Worst Possible Ending for ASoIaF

Patchface12

Okay, this is what I consider the worst

Stannis Baratheon, 1st of his name, sat the Iron Throne, as thousand words of support emerged from the standing crowd. His daughter stood beside him, a sorrowful look on her face. Her father turns his head towards her.

"Fetch me this and that and that, servant! You think I actually loved you? I only loved two things, one was my honor and justice, the other was Davos! And now that I lost both of them, you mean nothing to me!"

Shireen starts crying. Jon Snow enters with a cushion carrying a sword.

"Good work, my squire. Here is your reward." Stannis says as he pulls out a dagger and impales Jon's left eye.

Shireen screams loudly at the sight of the person she admires being treated like that. Stannis turns to her smiling wickedly

"We Baratheons live to destroy Targaryens." he said "You should follow that example too."

And raised dagger was all Shireen knew before her world began to fade.

"Why?" she asked with her last breath

"You were married to Jon Targaryen, hence you're a Targaryen too." came the answer, spoken coldly.

And Shireen's world turned to black.

They deserve better than this......

• 4 weeks later...

I normally stay away from threads like this as I prefer to just let GRRMs work unfold, but if I had to think up an ending so outrageously bad it would never actually happen...

• As much as I hate the idea of Dany on the Iron Throne and married to Jon, one thing could possibly be worse...Dany/Daario on the Iron Throne. Dany not being with Jon could be explained by Jon just perma-dying after the end of ADWD incident, which would suck in itself.
  • Stannis actually is killed by The Boltons, who continue to be the Great House of The North, rewarded by Queen Daenerys Targaryen for ending not just a line of the "Usurpers Dogs" but also the line of the Usurper himself, as Shireen is also killed by the Boltons later, and Houses Stark and Baratheon are both ended. She also rewards House Frey who continue to hold The Riverlands for ending House Tully.
  • As far as the remaining Stark kids - Sansa married to Littlefinger and ruling The Vale with him, her identity still concealed. Arya dead (and never returning to Westeros), Bran dead, and Rickon eaten by Skagosi (along with Davos who tried to save him)
  • Then in the South...Dany executes all the members of House Martell for supporting (f)Aegon, who she presumably killed in the Dance with Dragons. If other houses of The Reach and the Stormlands supported him they are ended as well. New Princeship of Dorne goes to House Dayne of High Hermitage and Darkstar (I love Darkstar personally but this would piss a lot of people off, though it'd be hilarious). The new Lords of Storm's End are House Trant. Tyrells would probably just stay loyal to Dany and keep that.
  • As for the Lannisters...Cersei happily marries Ramsay Bolton and one of their sons together becomes the new line of Lannisters of Casterly Rock. Jaime dies (along with Brienne) and Tyrion continues to be a whiny character like in ADWD.
  • Then for the Iron Islands..everyone dies except Aeron, even though I don't really like any of them except Asha anyway from now on the only POV we get from the Iron Islands is The Damphair, who rules from the Seastone Chair.
  • Book closes with a 50 Shades of Daario chapter.

I'm sure there are heretics who will disagree with me on this, but I would find an ending that disproves the R+L=J theory very annoying. I would feel like I was completely and deliberately mislead throughout.

That would be pretty bad, mainly because it would be horrible writing. It would be the first thing I've ever read where a predicted revelation with as many affirmative hints and as few negative ones as R+L= J turns out to be not true.

Any overly happy ending is a bad ending for me.

And I really don't want Jon to have any sort of happy ending.

Hasn't Jon had enough misery?

In any case, George R.R. Martin said the series would have a "bittersweet" ending. Which raises some red flags after Mass Effect 3's "bittersweet ending". But, I have enough trust in GRRM to make it good.

GRRM not finishing the series.

Beyond that, anything that involves Dany teaming up with Jon, and/or Dany on the Throne (or in any position of power over a country/kingdom/city).

Archived