Pregnant Women

Guest Raidne

Hey if we're using anecdotal evidence here my mum didn't drink any alcohol at all during her pregnancy with me (yes this includes first trimester, she stopped drinking for sixteen months) and I'm autistic. My birth left her with post-natal depression and she started drinking a bit, less (maybe an occasional cup of wine) when she found out she was pregnant with my sister, who is not autistic and currently an honours student. The moral of the story is that alcohol protects you against the autism spectrum fairy.

I'm not saying it's an ideal solution or that I know it was the right thing to do. It was a tough call for me at the time. Maybe you think that means I'm a total harridan who constantly berates everyone for their inferiority, but I think you're being a little harsh.

No worries, Raidne. A very good author once had one of his beloved characters say that "Even the lie...was not without honor." ;)

I just assume that someone who is old and mature enough to get pregnant is old and mature enough to know what is good for them and their baby. Not always true, of course, but you can't go around making assumptions about people and telling them what to do without them asking for your opinion first.

And touching random pregnant women in public is really weird...I mean, why would you?

Eat NO cold cuts of meat (bye bye, Subway), no hot tubs or super hot baths (even when your muscles are aching like an arthritic 90-year old), oh, and forget peanut butter, because that's not really recommended either - something about increasing the risk of a peanut allergy. Artificial sweeteners are out, but hey, sugar? Why the hell not?

Also runny eggs, soft serve icecream and preprepared salads or vegetables.

All of which I ate. I don't even like soft serve or eggs but I craved both during two of my pregnancies, nothing like telling me I shouldn't have something to make me want it.

Raids,

Did she ever notice that you changed her order to a halfcaf?

Does that really matter? The point still boils down to "were you countering the decisions of a presumably-competent human being?" Yes, it was a decision made in "the best interests of the child", but the people shaming pregnant women for having cold cuts or replacing wheat bread with folic acid bread were doing the same thing. They might even be right, but it's still not their decision to make.

WTF is it with people thinking it's okay to touch someone's person if they are carrying a developing baby? Fuckers. Then, they have the audacity to reach out and touch the poor kid after they're born! What, Just because they are tiny and can't tell you to fuck off that makes it okay for a perfect stranger to ruffle their hair or squeeze their chubby little leg?

Don't touch me. Dont touch my kids. And fuck off while you're at it.

That shit really pisses me off.

As for what you can't have while you're pregnant, well that differs from doctor to doctor. I actually had the doctor who gave the sonagram tell me to 'ignore' my OB/GYn, that a glass of wine here or there wasn't a problem, as my OB told me no alcohol under any circumstances.

My only issue was the lack of neproxen. My left hip is bad news, even more so carrying my little cubs. But I snuck in some cold-cut sammies a couple of times. The horror!

B-b-but all alcohol is poison.

Luckily the overpriced beer I drink won't go into a baby, but rather a toilet (on a good night). If there happens to be a baby in said toilet, nothing I can do about that, its New York City.

Raids,

Did she ever notice that you changed her order to a halfcaf?

No, but I don't think it really matters. Just seemed like the best way for her to drink coffee drinks in the cafe all day while dealing with my own hang-ups about it. Note I didn't make it decaf so apparently I wasn't feeling all that self-righteous about it.

WTF is it with people thinking it's okay to touch someone's person if they are carrying a developing baby? Fuckers. Then, they have the audacity to reach out and touch the poor kid after they're born! What, Just because they are tiny and can't tell you to fuck off that makes it okay for a perfect stranger to ruffle their hair or squeeze their chubby little leg?

I'm even stunned by the fact that so many women seem to be ok with letting friends/coworkers hold their babies, that would scare the hell out of me. And yet I've had cousins practially push their kids into my arms, and it makes me nervous. Do not place a small, fleshy, fragile container of all your hopes and dreams into my hands. I drop shit.

Luckily the overpriced beer I drink won't go into a baby, but rather a toilet (on a good night). If there happens to be a baby in said toilet, nothing I can do about that, its New York City.

