A Storm of Videos

Westeros

There's more depth there than you're perhaps giving him credit for. Because of the POV structure, we don't really have any private insights into him as we get into the show

How are we supposed to know about book-renly's depth if we don't have any private insights? This seems a bit difficult to me.

OT: I have to agree that the show fleshed out a character in a way that I didn't really see in book renly. IDK, book renly didn't leave a lasting impression on me like he did on many other people. Which is not to say that people can't dislike the HBO "flesh".

From what we've seen of other characters, they seem to have aged most of the younger characters. It's particularly noticeable with Robb, Jon, Dany, Renly and Loras, I think.

Can you imagine how weird it's going to look when

Margaery marries Tommen, much less Joffrey?

What I dislike most is Loras, seems wrong to me...

And since he has not at all the same hair color as his sister, it's quite weird.

Why would he need to have his sister's hair color ? Are you following Martin's flawed logic that absolutely every member of a family has the same genes ?

I mean, not for me, for the public eyes, will they link this curly-haired guy to that dude in the tournament in season 1 and will they understand he is the brother of Margaery ?

I really feel as if the powers that be have listened to the criticisms from last season in terms of Renly and Loras's on screen presence. I think Loras looks much better without the wig (I'm assuming it was a wig). My biggest issue with him was that he looked way too bland last season. His new hair, which I'm going to assume is his natural hair, is a big improvement. It's a minor detail, but the way it moves and has life, I think, makes him pop off the screen much more than he did last season. In the clips I've seen, I see more of the flamboyant upstart from the books.

The facial hair on Renly is also a big improvement. It makes him look much more formidable. Renly definitely clashes with his book incarnation, but I'm willing to see where DW and DB go with him. I think, from a story standpoint, turning Renly into a less confidant ruler can offer some interesting dynamics that we're seeing in the featurette. He appears to be much more conflicted due to his identity issues -- hiding his sexual orientation, pretending to be someone he's not, and overall, just being in a situation where his "yes men" have more interest in him on the throne than he does. I think it makes him a more tragic/sympathetic character compared to his book self. In the grand scheme, this new version of Renly could result in better television.

In Robert, we had the bold guy who didn't want the Throne, in Stannis, we have someone who always had middle child syndrome and felt he could be better than his brothers, and in Renly, the show version offers someone not at all as confidant as either of his brothers. However, he might be as capable if he believed in himself...his followers love him, and maybe that pressure is hard for him to bear. I'm interested to see how that's developed.

What I dislike most is Loras, seems wrong to me...

And since he has not at all the same hair color as his sister, it's quite weird.

I dont like Loras either. He was never a favorite character of mine, but I expected that he would at least have a little bit of deadliness or a mean streak to him.

I know he is gay, but they just made him too girly and wimpy. To me, it seems tha every man on the whole show who has had a sword in his hand could kill him in a heartbeat, yet he is suppossed to be dangerous?

I dont like Loras either. He was never a favorite character of mine, but I expected that he would at least have a little bit of deadliness or a mean streak to him.

I know he is gay, but they just made him too girly and wimpy. To me, it seems tha every man on the whole show who has had a sword in his hand could kill him in a heartbeat, yet he is suppossed to be dangerous?

Loras was suppose to be as 'slender as a reed'. With long curls and beautifull. So what else could he look like?

Well I've rarely seen gay guys as masculine as he looks in that armor. The book also made a point out of it that Sansa thought him extremely handsome. TV Loras very much has the boyish charm 16 year old girls seem to like (ever seen those squealing girls at Justin Bieber concerts?), but he does look manly enough at the same time.

I don't know too much about sword fighting but I do think having a lot of muscle isn't everything?

They just posted a Renly Season 2 Teaser on FB. It seems way off the book.

First, we see Littlefinger hanging around Renly's camp doing what he does..from what I remember he wasn't there?

Second, there are scenes of Renly and Loras being intimate and Margaery walking in on them and then being naked herself. I thought they could be about to have an orgy..

She then is questioned by Littlefinger about her marriage to Renly and says she did it for the "good of the realm"...seems they are hyping up and really embelishing this relationship and Margaery very early on...

Anyone else catch it?

Second, there are scenes of Renly and Loras being intimate and Margaery walking in on them and then being naked herself. I thought they could be about to have an orgy..

I think that is just devious editing and it is actually 2 different scenes. All this stuff could have happened in the book also, except for LF obviously. But I think even the LF thing should work.

In the book he is sent after Renly's death. Moving it forward gives him more to do and will make things a lot more complicated for Catelyn when she shows up. It doesn't fundamentally change the story and that is the main thing for me.

Archived