A Thread for Small Questions XV

Angalin

This question may be a big one, belonging to some other threads, but...

What's up with the Lannisters. A super Andalish name, yet they were founded by Lann the clever during the age of heroes. This was long before the Andals came, correct? Just saw George mention the Lannisters as an Andal family as well in the tiff interview.

This question may be a big one, belonging to some other threads, but...

What's up with the Lannisters. A super Andalish name, yet they were founded by Lann the clever during the age of heroes. This was long before the Andals came, correct? Just saw George mention the Lannisters as an Andal family as well in the tiff interview.

Here's what the wiki says:

"The Lannisters descend from Andal adventurers who married the daughters of the King of the Rock. The King himself descended from Lann the Clever, a legendary trickster from the Age of Heroes who tricked the Casterlys into giving him Casterly Rock."

Not sure how accurate this is, but it sounds right to me.

If this is on a thread somewhere else, point me to it... Question about the Citadel. Basically, what is the Citadel's hidden agenda? When Sam shows up at the Citadel, Marwyn immediately bolts to go to Dany. So much so that it seems like he already knew what Sam was about to say (he did send someone to intercept him), and was sort of just waiting for confirmation. Anyway, he seems to think his journey is fraught with danger from the Citadel itself -- before walking out the door he says (paraphrase) "there's no place for dragons in the world the Citadel is building." Any ideas on what this means? What's Marwyn going to say to Dany if/when he gets to her? This all feels somewhat related to Jaqen searching for the Citadel's secret dragon books, too.

If this is on a thread somewhere else, point me to it... Question about the Citadel. Basically, what is the Citadel's hidden agenda? When Sam shows up at the Citadel, Marwyn immediately bolts to go to Dany. So much so that it seems like he already knew what Sam was about to say (he did send someone to intercept him), and was sort of just waiting for confirmation. Anyway, he seems to think his journey is fraught with danger from the Citadel itself -- before walking out the door he says (paraphrase) "there's no place for dragons in the world the Citadel is building." Any ideas on what this means? What's Marwyn going to say to Dany if/when he gets to her? This all feels somewhat related to Jaqen searching for the Citadel's secret dragon books, too.

I think the idea is that the Citadel fancies itself as a scientific/secular institution that's at odds with magic coming back into the world. It's also suggested that the maesters were the ones responsible for the dragons dying out in the first place, and the book "The Death of Dragons" is under lock and key in the Citadel. Theory goes that it's probably that book that Jaqen is after when he infiltrates the Citadel as Pate — the Faceless Men don't like dragons, either.

I think the idea is that the Citadel fancies itself as a scientific/secular institution that's at odds with magic coming back into the world. It's also suggested that the maesters were the ones responsible for the dragons dying out in the first place, and the book "The Death of Dragons" is under lock and key in the Citadel. Theory goes that it's probably that book that Jaqen is after when he infiltrates the Citadel as Pate — the Faceless Men don't like dragons, either.

Cool, that makes sense, thanks. Two more questions if you don't mind --

1. The urgency with which Marwyn leaves makes me think that he has some specific piece of advice to give Dany, like perhaps something she should or should not do... any idea what it might be, or do you think he's just going to give her counsel in a more general way?

2. The way he mentions "the world the Citadel is building" put off a bit of a New World Order vibe for me, in the sense that he was implying that the Citadel actually has a hidden infrastructure of sorts already in place as a means to whatever its end is. I guess it makes sense that that "end" would just be keeping magic from reentering the world and/or killing dragons, but I think that the conspiracy theorist in me was hoping there was more to it.

About the money in the book. When they say, golden dragon, or silver stag, what does it mean? Are they coins with a picture of dragon/stag? Or are they actual dragons made of gold and stags made of silver?

they are coins with pictures of stags or dragons on one side and the current king's portrait on the other side.

1. The urgency with which Marwyn leaves makes me think that he has some specific piece of advice to give Dany, like perhaps something she should or should not do... any idea what it might be, or do you think he's just going to give her counsel in a more general way?

No idea.

2. The way he mentions "the world the Citadel is building" put off a bit of a New World Order vibe for me, in the sense that he was implying that the Citadel actually has a hidden infrastructure of sorts already in place as a means to whatever its end is. I guess it makes sense that that "end" would just be keeping magic from reentering the world and/or killing dragons, but I think that the conspiracy theorist in me was hoping there was more to it.

