Video Games, The Gameocolypse

ICE CROW

HL2 is more emotional than any game I have ever played because it is a true experience. Say what you want about the game, but people saying it sucked weren't paying attention. But, I'll not rant about that anymore.

Currently playing through Skyward Sword. Some really interesting stuff, but some great missed potential. I really think the people complaining about the motion controls are really neurotic. They integrate well and make the game a true wonder to play at times. Unfortunately, these most awesome moments are usually marred by their lacking. Like flying, for instance, is the most exciting flight sim I've played since the joystick days. It's utilized so little though... Also, I immediately discredit anyone who says the game is "just the same thing". The first two minutes of this game show the radical differences instantly, even in basic gameplay.

The "Oooh New Shiny" feeling of Kingdoms of Amalur has finally worn off. While the game is pretty large, combat is now ridiculously easy - even on hardest setting. It started off relatively engaging and hard as I ignored all the pre-order bonus starting gear (ridiculously overpowered for low levels) and just followed the normal gearing route. As I diversified between all the trees combat stayed cool for quite a while. But I'm now level 25ish and I havent had a hard fight in an age. Kind of disappointing as the combat system is the main draw of this game. Having just a fuck tonne more enemies (DA2 D:) could help, but right now I feel like a god, just slaying shit left, right and centre.

Because of SWToR and KoA I hadnt played SC2 in over a month, logged onto my US account and got my ass handed to me, got demoted to Platinum and after an hour or two of laddering, got back into Diamond. Its amazing how much my multitasking dropped after a month of MMO-RPGs.

The "Oooh New Shiny" feeling of Kingdoms of Amalur has finally worn off. While the game is pretty large, combat is now ridiculously easy - even on hardest setting. It started off relatively engaging and hard as I ignored all the pre-order bonus starting gear (ridiculously overpowered for low levels) and just followed the normal gearing route. As I diversified between all the trees combat stayed cool for quite a while. But I'm now level 25ish and I havent had a hard fight in an age. Kind of disappointing as the combat system is the main draw of this game. Having just a fuck tonne more enemies (DA2 D:) could help, but right now I feel like a god, just slaying shit left, right and centre.

Because of SWToR and KoA I hadnt played SC2 in over a month, logged onto my US account and got my ass handed to me, got demoted to Platinum and after an hour or two of laddering, got back into Diamond. Its amazing how much my multitasking dropped after a month of MMO-RPGs.

How many games of SC2 were you able to get in about 2 hours, just curious.

HL2 is more emotional than any game I have ever played because it is a true experience. Say what you want about the game, but people saying it sucked weren't paying attention. But, I'll not rant about that anymore.

The fact that someone might not like something you like does not invalidate their opinion, no matter how many times you say it.

How many games of SC2 were you able to get in about 2 hours, just curious.

Most matches are between 8-15mins. 6 gate zerg - blink protoss - 3gate robo terran

Disclaimer: an hour or two = sitting at my pc for the entire day laddering in an effort to get back into diamond

Anyone played Soul Calibur V?

Yep, I'm playing it on PS3. First SC game since the first one for me, save a half hour or so of disappointment with the second one. I used to be pretty okay at SC1 but I am pretty bad at SCV. Let me know if you want to play. Not cross-platform multiplayer, so you'd have to be on PS3 as well.

This bronze player wonders wtf you have to do to get your ass handed on platinum...

Then again, I haven't had a chance to play in 2 months so ... yah

Yep, I'm playing it on PS3. First SC game since the first one for me, save a half hour or so of disappointment with the second one. I used to be pretty okay at SC1 but I am pretty bad at SCV. Let me know if you want to play. Not cross-platform multiplayer, so you'd have to be on PS3 as well.

Iv'e been an Xbox man for three months now since my PS3 broke down. But i wouldn't want to play with someone who insults SCII, anyway. That game was closer to fighting game perfection as anything yet released.

Ended up getting Assassin's Creed: Revelations after I saw that Best Buy was selling it for $29.99. It's decent, but kinda feels like a retread at this point. The gameplay is still fun and all (except the tower defense game, ugh) but it feels a little tired by this point too. I know that AC3 is going to be set in a new era and I hope this means significantly changed gameplay too; its time. Also while its definitely cool to be playing a character who's an old man, Ezio just isn't very interesting in this game. He's doesn't have much to say or learn or discover, he's an expert going through the motions to reach his goal; which makes sense, considering his experience, but isn't incredibly compelling. Its early goings yet though, so maybe things will get more interesting going forward.

