Books you simply Could Not Read

litechick

I just thought of another book I couldn't finish: The God Delusion. I just found the militant atheism to be just as annoying as militant theism.

Haha. Militant atheism! Nice. I'm with you there. Like someone said about Dawkens once, "He's the type of guy i became an atheist to get away from".

The Fellowship of the Ring. I just couldn't get into the book version of this story. The hated reading all of the songs and poetry. I found Gandalf to be the only interesting character. Then when he died, I gave up on the book.

Should we spoil it for him?

For me I could never finish CS Lewis's third space trilogy book "That Hideous Strength". I also had to stop in the middle of the eighth Wheel of Time. I just totally lost interest and couldn't keep the characters straight anymore. Other than that, i think I have pretty much finished every book I set out to read all the way through, besides collections of short stories and such.

Can I mention psychanalysis authors? Jacques Lacan seems to have made a point of making it impossible to understand even a single paragraph of what he writes. I wonder how anyone manages.

Oh, and then there are the Left Behind books. Good thing I'm not a Christian. It helps in keeping my despise for those books at manageable levels.

How about books you simply can not read because you find the authors views absolutely disgusting, or the author is a a douche?

Orson Scott Card and Richard Morgan and John Ringo all come to mind.

John Ringo got a lot of respect from me for 1) showing up and praising the reviewer of OH JOHN RINGO NO 2) admitting straight-up that the whole series came from the Bad Place 3) being totally cool with the t-shirts, and all proceeds going to domestic violence charities.

John Ringo got a lot of respect from me for 1) showing up and praising the reviewer of OH JOHN RINGO NO 2) admitting straight-up that the whole series came from the Bad Place 3) being totally cool with the t-shirts, and all proceeds going to domestic violence charities.

Far enough.

In a way, its like the Mel Gibson effect. The guy is suck a fuckwit I can't even enjoy the older stuff I used to. It's hard to watch him scream FREEEEDOM when you know he's thinking"except for the Jews and gays and blacks and women and Mexicans..."

How about books you simply can not read because you find the authors views absolutely disgusting, or the author is a a douche?

Orson Scott Card and Richard Morgan and John Ringo all come to mind.

What's wrong with Richard Morgan?

I'll second Years of Rice and Salt.

Late-KSR just seems to be very difficult for me to read, since I also ended up dropping the "Science in the Capital" series partway through Fifty Degrees Below. The guy needed a serious editor, and needed to clamp down severely on the use of the character Frank Vanderwal (who may have the most irritating internal monologue that I've ever read from a character).

Lummel,

Sometimes there is no point really getting up and doing something in between. You might as well just lounge with a book and wait for the clock to come round to feeding time again.

Amber? Roger Zelazny's Amber? So that book would be "The Guns of Avalon", right?

I had to google it since I got the entire set based on other people's ravings about how Amber was the best thing since sliced bread and then some, but yes, I do believe the second volume is called "The Guns of Avalon". It bored me to tears. The first one ended up somewhere between offensive and dull, but I can't really say I got through much of second one to judge if it was vastly different. From what I remember, it was about the same.

Can I also admit to not getting through Gormenghast? I feel better about it now when Hereward is in the same boat!

I didn't find it difficult at all.

Never said it was difficult. I said it was pretentious shit. I tried PSS as well, and found that he includes things for the sake of being weird, not because they made the story any more compelling.

I'd really rather not get into it on here, its probably not appropriate. Let's say he's posted things I find insulting.

Now here you go, Grack, we were just starting to see eye to eye and now you fart in my eye. I'll say that you need to give the book a try, it's good.

The City and the City

Perhaps it is just a coincidence, but every time I sit down to read this book I develop a headache so severe that I can't continue on. I have tried reading it four times now and the same thing has happened each time. I don't think I have made it more than twenty pages into the book. I want to read it, but it seems there is something about it that does not agree with me.

Never said it was difficult. I said it was pretentious shit. I tried PSS as well, and found that he includes things for the sake of being weird, not because they made the story any more compelling.

Now here you go, Grack, we were just starting to see eye to eye and now you fart in my eye. I'll say that you need to give the book a try, it's good.

Yeah I had a bit of a snit fit the last two days. I'll get to them sometime. Right now i have 400+ books on my TBR pile.

The City and the City

Perhaps it is just a coincidence, but every time I sit down to read this book I develop a headache so severe that I can't continue on. I have tried reading it four times now and the same thing has happened each time. I don't think I have made it more than twenty pages into the book. I want to read it, but it seems there is something about it that does not agree with me.

It won a Hugo Award in the same year and category as The Wind-Up Girl. Clearly it has been tainted.

Oh, The Dwarves by Heitz. THe most mind numbing book I've ever read outside of a class. I wonder if it just has a bad translation, since it's so popular overseas. The writing is terrible. It's so basic it reads like a kids book.

The dwarf was short. The dwarf had a beard. The dwarf liked his beard. The dwarf was thirsty so the dwarf drank beer.

As other have mentioned before : Lord Foul's Bane.

I was already having trouble with all the Random Capitals added to every Word and every Name but then I got to the rape scene and just gave her entirely.

Also I've been trying to read An Echo in the Bone for about 4 months while I finished most of the others in a week. I just don't like the new POV she added and have to stop reading for a week at least before I can get the courage to try again every time I reach one of those new POV chapters.

Archived