and feel satisfied when the Pats lose. Also, Tom Brady's ongoing hair saga. I don't like the Panthers because my husband went to UNC and I try not to like anything from North Carolina. I don't like the Eagles because of Philadelphia. I don't like the Jets because traffic caused by the Meadowlands fucking sucks. I don't like the Giants because Eli Manning definitely has a herp-derp face and I'm always surprised when he does something good. I don't like the Packers because a former friend is a rabid Packers fan and anything that causes him pain gives me joy.

Anything west of the MIssissippi doesn't exist.

I hope that Jay Cutler does well; he impressed me this season. And that's it.

Were you being serious?

There is 0% chance that the 49ers sign Peyton Manning as a player, ever. At any position. For the entire history of 'ever.' Or the definition of the word 'position.'

I agree as long as Harbaugh is the Head Coach. I think the Colts would have problems dealing Manning to any team with a hands on Head Coach who's either implemented or is trying to implement his own system. If you take on Manning you don't only take on a huge contract, you have to hand him the reins of the offense.

Honestly, I can't see why any team would take on that contract for a guy coming off a major surgery. I don't think it's even a viable option. If the Colts got the Luck pick they'd have to deal it.

Has anyone read anything about Peyton playing again? I think it was Rockroi up above or in previous thread that said he thought Peyton was done for good. And I've not read any reports about his recovery from surgery. I thought there would be a story on that once a week, considering the high-profile player that he is.

Word is that they're expecting that he will be able to play/practice by the end of December.

Been a Pats fan since 1995 when I moved out here for college, in the Parcells-Bledsoe years. I remember crowding around a tiny little dorm TV to watch that Packers-Pats Super Bowl... Which I still say was more competitive than popular lore remembers it. The defense was good that day. They had Willie McGinest, Ty Law, and Lawyer Milloy (the original Law Firm), the playmakers for the 2001 Super Bowl defense. I also didn't think Pete Carroll was a terrible head coach but history disagrees with me there as well.

By the by, my theory is that the Pats' defense hasn't been the same since Big Willie McGinest left. He had an, uh, conveniently timed injury when the Colts were driving to come back against the Pats in a regular season game in... 2003 I think. After the injury timeout he knifed in for a critical tackle for loss on Edge James. Sealed the game in a goal-line stand. He left in 2006 and the Pats defense ran out of gas in the defeat to the Colts in the playoffs when they had a 21-3 halftime lead.

I grew up rooting for the San Francisco 49ers because my best friend when I was eight years old who got me into football was a 49er fan. And shit, Joe Montana was a thrilling guy to root for. Though like others, my favorite player was Ronnie Lott. I loved his versatility, intelligence, and ferocity. I remember the 1990 NFC Championship Game, Lott running halfway across the field to break up a pass that Jim Everett hung up for one of his receivers, would have been a touchdown and a 10-0 lead for the Rams... instead the Niners rallied for a 30-3 stomping. I remember the CRACK of Ronnie Lott hitting Ickey Woods in Super Bowl 23. Up until then Woods had been running well against the Niners defense but he was strangely ineffective the rest of the game.

I guess I've always appreciated clutch play because it's nice to have someone come through against adverse situations... That's what I appreciate most in Brady and Montana. Though the defeat in Super Bowl 42 was pretty crushing, to see Brady finally fail on the big stage... Just one underthrown bomb to Moss, who had a step on his guy... Actually it felt strangely reminiscent of Belichick's Giants defense hounding and harassing Montana into a 15-13 five-field-goal defeat in the 1991 NFC Championship Game, preventing the Niner three-peat. Funny, huh?

I hate the Cowboys because they ended the 49ers dynasty, and because, well, it's the Cowboys. I don't loathe the Steelers that much because, Big Ben aside, they've been a respectable dynasty. Obviously I wish failure and disappointment on them in competition with the Patriots. I hated the Peyton Colts for all the obvious rivalry-related reasons... Contempt for them in the first half of the decade and fearful loathing after 2006. Jealousy that they got their Super Bowl win over Rex Fucking Grossman in a season when Manning threw a ton of picks in the playoffs but his defense actually "gelled" or whatever you want to call suddenly playing competently for the last six games of the season or something. Though I can only pity them now with Manning out and the organization folds like a cheap folding thing.

I also like Aaron Rodgers because he's a Cal guy and a lot of my high school friends went there and I had great times visiting them. I did wish the 49ers had drafted him.

Man, I love me some football memories.

ETA: On the Big Ben loathing: Look, the undisputed facts are awful. A famous multimillionaire pro QB plies a college girl with drinks, gets her drunk, and takes her into the bathroom while his off-duty cop buddies prevent her friends from checking on her. I mean, ye fucking gods. Oh, but he served his suspension without getting his nose dirty, found Jesus, got married, he's cool now, right? Roethlisberger is the guy who reminds you that your high school football team had a few overprivileged douchebags who pushed people around.

Also, Tom Brady's ongoing hair saga.

His hair is fine now. I have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

Has anyone read anything about Peyton playing again? I think it was Rockroi up above or in previous thread that said he thought Peyton was done for good.
Hee, but no, I was worried about him. Rockroi thinks he'll be fine.

The rumor is that the Colts want Manning to practice - not necessarily play, but practice - to see where he is as far as his progression and realistically whether or not he'll ever play again or at what level. There's a very good chance that with this injury Peyton loses all his arm strength and becomes the second coming of Pennington. Still valuable, but not nearly as threatening. And Manning's still not ready to do that or come close to do that.

Kalbear, Rockroi, same same.

December before he can even practice... yikes. I wonder if the state of the franchise weighs in on his decision with his career. He certainly doesn't need any money, I would think seeing the mess that the franchise is might nudge him towards "I've got my money, I've got my ring, I'll keep my legacy and exit stage left."

I think that as long as Peyton could in theory play he'll want to play somewhere. This is a guy who went into a game after breaking his jaw and playing one snap afterwards, and then he played for 3 weeks with his jaw wired shut. He's a massive competitor. I don't see him going quietly away, even if that would be the best for him. I don't think he'll pull a Favre but I think the only way he'll go away is when he's proven to himself he can't get it done.

Okay, but he's also by all accounts a really bright guy. He knows what happens to a body in football, especially as it ages. And multiple neck surgeries is bad news territory. I don't know his brain, I just think it would have entered his head that maybe it's not the best idea to try to sacrifice himself for a team that has such gaping holes.

Do what?

And they're going to mortgage their future to bring Peyton to town when they've got their (they hope) quarterback of the future, and a solid team that's not in the position of "having to win right now"?

And that's assuming that Peyton plays at the same level as he has the rest of his career. No, I just don't see it happening.

Good points. I was just pointing out that the '49ers (see I can be proper when I put my mind to it) was good enough to win right now with a pre injury Manning at the helm. Also the biggest piece of their current offense, Gore, will not be the force that he is in 2/3 years time.

Archived