NFL Free Agency - Peyton Manning Thunderdome Edition

Jaime L

Peyton wants to solidify his legacy, which means winning at least one more Super Bowl. Make no mistake, he will choose the team he believes has the most championship-ready personnel. Those who claim warm weather and/or indoor conditions are his chief concern are fooling themselves.

Speaking of "chief concerns," roster-wise the Chiefs would be an excellent fit for Peyton. They're already loaded with offensive skill talent and have a decently up and coming defense which will only get better when Eric Berry returns next year. They also have rabid fan support and play in the easiest division in football. Oh, and an experienced, defensive-minded players' coach for HC (sound familiar?). The outdoor playing conditions (especially deep into the season) wouldn't be ideal but I don't think that's a big consideration for him.

It's true, but 3900 yards and 30 touchdowns would be 11th in yardage ahead of Ryan Fitzpatrick and 6th in touchdowns, ahead of Matt Ryan. Depending on the number of attempts, he might not even be a top 8 quarterback. And again that's assuming that he prettymuch picks up where he left off in his sunsetting career, without any difficulties with new personnel, system or lingering injury.

I think last year was an anomaly considering the effect the lockout had on defenses. I could be wrong about that, but there's not a chance in hell that he isn't in the top four even if he comes back at 80%. It would be Roders, Brees, Brady, and Manning. And I'm not sold on Rodgers.

I think last year was an anomaly considering the effect the lockout had on defenses. I could be wrong about that, but there's not a chance in hell that he isn't in the top four even if he comes back at 80%. It would be Roders, Brees, Brady, and Manning. And I'm not sold on Rodgers.

Did someone just cast Summon Triskele?

Sivin, do you really think that Manning at 80% might be better than Rodgers? I know you're a fan but that's crazy talk. And while Manning 2000-2010 was a beast, just assuming that he can return to form is exceedingly optomistic. I think 3900 yrds, 30 touchdowns, 16 interceptions is a pretty reasonable expectation for Manning if he's healthy, and those are very good, but not elite kinda numbers.

Word is Manning doesn't want to go to the Skins. Not the least bit surprised. It's really not a good fit all around.

Where did you hear this word? I'm not sad, but I am surprised that Manning wouldn't use Snyder for leverage.

Where did you hear this word? I'm not sad, but I am surprised that Manning wouldn't use Snyder for leverage.

Saw it on Rotoworld. "Appearing on SportsCenter Thursday, ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell said he's "hearing" free agent Peyton Manning does not want to play for the Redskins and has already informed people in the building."

I don't think this is about money. He made about $175 mil from the Colts and even more from endorsements. I think he's pretty set there. This is more about going to the right team and the right situation.

Did someone just cast Summon Triskele?

Sivin, do you really think that Manning at 80% might be better than Rodgers? I know you're a fan but that's crazy talk. And while Manning 2000-2010 was a beast, just assuming that he can return to form is exceedingly optomistic. I think 3900 yrds, 30 touchdowns, 16 interceptions is a pretty reasonable expectation for Manning if he's healthy, and those are very good, but not elite kinda numbers.

We'll see about the part I highlighted.

As far as my comment about Rodgers, I'm already on record as saying that he played the best ball of 2011. That said, every quarterback in the league with the exception of Mark Sanchez was tearing it up at some point (Jon Skelton, anyone?)

What I meant is that Rodgers has shown that he's an elite quarterback, but his only fuck-me-silly season happened when a bunch of other guys were having similar success. I'm not ready to put him in the class of Brady, Brees, and perhaps Peyton (if he's 80%). Also, Matt Flynn's success combined with all of those recieving talents make me wary of Rodgers. He's mind-blown me 15 14 (Chiefs game was not inspiring) times, Peyton Manning has done it for 13 years with a much less talented team.

I'm not saying that 80% Peyton is better than Rodgers, I'm saying that I want to see Rodgers continue his superior play on a consistent basis to be considered one of the absolutes in this league.

Tom Brady and Drew Brees aren't the top two in the league right now because of one insane season. They've both had insane seasons, but they're also models of consistent excellence. Peyton Manning is also a model of consistent excellence, and his health will determine whether he continues to be one.

It's true, but 3900 yards and 30 touchdowns would be 11th in yardage ahead of Ryan Fitzpatrick and 6th in touchdowns, ahead of Matt Ryan. Depending on the number of attempts, he might not even be a top 8 quarterback. And again that's assuming that he prettymuch picks up where he left off in his sunsetting career, without any difficulties with new personnel, system or lingering injury.

Well let's say he's only in the top 5-10 of QBs. That's still worlds better than just about every team who's interested in Peyton can hope for. As an example, if the Redskins have a QB that's in the top 16 in football that'd be an accomplishment we haven't seen in 12 years. And if we got 3 years of that, it's something we probably haven't seen since the 80's.

Word is Manning doesn't want to go to the Skins. Not the least bit surprised. It's really not a good fit all around.

Of course the point may be moot if the the above is true, but I still enjoy debating it intellectually.

ETA: If true - now 100% focus on RGIII.

To be fair to Rodgers, he has put up great numbers since he started 4 years ago. His numbers were never as insane as last year but the previous 2 seasons were still top 5 numbers. I think he's been remarkably consistent in his 4 years in the league and there isn't a single thing that suggests he won't do it again next year.

