Seven Devils ... and a Grey Wind

Westeros

The alternate version of the "Power and Grace" trailer was show on HBO and has not been released online to my knowledge. We do have more production featurettes at game of thrones wiki but the list of trailers you have is up to date Mor.

I wrote a breakdown and screen to page analysis of the new trailer for my blog:

http://opark77.blogs...ven-devils.html

I would really appreciate any feedback on my speculation.

I like your work. I would comment on your blog, but you do not allow anonymous or Disqus account login. I'm not comfortable logging in with my real Gmail account (thus displaying my name), nor do I use any of the other services you can log i with.

The alternate version of the "Power and Grace" trailer was show on HBO and has not been released online to my knowledge. We do have more production featurettes at game of thrones wiki but the list of trailers you have is up to date Mor.

Lots of good stuff you found there, well done. Out of curiosity...

*SPOILERS*

Do you think the shot of the guys all dressed in white/gray with one guy dressed in black is supposed to be Jon Snow and the wildlings? It would make sense, since if they were NW they'd be all in black, and their clothing seems to be designed for camouflage in the Frostfangs, which is a really cool idea and seems like something the wildlings would do.

Some good observations there :thumbsup:

Regarding the gold shield guards scene with Dany; I can't help but think they've cut out the Vaes Tolorro scenes. In the book, Jhogo comes back from scouting (remember how Dany sends off her ko to find out what's nearby, to save her khalasar from any more endless walking?) along with the three emissaries, each atop a camel? They approach Vaes Tolorro and speak to Dany from outside the gate, Dany being stood atop the wall.

In the trailer, it seems Dany's khalasar is stood outside the gate and the three emissaries come out to meet her? Maybe one of her scouts found Qarth and leads her there? It would cut a fair bit of (arguably unnecessary) story from her time crossing the desert.

I couldnt figure out if it's the same dog, or they cast a new one. if not then it's just a trick, an angle of the camera, a shadow...

If I understand correctly, they did not cast any dog. I thought all the wolves were made by computer this season ... :unsure:

Thank you all for reading and for your comments.

I thought your blog post was quite comprehensive without giving anything away for those who haven't read ACOK!

The Opening Shot is most definitely North of the Wall, Jorah's Group on the way to Craesters. As for the shot of the 9 in White with the 1 in Black I think your prediction for towards the end of the book is right.

The opening Dany shot is again probably her sending out the scout riders to find refuge as you said.

Thanks for posting a link to the song I quite enjoyed the clip of it in the trailer and wanted to hear the full version! Need to go reread ACOK it's been a couple of years since I last read it...

I'm glad the song link was useful. Thanks for your kind words and the agreement on some of the speculation.

I like your work. I would comment on your blog, but you do not allow anonymous or Disqus account login. I'm not comfortable logging in with my real Gmail account (thus displaying my name), nor do I use any of the other services you can log i with.

Thanks for your kind words. Sorry about the commenting issue. I must have chosen that setting when I set up the blog. I have changed it to allow anonymous posting now.

Lots of good stuff you found there, well done. Out of curiosity...

*SPOILERS*

Do you think the shot of the guys all dressed in white/gray with one guy dressed in black is supposed to be Jon Snow and the wildlings? It would make sense, since if they were NW they'd be all in black, and their clothing seems to be designed for camouflage in the Frostfangs, which is a really cool idea and seems like something the wildlings would do.

I do indeed but I didn't want to say so on the blog post as I thought that was too big a spoiler when I promised non-readers only mild spoilers. They look good don't they, I'm looking forward to seeing them closer up especially Ygritte and Rattleshirt.

Some good observations there :thumbsup:

Regarding the gold shield guards scene with Dany; I can't help but think they've cut out the Vaes Tolorro scenes. In the book, Jhogo comes back from scouting (remember how Dany sends off her ko to find out what's nearby, to save her khalasar from any more endless walking?) along with the three emissaries, each atop a camel? They approach Vaes Tolorro and speak to Dany from outside the gate, Dany being stood atop the wall.

In the trailer, it seems Dany's khalasar is stood outside the gate and the three emissaries come out to meet her? Maybe one of her scouts found Qarth and leads her there? It would cut a fair bit of (arguably unnecessary) story from her time crossing the desert.