Also despite what I said about quitting my replay of Skyrim after the Thieves Guild questline glitched out on only the 3rd mission I ended up continuing to play anyway. I've encountered another major glitch that I didn't the first time I played which is that anytime I'm anywhere near the Companion's mead hall one of them starts following me around and constantly starts a conversation. He follows me in doors and interrupts me if I try to talking to anyone; meaning its also impossible to do the Companions questline. Luckily I did that on my first character so that one isn't as upsetting. I've completed the Dark Brotherhood quest line, which was a lot of fun, as well as a bunch of Daedra quests (which my goody two-shoes warrior had also skipped) and some other random quests. I'm level 28 now and have my sneaking and archery raised to the point that I can one-shot almost anyone and if I don't the enemies don't see me even if they run right in front of me.

I'm not sure how much more I'm going to play though since I prefer quests to just random exploration and between my two playthroughs there's not a lot of quests that I haven't accomplished (except the damn thieves guild). On the other hand this being a terror in the dark is pretty cool and I do enjoy exploring the dwemer ruins so I might keep going for a while. I never did explore Blackreach much either in my first game. So we'll see. The goal is to have this and AC:R last me until ME3. Otherwise I'll have to go back to actually finishing off Bioshock (up to Fort Frolic) or continuing my career as the greatest pitcher of all time on MLB2K11. (Top difficulty settings; career 78-29 1.27 ERA, 0.73 WHIP, 1028K, BAA .197, 43 complete games, 22 shutouts, 1 perfect game; and since he's on the Nationals he's a great hitter too, .413, 32HR, 88RBI)

Anyone played Soul Calibur V?

Yep. Haven't played SC since the third one, and I'd forgotten how much I loved these games. The fighting is just so satisfying to me. Good thing Siegfried is still going strong too, because there's no way I could have beaten Legendary Souls without him.

The character creation mode is really good in this game--tons of detail, and the wacky characters you can create are hilarious.

That game was closer to fighting game perfection as anything yet released.

I agree. As much as I like SCV, I doubt any SC game will ever reach that height again. Lost so many hours on that game.

So after catching a couple of videos and production articles almost at random yesterday, Guild Wars 2 has now come out of nowhere to vault near the top of my most-wanted list. I mean "out of nowhere" quite literally - I never played the original and was only vaguely aware the sequel was in development. Apparently this past weekend was a beta of some sort which I missed. Did anyone play and if so, what were your impressions? I'm especially interested in the role mechanics which supposedly turn the MMO "holy trinity" on its ear.

So after catching a couple of videos and production articles almost at random yesterday, Guild Wars 2 has now come out of nowhere to vault near the top of my most-wanted list.  I mean "out of nowhere" quite literally - I never played the original and was only vaguely aware the sequel was in development.  Apparently this past weekend was a beta of some sort which I missed.  Did anyone play and if so, what were your impressions?  I'm especially interested in the role mechanics which supposedly turn the MMO "holy trinity" on its ear.

The last I saw, I think on ign, its possibly coming to consoles. I'm not exactly sure how that will work though.

So after catching a couple of videos and production articles almost at random yesterday, Guild Wars 2 has now come out of nowhere to vault near the top of my most-wanted list. I mean "out of nowhere" quite literally - I never played the original and was only vaguely aware the sequel was in development. Apparently this past weekend was a beta of some sort which I missed. Did anyone play and if so, what were your impressions? I'm especially interested in the role mechanics which supposedly turn the MMO "holy trinity" on its ear.

I don't come to this forum too often any more but since I'm here and my mission here is guild wars 2 related anyway... as far as I am aware noone here can say if they were involved in the beta last weekend because it was under NDA and only the press invitees were allowed to write and post videos of their experiences. From what I've seen of the guild tags flying during those videos several well known guilds were also represented in that beta weekend though.

That said... ArenaNet have opened signups for their future betas for Guild Wars 2 for the next 48 hours. Head on over to their website and hit the massive sign up button on the front page. The FAQ indicates that you'll need to sign an NDA to do those betas and either be over 18 or have a parent/guardian do the account making + NDA signing on your behalf. Not sure what NDA signing means for thsoe of us who are overseas. I'd imagine mail takes a while to get to their offices.

I don't come to this forum too often any more but since I'm here and my mission here is guild wars 2 related anyway... as far as I am aware noone here can say if they were involved in the beta last weekend because it was under NDA and only the press invitees were allowed to write and post videos of their experiences. From what I've seen of the guild tags flying during those videos several well known guilds were also represented in that beta weekend though.

Hmm, cloak & dagger.

Can you elaborate on your GW2 related mission, or is that information classified as well? ;)

That said... ArenaNet have opened signups for their future betas for Guild Wars 2 for the next 48 hours. Head on over to their website and hit the massive sign up button on the front page. The FAQ indicates that you'll need to sign an NDA to do those betas and either be over 18 or have a parent/guardian do the account making + NDA signing on your behalf. Not sure what NDA signing means for thsoe of us who are overseas. I'd imagine mail takes a while to get to their offices.

Thanks, I actually saw that earlier in a tweet. Gonna sign up when I get home from work.

Archived