A Storm of Videos

Westeros

Wow loras and renly look AMAZING this season!! They both look much more manly(like in the books) in their armour!! Having seen the renly video,has convinced me that the actress playing margary is perfect!!

Just 2 questions:

WTF is up with LF being there?!?

Margary is pronounced as mar-jery....

Wow, did I dream of are they planning a weird scene between Loras, Renly and Margaery.

It's a bad idea to make think that everyone has incests, when it is the really specifity of Jaime and Cersei.

I can't tell still seems as if most material comes from first three episodes.

Maybe ,except for smidgens, they do features when several episodes are editrd

Editing and SFX being done on the early episodes first may account for the use of the first episodes. But I think it's mostly so they don't reveal too much. The farther you go in the episodes, the more the characters have moved around in a way that could give away huge plot twists.

Wow loras and renly look AMAZING this season!! They both look much more manly(like in the books) in their armour!!

[...]

Just 2 questions:

WTF is up with LF being there?!?

From what we've seen of other characters, they seem to have aged most of the younger characters. It's particularly noticeable with Robb, Jon, Dany, Renly and Loras, I think.

I think they changed a few things around and made LF visit earlier. We've glimped at Cat and LF meeting at Renly's camp in other previews, which also looks interesting.

Wow, did I dream of are they planning a weird scene between Loras, Renly and Margaery. It's a bad idea to make think that everyone has incests, when it is the really specifity of Jaime and Cersei.

I didn't get that impression. After re-watching the video with your post in mind and I kinda see what you mean, but I admit I have to squint a little to see it. Personally, I just got the impression that both scenes happened in Renly's tent.

I dont think we will really see the Reach this season, all those Renly scenes are obviously in the Stormlands.

And yes, they say "Marj-ery". I've always said "Marga - ery". With "g" like in "girl", but well...

They also say "Ti-rell", and I've always said "Taï-rell".

Wow, did I dream of are they planning a weird scene between Loras, Renly and Margaery.

It's a bad idea to make think that everyone has incests, when it is the really specifity of Jaime and Cersei.

Uh there was a scene between renly and loras and renly and margary SEPARATELY!!! Besides i dont think Renly even had sex with marg,she

undressed and told him "lets not pretend ur not gay blahblah...".So renly didnt end up fucking her.That scene with loras happened some other time WITHOUT MARG.

Its just the clever editing that makes u think

that..

I wonder why they decided to focus so much on Renly in this season and not Stannis. Maybe it's because

Renly dies in this season and Stannis is still alive by TWoW and they wanted to build Renly's char before killing him. Renly is the only major character to die in this season and they are probably trying to make it look as epic as Ned's death, which if true, is a mistake.

The epicness isnt him dying, it is the way that he dies. Melissandre is more important than Renly, and his death shows the type of character she is.

Wow, great stuff. Especially in the Renly featurette. I don't think the showrunners are necessarily clashing with the book in their portrayal of Marge, they're just pulling the curtain back. She's very much an enigma in the books, but the show doesn't have the luxury of certain literary strategies. The format kind of demands that Margaery be more proactive. Really, the only thing the show is doing is confirming what book readers have suspected all along -- Marge is a very savvy woman who knows more than she ever lets on. I'm looking forward to tons of fireworks between her and Cersei.

Lots of people have issue with the choice of actor for Renly. Can't please everyone, I guess. We all have our own ideas of how characters should look. ACoK/S2 spoiler:

Doesn't matter, it's not like he's going to be around long anyway...

Edit: Oopsie, thanks to the mod for adding that spoiler :P

dont really like this guy as renly

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's usually best to elaborate a little more then just "I don't like X", by giving your personal reasons, what you think would be better, what you like instead, etc. Otherwise it can come across was a little blunt and doesn't encourage constructive discussions.

I know several people didn't like Renly, mostly because they've changed him quite a bit from the books, but I think it was justified by storyline decisions and not related to the actor's performance. They seem to have made him less flashy and less impetuous to reflect characters's thoughts about him as not being a good candidate for King. On tv, it would have been odd for him to be flashy and grand and incredibly charming and charismatic, while at the same time having characters think poorly of him, say he has no substance, etc.

And I think they've wanted to give some backing to Ned's decision not to support Renly, and to support Stannis, an unknown, unseen character instead.

Plus, in the books, what we see of Renly is only his public facade, we don't get to see how he is in private.

The problem I have with their casting of Renly, is that he is supposed to be a person that people want to follow. A physically imposing figure, who is also charming. In this type of world, people follow strength, and he comes off as a weakling. He does look better this season than last though.

I would have liked someone like Taylor Kitsch from that John Carter movie. I've never seen him act, so I have no idea if he is good or not, and I'm not really suggesting him specifically, just his type. And having him be "flashy and grand and incredibly charming and charismatic" while also having some characters (Cat) see through him, would be fairly easy. There are several ways to show that. Having a tournament in the middle of a war and have Catelyn say how crazy that is. Have him throwing his parties and such, and it comes across that he isn't taking this deadly game seriously.

But what's done is done. The actor they have is a fine actor and I'm sure will do a good job this season.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's usually best to elaborate a little more then just "I don't like X", by giving your personal reasons, what you think would be better, what you like instead, etc. Otherwise it can come across was a little blunt and doesn't encourage constructive discussions.

I know several people didn't like Renly, mostly because they've changed him quite a bit from the books, but I think it was justified by storyline decisions and not related to the actor's performance. They seem to have made him less flashy and less impetuous to reflect characters's thoughts about him as not being a good candidate for King.

I'm a huge fan of Renly on the show. So much better to see a believable, flawed, human pretender rather than a plot device and the third wheel Baratheon that he was in the books. The accent on Renly's political side also helps to make the show more relevant and in touch with the modern realities. Even Stannis and Mel's storyline gains complexity and wins because of Renly being more relatable and layered.

Haters, of course, gonna... :tantrum:

I rather liked Renly from the books. There's more depth there than you're perhaps giving him credit for. Because of the POV structure, we don't really have any private insights into him as we get into the show, and certainly we don't have much of a sense of the central relationship he's involved in, so I think it's easy to suppose there's nothing more than what you see. But GRRM notes that when he writes characters, he tries to think about a lot of stuff -- about their lives, what shapes them, even minor incidents that might effect them in the scene they're in -- that never actually makes it onto the page.

But all that said, I like Gethin Anthony as Renly, and this rather different interpretation of the character which the writers have gone forward with.

Archived