Thank you Lord Ashford. I think they have modified her arrival to Qarth to make it more of a confrontation and therefore have cut the delegation of Pyat Pree, Qaithe and Xaro Xhoan Daxos coming out to Vaes Tolorro to invite her there. I think we might still be seeing Vaes Tolorro. Firstly with only five chapters in the book it makes sense for them to use all of what they have for her as well as adding material to the Qarth sequence. Secondly there is a promo image that I thought might be in Vaes Tolorro (http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/File:Gameofthrones12_10.jpg). Looking at it again now there is nothing that says it is in a city rather than a camp though so Vaes Tolorro could well be cut. Interestingly this shot and the promo photo of Dany in the desert were tagged as being from episode 3 when given out by HBO media relations which suggests she spends a few episodes in the red waste before reaching Qarth. You're spot on about Jhoqo being the one to bring in the delegation, well remembered.

Thank you Lord Ashford. I think they have modified her arrival to Qarth to make it more of a confrontation and therefore have cut the delegation of Pyat Pree, Qaithe and Xaro Xhoan Daxos coming out to Vaes Tolorro to invite her there. I think we might still be seeing Vaes Tolorro. Firstly with only five chapters in the book it makes sense for them to use all of what they have for her as well as adding material to the Qarth sequence. Secondly there is a promo image that I thought might be in Vaes Tolorro (http://gameofthrones...hrones12_10.jpg). Looking at it again now there is nothing that says it is in a city rather than a camp though so Vaes Tolorro could well be cut. Interestingly this shot and the promo photo of Dany in the desert were tagged as being from episode 3 when given out by HBO media relations which suggests she spends a few episodes in the red waste before reaching Qarth. You're spot on about Jhoqo being the one to bring in the delegation, well remembered.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I went out and rechecked that chapter before I posted. I was 99% sure the delegates came to Vaes Tolorro first but I had to be sure lol.

Wouldn't surprise me if we saw a lot less of Dany this season. As you say, she only has 5 chapters worth and not much really happens there, other than a visit to a strange city and the events at the port. The rest is just characters pandering to her. I wonder if they will include the House of the Undying? The visions she has in there could be a whole episodes worth of content in itself but we've had no casting announcements about certain key characters in there (maybe that's how the creators want it though?).

But yeah, there will be a lot more going on in King's Landing this year, they're bringing forward a lot of Robb's (and perhaps Jaime's) story and then there's all the events at Dragonstone too. Not to mention Arya, who'se story I hope remains as close to the book as possible. Wouldn't surprise me if Dany took something of a back seat this season but that might be playing with fire (if you'll excuse the pun) considering how popular a character she was for fans new to the series.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I went out and rechecked that chapter before I posted. I was 99% sure the delegates came to Vaes Tolorro first but I had to be sure lol.

Wouldn't surprise me if we saw a lot less of Dany this season. As you say, she only has 5 chapters worth and not much really happens there, other than a visit to a strange city and the events at the port. The rest is just characters pandering to her. I wonder if they will include the House of the Undying? The visions she has in there could be a whole episodes worth of content in itself but we've had no casting announcements about certain key characters in there (maybe that's how the creators want it though?).

But yeah, there will be a lot more going on in King's Landing this year, they're bringing forward a lot of Robb's (and perhaps Jaime's) story and then there's all the events at Dragonstone too. Not to mention Arya, who'se story I hope remains as close to the book as possible. Wouldn't surprise me if Dany took something of a back seat this season but that might be playing with fire (if you'll excuse the pun) considering how popular a character she was for fans new to the series.

The House of the Undying has to be in, it's an important thing to the series, I believe.

Well yeah, just wondering how much of it they'll show? I think seeing the "feast of slaughtered corpses" would be jaw-dropping, as would seeing her older brother and the harp, but I wonder how they'd film the former without explicitly revealing something? Or I wonder if they'll just say the three prophecies and cut out the visions?

Anyway, this is getting way off topic lol.

Wouldn't surprise me if we saw a lot less of Dany this season.

We've been told that the Dany story is been boosted in this season (with new stuff going on in Qarth). As you say, she is popular and she couldn't be partly ignored.

No dogs this season, is my understanding. They've retired the Northern Inuits, and are using much more in the way of digital effects.

According to some interviews (can't remember which now), it seemed like they were using a mixture. But then again the most of the actors were deliberately quiet on the issue.

Nonetheless, I would be *very* surprised if they had not used some dogs on set as lighting reference, to be replaced by CG in final shots.

Nonetheless, I would be *very* surprised if they had not used some dogs on set as lighting reference, to be replaced by CG in final shots.

The CGI guys need something to base their lights on, so, yes, that is strongly possible !

Wouldn't surprise me if Dany took something of a back seat this season but that might be playing with fire (if you'll excuse the pun) considering how popular a character she was for fans new to the series.

Not a chance. They woudn't have hired a strong character actor as Nonso Anozie otherwise. As Padraig has said her story woild be upped making Qarth her personal Kings Landing.

Archived