[Book Spoilers] Is Brienne Ugly Enough? How was she?

Since I know this will most likely be a fairly common complaint/debate, thought it would it would be a good idea to go ahead and make this into a thread. So - is Brienne as hideous as you imagined? And how did she do? She prepped so much for this part, so I am expecting a lot.

Since I know this will most likely be a fairly common complaint/debate, thought it would it would be a good idea to go ahead and make this into a thread. So - is Brienne as hideous as you imagined? And how did she do? She prepped so much for this part, so I am expecting a lot.

Absolutely amazing. Quite the presence. I can't wait to watch this with my non-book-reader sister to see if she gasps when her helm comes off to reveal that she's a she. :P

She's close to what I had in mind. And awkward. Also as stubborn as in the books. :laugh:

Only it seems to me she has too intelligent a countenance, whereas in the books she looks stupid, but, blah! The actress was so completely perfect I'm happy to overlook such irrelevant details!

Lady Stark did a bang-up job of expressionless WTF at the first sight of Brienne unhelmed. The same non-expression she employed in her encounter with Walder Frey.

I 'felt' for Brienne, the character and the actor. She is, to the feminine, the same as Tyrion is to the masculine. Tyrion was supposed to be born tall, muscular, imposing and fierce. Brienne was supposed to be born feminine, submissive, smaller. Each has grown up with, and MF-ing DEALT with, their lot in life. Brienne, you go, girl!

:fencing:

Gwendoline Christie is a beautiful girl, so I wondered what they'd do to try and "ugly her up" for the part of Brienne. She's got the physical presence, easily. She's said in interviews that she's read the books, loved the character, and was interested in the part before she was even considered for it, so her understanding of Brienne is going to add to her portrayal.

She's certainly not as ugly as Brienne is described in the books, but they still managed to make Gwen look mannish and unattractive. Her mannerisms were spot-on, and as long as she does justice to the role, I'm happy!

I thought Asha Greyjoy uglier than Brienne in the series... wierd since I was hoping that she was a hottie for all the man that she seduced in the book

Honestly, must we define Every. Single. Female. In. The. Series. by how 'hot' she is? Is this the 1960s? Asha is a strong, smart, fierce PIRATE. Perhaps 'all the men that she seduced in the book' found that... hot? :rolleyes:

None of the characters really match their exact description in the books. I'm more concerned with how they are portrayed on the screen rather than how well the make-up department did.

Gwen totally rocked it. She's believable as a fierce warrior utterly loyal and in love with Renly. She's believable as a lady not comfortable with the path she is supposed to take. My non book reader sister was shocked by Brienne. She expected Selmy or the Hound or the Mountain. But she also totally 'got' the character. I'm very excited about future Brienne scenes.

Gwen totally rocked it. She's believable as a fierce warrior utterly loyal and in love with Renly. She's believable as a lady not comfortable with the path she is supposed to take. My non book reader sister was shocked by Brienne. She expected Selmy or the Hound or the Mountain. But she also totally 'got' the character. I'm very excited about future Brienne scenes.

Pretty much all of this, exactly.

Watching her on screen w/Nik, getting the Jaime/Brienne banter going - - that's gonna be fun!!

Honestly, must we define Every. Single. Female. In. The. Series. by how 'hot' she is? Is this the 1960s? Asha is a strong, smart, fierce PIRATE. Perhaps 'all the men that she seduced in the book' found that... hot? :rolleyes:

People do this with the male characters too. Jon Snow and Robb Stark, come on. Tyrion not being ugly enough, Renly not being handsome enough?

She wasn't nearly as ugly as the books, but then few women are. Her size and appearance none the less fit the bill perfectly for me, I thought she was awesome. She wore that plate armor better than I would have ever imagined and filled it out quite well. Can't wait to see more of her.

Archived