Pregnant Women

Guest Raidne

Rune, a barrista is someone who prepares coffee at a coffee shop (a la Starbucks).

Barrista = starbucks word coined to describe the person who makes your coffee.

A barista (a term Google knows) is a person who prepares coffee. Barrista is a term used by people who think the employees at Starbucks are baristas and not button-pushers.

ETA: Shit, AG is right.

Eat NO cold cuts of meat (bye bye, Subway), no hot tubs or super hot baths (even when your muscles are aching like an arthritic 90-year old), oh, and forget peanut butter, because that's not really recommended either - something about increasing the risk of a peanut allergy. Artificial sweeteners are out, but hey, sugar? Why the hell not?

My sister who had I think two Subway sandwiches during her pregnancy due to cravings. At a family gathering my aunt over heard, and sounded a lot like Salt does now. IT'S BAD FOR THE BABY! HOW HARD IS IT TO ABSTAIN FROM SOMETHING THAT IS BAD FOR THAT BABY YOU HAVING GROWING INSIDE OF YOU?!

Seriously it was kind of awe inspiring to watch. Eventually we had to flee the party just to get rid of the aunt (I was my sister's ride). Everyone has an opinion about what you should do with your body when pregnant. Everyone one wants to help you make the right decisions, that to is very scary.

That's fine. She's more than welcome to.

Who said anything about banning anyone from anything? I stated that I could not in good conscience procure harmful substances for someone I knew to be pregnant. I also reserve my right to tell someone when they're being a fucking idiot.

Yup, and I reserve the right to tell you and your ilk to go f*ck yourselves when you give me unsolicited advice. It all works out and the universe is in balance :)

Look, if I wouldn't go buy liquor for a friend that I knew had an alcohol problem and who was pregnant. However, I'm not going to tell a stranger what she should or shouldn't be doing, and I'm certainly not going to impose some sort of liability on a liquor store clerk for selling a bottle of wine to a woman obviously in her third trimester.

Really? Did not know. I had an English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast virtually every weekday of my second pregnancy.

Great, now I subjected my then-fetus not only to 3-4 ounces of poisonous, evil wine, but also to several jars of life-threatening peanut butter. (Oh, and caffeine. And artificial sweetener.)

Wow. It's a mercy.

My sister who had I think two Subway sandwiches during her pregnancy due to cravings. At a family gathering my aunt over heard, and sounded a lot like Salt does now. IT'S BAD FOR THE BABY! HOW HARD IS IT TO ABSTAIN FROM SOMETHING THAT IS BAD FOR THAT BABY YOU HAVING GROWING INSIDE OF YOU?!

Seriously it was kind of awe inspiring to watch. Eventually we had to flee the party just to get rid of the aunt (I was her ride). Everyone has an opinion about what you should do with your body when pregnant. Everyone one wants to help you make the right decisions, that to is very scary.

Yep, a sandwich is the same as alcohol. God knows the shocking statistics of Fetal Subway Syndrome and the many deaths caused each year Sandwich Poisoning. If you think alcohol being bad for a baby is an "opinion", you have not reached a level of maturity where you should have become pregnant.

I wouldn't know, but this is a hypothetical situation.

I was thinking more like If a pregnant women comes to my house for a dinner or a party and ask for a glass of wine I would say no.

You and I would not get along....

For reasons that have already been spelled out, there is no reason why a pregnant person shouldn't have a glass of wine now and then.

Certain types of food can be harmful. Alcohol is always harmful. Its a poison, thats what it does, and its the only thing it ever does. This isn't some vegan hippie theory or new-age pregnancy bullshit, the only thing drinking alcohol will ever do is poison people's bodies. It is its sole reason for its existence. The average person doesn't really have any way of knowing if the sushi they're about to eat could be harmful, but everyone with a brain knows that putting alcohol into the system of a devloping baby is an extremely shitty thing to do.

It isn't difficult to go 9 months without drinking. Its incredibly easy.

Are you like six years old? Or maybe you grew up in a monastery? Alcohol has a central position in our society. In addition to its position as a compliment to cuisine, it acts as a critical social lubricant and signifier. Hell, if it wasn't for alcohol we might all still be hunter-gatherers.

The idea of being unable to abstain from alcohol for 9 months is hard for to me to wrap my head around. You could do that at a party college with ease, you can probably do it while your pregnant. A little alcohol will almost certainly not hurt your baby, one glass of wine will be fine 99 percent of the time. But since its your baby and there is never any actual reason to drink, if you take the risk anyway you're a pretty immature person, no way around that.

