US Politics: Romney's been running since he was a fetus Edition

Shryke

First, in the latest "holy shit this guy is terrible at campaigning" moment, Romney regales the audience with memories of attending an event when he was, at best, a blastocyst:

http://www.thestar.c...-he-wasn-t-born

When Mitt Romney regaled a Michigan audience this week with childhood memories of a landmark moment in Detroit history, it was a rare instance of emotional candour.

And, perhaps, an even rarer example of time travel.

The Golden Jubilee described so vividly by Romney was indeed an epic moment in automotive lore. The parade included one of the last public appearances by an elderly Henry Ford.

And it took place June 1, 1946 — fully nine months before Romney was born.

Ahh Romney, a robot when on script, a foot in the mouth when off. I'm impressed they made him so lifelike though. Good work Dr Soong, I'm sure you'll do better next time.

Anyway, in Michigan news, momentum seems to be shifting back towards Santorum, but it's looking like it will be a close one: http://www.publicpol...orum-in-mi.html

http://fivethirtyeig...s-more-tenuous/

Since we ran the Michigan numbers early Monday morning, three new polls are out that make the state look more like a true toss-up and less like one that favors Mr. Romney.

Santorum urging Democrats to vote for him to help screw over Mittens is apparently helping though. He's even got a robocall going on just that subject!

http://livewire.talk...chigan-robocall

Should be an interesting race tomorrow.

Is either of these guys actually in any way electable? I would have thought Romney had a fair shot, but this kind of stuff reduces him to a joke, and Santorum...I mean...y'know.

(I've decided I need a new country who's politics i'll follow for general interest. It used to be the US, but now it's not so much following as watching in horrified glee like at a train crash between a circus and a brothel. It doesn't fulfill quite the same function. I'm thinking India.)

I found the Romney gaffe appealingly human, I have an extremely vivid memory of my grandmother hitting a policeman in the testicles with a cast iron frying pan in 1972 even though official records would argue quite convincingly that I was only a few months old and several thousand miles away at the time.

I thought it funny that the Detroit papers had stories on Democrats going to vote for Santorum to prolong the race and the comments were chastising anyone who'd do so. It was pointed out that Limbaugh orchestrated the same thing in 2008 with the Hilary and Obama and now Santorum himself wants them to do it.

Incidentally, Michigan splits its delegates by district. Romney could win the popular vote (Detroit) and lose the delegate count.

For the record I think they're both asshats, though I might have voted for Huntsman in lieu of Obama.

I found the Romney gaffe appealingly human, I have an extremely vivid memory of my grandmother hitting a policeman in the testicles with a cast iron frying pan in 1972 even though official records would argue quite convincingly that I was only a few months old and several thousand miles away at the time.

Yeah, frankly I find his comments about not being much of a NASCAR fan but being 'great friends' with NASCAR team owners much more revealing. That was a real gaffe, and right when he was trying to play Average Joe too.

No prizes for guessing what I read the thread title as. But I don't hate Romney.

I want to know now :(

"Romney's been running since he was Edison's fetus"?

"Romney's been running on fetuses edition"

"Romney's been running since he made a fetus with Edison?"

Gah, this is driving me mad!!

There's been no greater schadenfreude this election cycle for me than watching Romney's pathetic attempts to connect with the Average Joe. It's such a train wreck. It's like watching a 50-year-old man talking to a bunch of 15 year old girls and trying to convince them that he knows what it's like to have your first period.

Is either of these guys actually in any way electable? I would have thought Romney had a fair shot, but this kind of stuff reduces him to a joke, and Santorum...I mean...y'know.

No. In order to unseat a sitting president the repubs would have to grab a large chunk of independents, and both of these candidates have made too many awful statements* to steer back to the middle now with any degree of credibility. Barring another great recession, Obama wins re-election.

What the repubs are playing for now (and this is what scares the heck out of the establishment) are congressional seats.

* I refuse to call these statements "gaffes." They are not mistakes, which happen, but clearly reflect the personal beliefs of these candidates.

Romney would very much be electable in a US where the economy hadn't almost just keeled over, though he'd still have a hard time because of his religion. Santorum is not and should not be electable ... in a sane version of the United States. We do not live in a sane version of the United States, however. I don't know if we ever have, but especially not in an era where someone like Sarah Palin could be nominated as VP. Or where a significant movement not only started but is still going that questions a sitting president's citizenship. Where consumer riots for a new shoe or technological product or freaking children's toy are encouraged but peaceful demonstrations against massive injustices and inequalities are frowned upon and discouraged.

No, our country hasn't been sane for a long time. Hopefully, in the case of Rick Santorum's chances of becoming president: it hasn't become permanently stupid (just occasionally so).

Whelp, today is the day where I, as an Arizona citizen, get to participate in our ancient democratic process and help choose between the candidates for the Republican nominee for President. I will be proudly driving past the polling place to the store to purchase more beer, then driving proudly back past on the way to my apartment where I will proceed to drink it.

I vote none of the above, and will continue to do so. Fuck this government, fuck their farcical and fraudulent elections, fuck their claims to represent me, or to have any manner of legitimate authority over me.

Archived