Well let's say he's only in the top 5-10 of QBs. That's still worlds better than just about every team who's interested in Peyton can hope for. As an example, if the Redskins have a QB that's in the top 16 in football that'd be an accomplishment we haven't seen in 12 years. And if we got 3 years of that, it's something we probably haven't seen since the 80's.

Of course the point may be moot if the the above is true, but I still enjoy debating it intellectually.

ETA: If true - now 100% focus on RGIII.

And as for Top half of the league qb play, yes, the Redskins arguably had that in the 2005-06 season with Burnell, and inarguably did not have it every other year since Brad Johnson left. So clearly Manning would be an upgrade, I just think people should temper their expectations for what Manning can realistically do at this stage.

I think it's time to focus on RGIII regardless.

To be fair to Rodgers, he has put up great numbers since he started 4 years ago. His numbers were never as insane as last year but the previous 2 seasons were still top 5 numbers. I think he's been remarkably consistent in his 4 years in the league and there isn't a single thing that suggests he won't do it again next year.

Totally agree. The only knock on the start of Rodger's career is that he does have good weapons around him, and that's a pretty pitiful criticism. Over his four year career, his average is 65% completions, 4300 yards and 33 tds and 10 ints. That's absolutely fantastic, comparable or better than Manning's first four years in all areas.

KC has the cap space

Dwayne Bowe, Breaston, and Charles are great weapons

KC is in a weak division with weak qb play (yes I am saying Rivers is weak)

KC is backed by a VERY good and VERY young defense.

KC has a GOOD to VERY GOOD offensive line.

On the Chiefs - I guess I just don't believe in the team. Leaving aside the fact that if he went there, their three best players would all be returning from hideous season-ending injuries... I don't think the D is that great, and I don't think that it's a team that will contend for a title if Peyton goes there. Maybe I'm wrong. I have limited faith in Bowe and Breaston, but I think they're closer to the current iteration of the Colts than they are to a Super Bowl contender; and if I'm Manning, I want to win titles.

I do agree on the division, though, the AFC West is a shitpile.

KC has the cap space

On the Chiefs - I guess I just don't believe in the team. Leaving aside the fact that if he went there, their three best players would all be returning from hideous season-ending injuries... I don't think the D is that great, and I don't think that it's a team that will contend for a title if Peyton goes there. Maybe I'm wrong. I have limited faith in Bowe and Breaston, but I think they're closer to the current iteration of the Colts than they are to a Super Bowl contender; and if I'm Manning, I want to win titles.

Hmm, actually the Chiefs are a decent prospect for Peyton.

The defenses in his division would add to his stats on their own.

-The Raiders' D is unorganized and penalty-prone, and Dennis Allen is not the droid they're looking for.

-The Broncos' D sucks, all they've got is pass-rushers but that won't help them enough against Peyton's quick release.

-The Chargers suck, though they do have a habit of giving him fits.

But still, he can't go there. Too much Tebow vs Manning.

Maybe (just maybe) this leak is an attempt at leverage...

Snyder: What do you mean he doesn't want to play for the Redskins? Offer him 26 million a year for 3 years with 20 million upfront!

Maybe (just maybe) this leak is an attempt at leverage...

Snyder: What do you mean he doesn't want to play for the Redskins? Offer him 26 million a year for 3 years with 20 million upfront!

Yes, and then he takes that offer to the Dolphins or the Cardinals, and they give it to him instead.

I know I am a homer; but mark my words, he will play great and will be in the MVP discussion. His neck is COMPLETELY healed, in fact at a better shape than it was during the 2010 season according to his doctors. He was playing great before he went down (as others have pointed out, Favre, Warner and Montana to some extent were playing pretty bad before switching team ). His new team will be much better that the 2010 Colts team that had no running game, bad OL and a banged up (and some no name) receivers. He will want to show everybody how they were so wrong to doubt him. I am confident he will be a top 3 /4 QB.

KC has the cap space

Wait - you start out saying they have a very good defense, good skill guys and a good O-line...then tell us those factors won't help Peyton win a championship? :P (incidentally, they have good special teams too). I realize it's not easy to believe in them because of the injuries and whatnot. And yeah, the defense is young, but they at least appeared to get a lot better as the season progressed last year. I think if they'd had Berry (1 game, I think), Charles (maybe 1/3 of the season) and Moeaki (0 games) all year they'd have won that division even with the rogues gallery they lined up at QB. No great feat, to be certain, but definitely enough talent to win with Peyton Manning at the helm.

All this assuming those guys can bounce back from their injuries...

It was quote failure by DVD ROTS. He was quoting someone else.

I don't believe in them not because of last year but because of the year before; they got really, really lucky and played a weak schedule, then got obliterated as soon as they got to the playoffs. In that respect they're like Seattle that year - a total joke team that got in because their division was so weak. Their defensive line is good, but their offense is in shreds.

Vegas odds on where he ends up:

Cardinals: 19% ($100 wins $250)

Dolphins: 16.5% ($100 wins $300)

Redskins: 13% ($100 wins $400)

Jets: 9.5% ($100 wins $600)

Chiefs: 7.5% ($100 wins $800)

Retire: 6% ($100 wins $1,000)

Seahawks: 6% ($100 wins $1,000)

Texans: 4% ($100 wins $1,500)

49ers: 3% ($100 wins $2,000)

Broncos: 3% ($100 wins $2,000)

Titans: 1.5% ($100 wins $4,000)