Yep, a sandwich is the same as alcohol. God knows the shocking statistics of Fetal Subway Syndrome and the many deaths caused each year Sandwich Poisoning. If you think alcohol being bad for a baby is an "opinion", you have not reached a level of maturity where you should have become pregnant.

Actually, it's a BAD BAD THING.

The problem here is simple. Everyone has forgotten that a woman* of apparently child-bearing age is actually not a woman anymore, but a fetal life-support system. Folic acid for everybody over 12! No caffeine for anybody! PUT DOWN THAT SUSHI RIGHT NOW, MADAM!

* I don't have hard stats, but I don't think trans men are treated as pre-pregnant the same way. And when/if they do become pregnant, they are bombarded with a different kind of judgement altogether.

A barista (a term Google knows) is a person who prepares coffee. Barrista is a term used by people who think the employees at Starbucks are baristas and not button-pushers.

ETA: Shit, AG is right.

Hah, so I'm a crappy speller. This is particularly embarassing because I ran the on-campus coffee bar for two years when I was at University. I make a mean latte.

I would never walk up to a pregnant woman and smack a glass of wine out of her hand, if she wants to put posion into her child's body that is her decision. One glass of wine is almost certainly not going to harm a baby, but its still a generally shitty idea. I could personally never fathom giving even a drop of poison to a child, and before having a baby with a woman I would make sure we were both on the same page about that.

There just aren't that many cases in life where you adbsolutely need to drink. The life of a child is just too important to treat with an attitude of "well, it will amost certainly be fine". Nine months is not a long time by any stretch of the imagination.

Actually, when you are pregnant, nine months are endless. It begins (at least for me) for 10 solid weeks of vomiting and nausea and needing to pee approximately every 15 minutes. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it starts to get better, and you start to think, hey, maybe this isn't so awful, you start to show and people start asking questions and generally getting all up in your business about things that are none of their business (ranging from the sex of your child to how it was conceived to, you know, what you happen to be eating and drinking at that moment). After 12 weeks of relative comfort, you start to get huge. You waddle like a duck. You start to get short of breath. You have to pee approximately every 14 mintues. Your hands, feet and ankles swell. If you are super lucky, you might have been diagnosed with GD, so you are either taking an insulin shot or are on a very limited diet. You can't get cool. You can't sleep at night both because you have to pee approximately every 14 minutes, and because every once in a while someone decides to kick you in the kidneys. I think, in relative terms, the 40 weeks of pregnancy (it's not 9 months, btw) are equivalent to maybe 2 years of non-pregnant life?

Only thing longer is the first 3-6 months of the baby's life. Those might as well be endless.

I wouldn't know, but this is a hypothetical situation.

I was thinking more like If a pregnant women comes to my house for a dinner or a party and ask for a glass of wine I would say no.

Social hint - don't serve alcohol to anyone at your event if you are going to deny it to someone.

I would never walk up to a pregnant woman and smack a glass of wine out of her hand, if she wants to put posion into her child's body that is her decision. One glass of wine is almost certainly not going to harm a baby, but its still a generally shitty idea. I could personally never fathom giving even a drop of poison to a child, and before having a baby with a woman I would make sure we were both on the same page about that.

There just aren't that many cases in life where you adbsolutely need to drink. The life of a child is just too important to treat with an attitude of "well, it will amost certainly be fine". Nine months is not a long time by any stretch of the imagination.

having just watched my wife go through this - carry a 35lb rock on your tummy for 8ish months, then come back and report how you feel. Oh, and start eating successively smaller meals each and every day because your stomach & intestines are now being compressed. Please shorten your breath to 1/2 of what you are doing now because your lungs are compressed as well. Pee...what, every 35 minutes? oh, but don't actually pee each time. Just think you need to, prepare for it and then find out you don't need to. Then, if something goes wrong, go lay on a couch for 3 weeks. 9 months is a really fucking long time.

BTW, the Dr that delivered our son - her ob/gyn- told Krista explicitly that in her 3rd trimester a glass of wine would not have an impact as the development that it could impact has all ready been completed.

Seeing advice from time to time about what pregnant women are meant to do and not do I'm frequently surprised that woman have - apparently - managed to successfully carry children to term for millions of years. But then anecdotally I suppose I should be unborn considering that my mother smoked and drank while lugging me about for the full nine months, the uncharitable might say that this explains a lot...

Maybe we should take comfort that pregnant women are no longer advided not to look at rabbits in case their children are born with floppy ears.

Archived