Ask your cooking technique questions here

TerraPrime

Every time I have successfully done an egg for salad with a runny yolk -- and it is one of my favorite things to do -- I have poached it.

And my nicoise always, always has olives.

shit. you caught me. i forgot the olives. good call!

and as much as i like a poached egg a soft boiled with runny yolk and set white shows better technique and the more toothsome whites offer a nice contrast against the runny yolk. a poached egg does not offer that.

I want one of these:

https://opensky.com/altonbrown/product/looftlighter/in/must-have-kitchen-gadgets--appliances-osf?osky_origin=BBE&osky_source=BBE-Dedicated121212&utm_source=BBE&utm_campaign=BBE-Dedicated121212&siteID=8_x9x1fIUbg-qMn0lsMS9U2xhkbj8665_w

Developed by Swedish inventor, Richard Looft, the Looftligher can ignite anything from charcoal to wood in 60 seconds with the touch of a single button. The Looftlighter, eliminating lighter fluid from the process, not only makes summer nostalgia more pure, but cuts down on the toxic fumes, the production of the petroleum-based product, and burn injuries resulting from unattended fires. The Looftlighter does not throw flames, but instead blows a hot airstream at 1,256 degrees Fahrenheit. It will switch off immediately when the user releases the "On" button, and is equipped with a safety casing that cools to the touch within a few seconds after use.

I like making these cinnamon rolls and they always turn out good but they never seem to rise all that much. I always make a half batch because I really wouldn't know what to do with 40-some of the things save eat them all. This time I accidentally put in the full amount of yeast and still nothing. I put the dough in the warmed oven for well over an hour and waited longer than the 20 minutes to bake them after they were prepared.

What the Hell am I doing wrong?

Incidentally, these things are fracking good. If you want good homemade cinnamon rolls try this recipe.

If the milk isn't allowed to cool long enough, it can kill your yeast. Also, if your yeast is old your rolls won't rise like they should.

The last time this happened to me it was because my yeast was old.

ETA: those rolls look fantastic.

If the milk isn't allowed to cool long enough, it can kill your yeast. Also, if your yeast is old your rolls won't rise like they should...

Also if your milk is too cold your yeast won't do anything!

The yeast wasn't expired. I think I hadn't long enough waited for the milk to cool. :( Thankfully, they always taste great, it a fairly involved process but well worth the effort. Try them sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question about dutch ovens.

I've got a lodge logic cast iron dutch oven but was thinking about getting an enameled one.

I quick search on amazon showed me that Le Creusets go for around $300. Why are they so freaking expensive, are they worth it?

I have no idea why they are so expensive, but I can attest that they are awesome. Distributes heat very well and the enamel means that they are super-easy to clean. I seem to remember that Cook's Illustrated did a side-by-side and found that the Mario Batali dutch ovens worked well at a much lower price-point.

Also, it looks like Lodge also does enameled cast iron. I have not used one, so can't give thoughts one way or the other on the quality.

I've got a question about dutch ovens.

I've got a lodge logic cast iron dutch oven but was thinking about getting an enameled one.

I quick search on amazon showed me that Le Creusets go for around $300. Why are they so freaking expensive, are they worth it?

I did a google image search for "Dutch Oven". I don't see how you can cook like that.

If you take a bunch of kale and drizzle it with olive oil and whatever seasoning you like (sea salt, lime, chile etc) and either stick it in a dehydrator or the oven at less than 200 degrees it come out kind of crunchy, still has all of the "raw" goodies in it and it takes almost like potato chips!

I love kale chips. I am hit or miss making them though. I think I'm crowding the tray.

http://steamykitchen.com/6926-crispy-kale-recipe.html

Archived