I think it comes down to, the maesters see "magic" as a competing power. If magic works and exists and can be controlled, the maesters' power is obsolete. And I don't think the cause-effect between magic and dragons can be nailed down yet, i.e. it's not clear that dragons caused magic to reenter the world and not the other way around. Wargs, fire magic, the Others, the Children of the Forest, etc. were getting along fine without the dragons. In other words, dragons are part of the "anti-magic conspiracy," but there's more to magic than dragons.

Could someone tell me where it says, or post the quote, that Ned's bed is / was made from weirwood, I can't find it, thank you.

It's not definitive, just a strong hunch based on Theon having a premonitory dream while sleeping in the bed and other instances associated with weirwood trees and "visions."

Not a question about the actual story, but anywoo: what are the chances that, when the series is complete, they'll reprint hardback copies of all the books so I can have a beautiful matching set of books on my shelf?

I'm struggling to think of an occasion when this has happened before, I don't think it's really publishers' style. Hardbacks are released first, cost more and sell fewer copies relative to the paperback editions.

I'm struggling to think of an occasion when this has happened before, I don't think it's really publishers' style. Hardbacks are released first, cost more and sell fewer copies relative to the paperback editions.

LOTR has a few match sets... Some as 3 boks, some as 1.

I think that the chance of they do this with ASOIAF is big, considering the status of the books.

EDIT: Match set of only one book doesn't exist I know, I mean especial edition (like the one they made for the 50º birthday of the books.)

Not a question about the actual story, but anywoo: what are the chances that, when the series is complete, they'll reprint hardback copies of all the books so I can have a beautiful matching set of books on my shelf?

Aren't the ASOIAF hardcovers already pretty matchy? Their overall design is very similar to each other and I believe they are the same height.

I'd love Folio Society to issue a boxset when the series are over. They generally do a boss job with anything they produce.

If you wanted all hardback books, for your book shelf, then couldn't you just go on line and buy them on eBay or something? I am sure there are many people looking to sell back their hardback copies(maybe to replace them with smaller/ lighter paperback editions, or to just get rid of them). Then you can just make sure to buy the next two hardback editions of TWoW and ADoS.

Now I have a question, and I am sure it has been asked before(like most questions on here), but what do you guys think about Dany, and having some "Warg" like connection with her dragons?

There are many examples of all three dragons roaring/screaming, when Dany gets mad or something, similar to how Grey Wind might snarl or something, when Robb gets angry. I wish I could provide actual quotes of these examples, but I am not at home.

If I am not mistaken, I think there is even an example of the Dragons "screaming", when Dany gets off or something lol.

Anyway, is this connection similar to Bloodraven and how he was a skinchanger, or is it just because Dany is the "mother" of the dragons? Dany was there when the dragons hatched their eggs and all, and she probably has some connection from the sacrifice/blood magic stuff, but is that all it is, or is there a possibility of Dany being similar to Bloodraven?

If you wanted all hardback books, for your book shelf, then couldn't you just go on line and buy them on eBay or something? I am sure there are many people looking to sell back their hardback copies(maybe to replace them with smaller/ lighter paperback editions, or to just get rid of them). Then you can just make sure to buy the next two hardback editions of TWoW and ADoS.

Being a bit of a perfectionist, I couldn't possibly abide different styles next to one another on the shelf.......admittedly I haven't checked, but I'm guessing any aGoT hardbacks won't look the same as my aDwD copy?

As a backup, I would settle for US paperbacks I guess - part of my motivation for wanting a set is to avoid the incredibly annoying UK paperbacks split: Book 1, Book 2, Book 3 Part I, Book 3 Part II, Book 4, Book 5 Part I, Book 5 Part II........doesn't gel with me. :)

Being a bit of a perfectionist, I couldn't possibly abide different styles next to one another on the shelf.......admittedly I haven't checked, but I'm guessing any aGoT hardbacks won't look the same as my aDwD copy?

Dave, I will take a photo of all my ASOIAF hardcovers next to each other on the shelf tonight and let you decide :) I don't remember GoT standing out.

Archived