Rate the fantasy series you have read

Lord Reek

It's sad that I don't know more than 75% of the authors and books spoken of on this board, but I am very familiar with the sharting hipppo.

@Mikael: Well I rated it 10/10 because IMO, it's the greatest thing ever created in entertainment (be it books, music, art, games or movies). It sounds kinda fanboyish and it totally is. I have heard terrible things about WOT so please elaborate on why I should read it because I'm not very temped to do so right now.

I really cannot list all the reasons why you should give the Wheel of Time a try; for me I think is some of the epic stuff in the books (like battles) and some of the characters; there is a multitude of characters, so there's bound to be a few that you would like.

But if you're still not sure, go to the library and start reading for no other reason than the fact that this you won't have to wait long for the next (and final) book in the series.

When I worked at a small retail start up as a lowly clerk, I often read a book and a half a day. I am friends with a loan writer who listens to audio books anytime he isn't on the phone.

But ya, we have a Forum group on goodreads, here. Lot of good rankings, and I have pulled a ton of recs for my to-read list off it, including many I would not have touched with a ten foot pole without several recs.

I use to read about 2 or 3 books a week before husband and kid. I also was working full time as a social worker. I have never gotten back up to speed.

Face it way back then HBO was not up to speed either and computer was Prodigy

The Lord of the Rings (including The Hobbit) 10 out of 10

Harry Potter 10/10

A Song of Ice and Fire 10/10

As a mom I had the ultimate pleasure of reading The Hobbit and LotR to my daughter, thus creating a fan for life.

I also read Harry 1, 2 and 3, over and over again. Anne read on her own at Goblet of Fire, of course we were buying 2 H.P.s at a time.

Anne also won a contest to meet J.K. Rowling in London with 6 other American Muggles for the Deathly Hallows. She hates me to tell people this but she is not on this board.

I posted at the end of the thread.

I love Harry Potter too

I would suggest to everyone who read Lord of the Rings in High School to read it again as an adult.

Also try Teen Fantasy/ sci-fic. True, some horrible books out there

but the

Rot and Ruin series by Jonathan Maberry is excellent

I would recommend only the first book of Hunger Games

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Wheel of Time

DragonFlight (series) Anna McCafferey

currently reading Divergent by Veronica Roth

my next book will be Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

I think this is a good thread for those of us who more picky about what we read (and those of us who don't do reviews and therefore have to read everything). That being said i'm not a big fan of the 10 point scale. What does a 7 have that a 6 doesn't? I like the 5 point scale. Easier to justify.

Fives: ASoIaF, Long Price (Daniel Abraham), Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter

Fours: First Law (Abercrombie), Wheel of Time,

Threes: Monarchies of God (Kearney), Memory of Flames (Deas), Farseer (Hobb), Sanderson's stuff, Kingkiller Chronicles (Rothfuss - may move up when finished)

Twos: S.L Farrell's Trilogy (can't remember name but not the cloud ones), Greg Key's series(bone, thorn something...), Psalms of Isaac(forget author), Night Angel Trilogy (Weeks)

Ones(did not think enough of to continue): Malazan, Bakker's stuff, Shadows of the Apt, JV Jone's series(both),

I'm sure I am missing some obvious series that I read but that's of the top of my head.

I think this is a good thread for those of us who more picky about what we read (and those of us who don't do reviews and therefore have to read everything)

I found this website called www.westeros.org. Somewhere in there, there was a series thread in their forum. That's what i like to use for this problem.

I think this is a good thread for those of us who more picky about what we read (and those of us who don't do reviews and therefore have to read everything). That being said i'm not a big fan of the 10 point scale. What does a 7 have that a 6 doesn't? I like the 5 point scale. Easier to justify.

Fives: ASoIaF, Long Price (Daniel Abraham), Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter

Fours: First Law (Abercrombie), Wheel of Time,

Threes: Monarchies of God (Kearney), Memory of Flames (Deas), Farseer (Hobb), Sanderson's stuff, Kingkiller Chronicles (Rothfuss - may move up when finished)

Twos: S.L Farrell's Trilogy (can't remember name but not the cloud ones), Greg Key's series(bone, thorn something...), Psalms of Isaac(forget author), Night Angel Trilogy (Weeks)

Ones(did not think enough of to continue): Malazan, Bakker's stuff, Shadows of the Apt, JV Jone's series(both),

I'm sure I am missing some obvious series that I read but that's of the top of my head.

A 10 point scale has the 5,5 (barely passable), 6,5 (a little more than okay), and my favorite, the 7,5 (good but not great, an enjoyable an interesting read with some fairly big flaws).

That being said, I think Abercrombie is higly overrated, but to each his own. It's just superhard to find a really enjoyable read after ASOIAF.

It's sad that I don't know more than 75% of the authors and books spoken of on this board, but I am very familiar with the sharting hipppo.

@Mikael: Well I rated it 10/10 because IMO, it's the greatest thing ever created in entertainment (be it books, music, art, games or movies). It sounds kinda fanboyish and it totally is. I have heard terrible things about WOT so please elaborate on why I should read it because I'm not very temped to do so right now.

Well, for one thing, and this may be a stretch, but it is not entirely out of place to say that without the Wheel of Time, there would be no ASoIaF. Not only do I think that WoT has influenced GRRM a lot, but WoT's success paved the way for this epic fantasy genre as well to some extent. I suppose that someone will scream LotR, but there's like a fifty year gap between LotR and WoT without much between in terms of huge successes. I personally wouldn't label myself a fantasy reader, but for those who do, WoT is a must read.

More importantly, the flaws aside (women, plot armor), it is a really good series. It is true that Jordan let it get derailed at the end, too bloated, much like Dany''s arc, however, Sanderson has wrapped it up nicely in the last two books. The great loss for anyone jumping on at this stage is the lack of theory crafting, I started reading the books something like 15 years ago, so I've spent my fair share on the equivalent of this site, reading any theory I could lay my hands on, that immense added worth to the series will unfortunately be missed, the same will be true for ASoIaF in a couple of years, but to a fantasy reader, I think it will still be a great read.

To some extent, GRRM has taken the opposite route of fe Jordan, in the sense that he started out with the politics and war, only to narrow it down towards the fight between good and evil with the avatars of goodness Jon and Dany(!? ;). Jordan went the more classical way of the farmer boys journey, but with the slight twist of the hero becoming conquerer, only to bring it back to the good vs evil in the end.

Read it or don't ;) I'm a Jordan critic myself in the right environment, but to discard him as trash because he likes to describe dresses is ...

Archived