But alcohol could effect the sperm you produce months down the road, thus damaging any fetus you might later conceive! http://fertilityfactor.com/alcohol-sperm.html

Yup, and I reserve the right to tell you and your ilk to go f*ck yourselves when you give me unsolicited advice. It all works out and the universe is in balance :)

this is my reaction pretty much.

look, we can argue endlessly about what foods and drinks are harmful to a fetus, and we're not going to agree 100% on that. but that's not really the point, the question was it ok for perfect strangers to police what a pregnant woman does. I say no, not generally. Sure, if I see a pregnant woman shooting heroin I'm gonna call the cops. but lecture some woman about a glass of wine or coffee? that is just not my place. Its no different than those pharmacies who refuse to fill prescriptions for Plan B or Birth control because its against their religion. Or perfect strangers telling parents how to parent their kids. Or even to some degree the dumbasses who come up to me and grab my hair and start lecturing me about hair care and cutting it to give to kids with cancer.

I do know there will be some grey area (a preggers woman stumbling drunk looking for more drinks or whatever) but generally no, its just not ok to cut some chicks coffee intake or lecture them about drinking wine or eating tuna or whatever. its not your biz.

I'm even stunned by the fact that so many women seem to be ok with letting friends/coworkers hold their babies, that would scare the hell out of me. And yet I've had cousins practially push their kids into my arms, and it makes me nervous. Do not place a small, fleshy, fragile container of all your hopes and dreams into my hands. I drop shit.

Willing? Nay, eager, desperate, hopeful. When I had newborns, my attitude was much more like: "PLEASE, friends, colleagues, relatives, HOLD MY BABIES. Even one would help. If you don't already know how, I'll show you.

That way I can pee in peace."

But alcohol could effect the sperm you produce months down the road, thus damaging any fetus you might later conceive! http://fertilityfact...ohol-sperm.html

I rarely ever drink, but if I was trying to have a baby I would make a point of not drinking/smoking in the months leading up to the sweet dirty lovin, even though that seems to be more about having a healthy sperm count rather than healthy sperm cells. The father's job during a pregnancy is ridiculously minor compared to the mother's, the least you can do is try to produce some Michael Phelps-grade swimmers.

-To be clear, I do not want my child to look like Michael Phelps.

Oh when I found out I couldn't have my nightly very hot bath I almost wept. Then the shower broke and I've started having warm baths. Not as good but sweet lord does it ease the bump ache.

The other stuff I couldn't do according to well wishers: stretch, vacuum, bend over, don't use nail polish or hair dye (you can prise my hair lightened from my cold dead hands).

I've had a couple of sandwiches from subway because I could have torn my own face off for a tuna sweetcorn mayo sandwich. And as i spent 16 weeks vomiting and losing weight i figured anything was better than nothing. As of my 20 week scan we are both healthy and he has all of his bits and pieces.

N

Oh when I found out I couldn't have my nightly very hot bath I almost wept. Then the shower broke and I've started having warm baths. Not as good but sweet lord does it ease the bump ache.

The other stuff I couldn't do according to well wishers: stretch, vacuum, bend over, don't use nail polish or hair dye (you can prise my hair lightened from my cold dead hands).

I've had a couple of sandwiches from subway because I could have torn my own face off for a tuna sweetcorn mayo sandwich. And as i spent 16 weeks vomiting and losing weight i figured anything was better than nothing. As of my 20 week scan we are both healthy and he has all of his bits and pieces.

N

Congrats! (And isn't it cruel that what they don't tell you about "morning" sickness is that it's all day sickness? So unfair).

ETA: I just remembered the last thing on the no-no list, but I fully admit that I took complete and total advantage of this one: no cleaning the cat box. So yes, for 30 weeks, my husband had to scoop the litter box. And he had to do it often, because with my jedi sense of smell and my tendency to run/waddle to the bathroom at the first whiff of anything that made me feel sick (ranging from salsa to cat box), I pretty much had him go in there the moment we got home from work and the moment we woke up. I hoped it would stay that way. I hoped in vain.

This is not true.

I will get drunk on half a flute of champaign, and I will start to throw up and pass out after half a bottle of beer.

I can't imagine that I am the only human being with this low level of tolerance for alcohol.

Do you ever find yourself "needing a glass of wine"?

Archived