[Book Spoilers] Is Brienne Ugly Enough? How was she?

See here's the thing about fictional stories - the writer can make the characters look however he or she envisions. Couple this with how each of us interprets such a description AND top it off with the strict parameters (scheduling, talent, etc.), producers have a pool of people from which to choose that it makes finding a perfect fit for everybody difficult at best. The more "fantastical" a character is in regard to the typical population makes finding a perfect fit nigh on impossible.

The moral of the story - get over it.

I'd rather have the characters played by highly talented actors/actresses that at least somewhat resemble their fictional counterparts. YMMV

It actually took me about five minutes to convince my mother that she wasn't really a man. She kept asking me if I was sure because she was so big and manly. I had to explain that she is supposed to be that way and her story is kind of like Tyrion's being a big, unattractive woman who doesn't fit into their society. And she still asked me if I was sure she was a woman. I couldn't stop laughing.

I think she was well cast, and her voice was great. Sadly, I've never much enjoyed Brienne's POV chapters, but I look forward to seeing what they do with her on the show.

See here's the thing about fictional stories - the writer can make the characters look however he or she envisions. Couple this with how each of us interprets such a description AND top it off with the strict parameters (scheduling, talent, etc.), producers have a pool of people from which to choose that it makes finding a perfect fit for everybody difficult at best. The more "fantastical" a character is in regard to the typical population makes finding a perfect fit nigh on impossible.

The moral of the story - get over it.

I'd rather have the characters played by highly talented actors/actresses that at least somewhat resemble their fictional counterparts. YMMV

You make a good point. I've been underwhelmed with Asha and Stannis, but I'm going to give them time before I judge.

For all of you criticizing that she is not UGLY enough...are you saying she is a beauty. Consider the scales of beauty and ugly in this show. I don't have a hard time a all thinking Briene is ugly, she is not a pampered pretty lady...it would take a lot of work to make her pretty, by the standards of Westeros courts, and she is still very tall, gangly and awkward, with a awkward mannish voice. I never imagined her looking like a hideous monster. I think the depiction in the show is pretty good.

I saw some comments on Asha's appearance...I think she actually is a little blah...maybe not by Iron Island standards, who knows? I pictured her a little more hot and strong. She looks like a real bitch, but kind of trashy and little fat around the belly. Really makes Theon look like a horny toad...anything with tits he wants to screw. But of course, the ship captain's daughter wasn't anything to look at (just like in the book).

I'm critiquing her looks in the sense that TV Brienne is clearly not 'ugly,' whereas book Brienne clearly is 'ugly.' See the quoted passages about about Brienne's broken nose, misshapen lips, and crooked teeth. But the TV Brienne not being hideous is not that big a deal. Tyrion should be far more hideous as well, with mismatched eyes, a bigger head, and longer and stronger arms. But the actor is doing a great job overall on him, and the character is more or less like he is in the books.

Asha is more objectionable than Brienne to me as she's less attractive than she could be, and nothing about her strikes me as athletic and dangerous. She looks like a slightly doughy, run-down farmgirl. She should look like a lean and hungry pirate with sex appeal. Plus, Instead of seeming self-assured and independant she seems resigned and subtle. At least Brienne looks like a big and dangerous and intimidating, and she's playing out the awkwardness.

TV Asha's look fits in with the rest of her TV family's looks. A dark haired, sexy Asha would appear out of place with the rest of the family.

Sorry you're disappointed with the lack of wack-off material.

TV Asha's look fits in with the rest of her TV family's looks. A dark haired, sexy Asha would appear out of place with the rest of the family.

I'll admit Asha sightly resembles her father, but Theon does not. At all.

One thing and I don't know if it's D&D asking her to do it that way,but Gwen looks perfect the first time she removes her helm, anytime she speaks. Other times when standing or walking silently she seems to adopt an odd facial expression of a haughty grimace. Sometimes it's ok , sometimes its awkward.

Seems I remember in the novels Brienne adopted a kind of 'blank' countenance reflecting her inner wall against a world hostile to her physical appearance and her out of placeness in a male world.

She comes across best , with this kind of expression, in her last line "I am not a lady." Wish she would stick with kind of stage presence.

I doubt anyone cares about wack-off material. People that read the books expected a character that looks like Asha is described: "lean and long-legged, with short black hair and a sharp nose in a thin face."

There's not one thing about the TV show version of Asha that's like she's described in the books. She doesnt have the right hair, she's FAR from lean, she's not noticably long legged, and her face is not thin.The TV show's Asha is wrong in every sense of her physical description. On top of that, Asha hasn't come off as a fierce, proud, dangerous warrior. Her demeanor has been quiet and subtle so far, and she doesnt seem any kind of physical threat. Absolutely nothing is correct about her from what we've seen in the TV show.

My one problem from her scene is that she seemed less clumsy. Remember, she is "as thick as a castle wall" and she tends to stutter and has trouble with words at times. From the first impression she seemed too poised in her speech to me. But by looks and stride, I think it was a great cast.

EDIT: One thing that did upset me is that Renly did not defend her like I expected him to when Loras jokingly called her Brienne the Beauty.

I think she was perfect. Not ugly enough? Well that's in the eye of the beholder. We have, in the books, seen Brienne thru the eyes of people in a world that, even more than today, celebrate the frail little passive woman with a classic look. Brienne is nothing like that.

Archived