Skyrim; Wielding Swords, and Banging Nords

Sivin

Bethesda have patched Skyrim. Bizarrely, this is to make it only possible for it to work with Steam and nothing else, and as a by-product it also kills the LAA patch which allows the game to use more than 2GB of RAM. There is a work-around for it for those with more than 2GB of memory (which, if you can play the game in the first place, should be most people).

Can you marry anyone you want? I want to marry my classmate from the College of Winterhold. How does marriage work?

On the Imperial side, they seem decent, but I do not look forward to working with the Thalmor.

I killed a band of their Justicars for sassing me.

It didn't take long at all to get to the first dragon fight. I already had the Dragon Stone from doing the Companions quest, so it was just: talk to Jarl Whats-his-name - go kill the dragon. On my way to see the Graybeards now, just in case that's necessary for random encounters. It's a long trip though.

I killed the bandits on the East side of Whiterun and stole their horse, thinking that would make the journey a little quicker. Had it for all of about a minute, at most, until I jumped down to kill another group of bandits and it ran away. Stupid animal. I doubt that I can just go to the Whiterun stables and pick up my stolen horse, so I made the journey on foot. It was pretty uneventful from there. Had to dodge around a camp of Giants, but that wasn't anything exciting.

When I got to the village near the Graybears (but apparently not containing them, despite that it's where they are marked on my map) I found a Troll lurking down by the river. Tried to kill it, but it was a bit too much for me, so I just ran off and went to the town. It followed me and attacked the town. At which point I died trying to fight it off.

That was it for the night. But I've got a 5 day weekend starting after today. Too bad I won't be able to catch up on some sleep.

ETA - and now I find out that Namco has finally localized the Dark Souls patch to the US. I guess I'm just not sleeping for the next week.

Can you marry anyone you want? I want to marry my classmate from the College of Winterhold. How does marriage work?

I killed a band of their Justicars for sassing me.

Some priest at the temple of Mara in riften talks about marriage and how you can buy an amulet of Mara to get married. While wearing the amulet, if you have already done the pre-req for getting "close" to the npc then you will see some different dialogue options. What you need to do varies by npc. It's also not every npc, but there is a huge list and your/their sex makes no difference. Everyone is bi where it's cold.

Since Saints Row 3 finally came in the mail yesterday I spent a lot of my free time last night playing that but I did find time for about an hour of Skyrim. I got up to Winterhold to see the College, though I'm not sure it makes much sense for my warrior to be joining or doing their quests. I'm not a serious role-player but I do at least try to have a consistent and semi-realistic (for the setting) character. And I must say, now that I've been to 5 of the 9 holds, thus far none of them really compare to Whiterun. They've all been smaller and less interesting and that's a little disappointing. There's still plenty of quests of course, but I was hoping for more cities, and bigger then Whiterun. I've heard Solitude is the capital city, so maybe it will be, though I dunno when I'll get out that way.

I had my 3rd death (and 1st non-dragon related one) last night too. Two trolls came up on me and I did manage to kill the first one but the second one got me shortly after I discovered that I'd been neglecting my inventory and didn't have any healing potions on me. I also discovered that I hadn't saved since I'd set out from town and had lost around 10 minutes of traveling.

Was hunting down some words of power last night when a dragon swooped out of the sky to fight me on top of a mountain.

Like they always seem to do, the dragon tried to kill Shadow Mare before coming after me. But I brought that bastard down (he actually tore up the ground when he crashed). Then, (I'm a vampire, so my health/magicka/fatigue don't regenerate in sunlight) a frost troll wanders up the mountain a few seconds later.

I had a funny moment of drawing my sword and saying "Let's dance, pretty boy..."

A couple of new complaints...

1. Mountains - I shouldn't have to say more. These graphical anomalies were by far my least favorite thing in Oblivion, so they made an entire game surrounding them. I can not say how much I hate navigating through these blocks of crappy scenery. They may look majestic from a distance, but running up to them sucks.

2. Dark Brotherhood missions

I just spent 25000 on a house in Solitude. Does everyone I have to kill live there? I even had to ice my next door neighbor, and now the town hates me.

Are all of the graphics complaints coming from the PC crowd?

I'm on my 360, and I've only had one or two instances of slow loading graphics or bad textures. And for me, everything looks gorgeous whether I'm 2 miles or 2 feet away.

People are complaining about graphics? 360's draw distance and textures are better than the PS3's. But it's really not that big of a difference. Maybe that's it?

The PS3 crowd is also complaining quite a bit about the game lagging to the extent of being unplayable, which is somehow related to the size of save files - 10mb and up. I haven't had a problem myself, but I've only put in 7 hours, so my save is still tiny. That'll be patched in the next couple of days anyhow.

I am on a ps3 and I have crazy lag problems as well. It gets worse the further in he game that you go. I have deleted most of my save files as well. If you restart the game, it usually helps for a while.

What I am talking about is the blocks of graphics they call mountains when you are climbing. When you get close to them, the whole screen turns into a jibberish mess. You can have the fastest video card and PC in the world, but that would still look like crap..

also, the image still doesn't fit my screen, and when I write Bethesda, they blame Sony...

Explored the northern coast last night - beautiful scenery and some fun locations.

I like the living world/politics aspect; I was wandering around the Solitude mountain area and came across some Storm-cloak spies/saboteurs in the midst of a night raid on the Imperials... they ran into them and, not sure which side to take, I watched them fight it out. After the Stormcloaks lay dead the Imperials said, get out of here, while I was busy looting the Stormcloak bodies. Then the Imperials attacked me!? They were low in HP from their fight so it only took a few swings. Easy loot.

My complaints so far:

* Wish traders and Lydia would just shut up when you go to the same command, "let's trade stuff": instead you have to listen to them complete the same sentence for the Nth time before the trade interface opens. Drives me crazy.

* While there are just as many locations in Skyrim as in Oblivion, the Skyrim locales are tiny by comparison. Some of them... only a few rooms. Booooo.

* Minor issue: I miss being able to allocate trait points at level up. As a hoarder I need to carry a lot of stuff, increasing STR in Oblivion was a great for a fighter type = more damage and more stuff.

-Phillip.

I think that might be a problem for the PS3. I've had no problems with lag, or with the mountains looking bad. In fact, they look terrific.

Have you tried climbing mountains? get close enough to see the walls and you can get lost in graphic hell. This can happen in all Bethesda games in all formats. It is particularly irksome in Skyrim because of all the traveling in mountains

So in order to start the Thieves Guild quests you need to get to Riften first, correct? Also where is that Dark Brotherhood boy located?

Yes. And the DB kid is in Winterhelm in an elevated house to the right of the inn.

Archived