{Spoilers} Compiling all of GRRM subtleties you may have missed

Ghostwriter

- One of the many visions Dany sees in the House of the Undying, a man with a wolfs head sits amidst a dinner of corpses; prophesising the Red Wedding. I assumed that this was a vision of the past (like the R+L=J scene seems to be), or perhaps a vision of the ultimate fate of Robb Stark in Winds of Winter/Dream of Spring (victorious King in the North, but all his allies murdered, and possessing no real power). I didn't connect the dots after reading the Red Wedding that Dany's vision foresaw it.

Some people think that she didn't actually see the Red Wedding, that it was something else.

Septa Lemore = Ashara Dayne

This isn't a done deal at all yet.

I can't be bothered finding the exact quotes right now, but when Ned is questioned by Tomard about whether going to the weirwood to meet Cersei is wise, he says something along the lines of 'Not wise, but necessary'. Jon Snow unknowingly echoes this in aDWD when asked by Bowen Marsh about taking men out to the weirwood beyond the wall to swear their oaths. I don't know whether it's a just a coincidence though.

After Bran ate the Weirwood paste, he began to have a vision from the weirwood tree in Winterfell. He saw two children who he thought was himself and Arya, but never personally remembered Arya beating him with play swords. After the boy gets hurt the girls says "Quiet or Old Nan will hear you." It is believed that the two children were Eddard and Lyanna. If Nana was already old when Ned was a child, she has lived an impossibly long life. Combine this with her very short stature and many believe that Old Nan is actually one of the children of the forest.

It's Benjen and Lyanna - Lyanna was 16 when she died in 283. In the vision she's no more than Arya's age when Bran last saw her, so this likely occurred in 276 or so. That's 22 years before the beginning of the story. If Old Nan is in her 90s in 298, at the beginning of the story, she'd have already been in her 70s when Benjen and Lyanna were children. That's not an impossibly long life; in fact, we know of a (definitely human) character who has lived even longer, Maester Aemon.

• 1 month later...
The man who was sent to kill Bran was paid in silver. Lannisters always pay in gold. Littlefinger is explicitly said to be fond of paying in silver. Coincidence?

I thought that Tyrion puzzled out that Joffrey was responsible for the attempt on Bran's life.

Septa Lemore = Ashara Dayne

I agree with Apple Martini. This is not a done deal. I desperately hope it's true, though, and that Barristan encounters the woman he recalls as a tragic beauty dead before her time as a cheerful, flirtatious fortysomething.

Agree with the Frey pie thing.

Some people think that she didn't actually see the Red Wedding, that it was something else.

I don't think I've seen this theory. What are the clues? And what do these people think it is?

ETA: Now that I think about it, I think I saw someone arguing something about Euron. Is that it?

'You're uncle's bloody wedding.' Sandor to Arya when heading to the the twins. Unintentional fore-shadowing much, on Sandor's part at least.

And in regard to Dany's vision of Robb in the HotU, that was one of the few things I managed to puzzle out of all those prophecies upon my 1st read and was stupidly proud of myself (I'm not so good with figuring things out so the forums have been a right eye-opener for me.)

I don't think I've seen this theory. What are the clues? And what do these people think it is?

I don't remember the exact details, but someone had a really detailed explanation on the matter. I remember one of the points being that the dishes and plates were of a different material during the vision and the wedding itself. For example It was either tin or wood in the vision, but something completely different during the wedding, my example isn't accurate, but there's something along those lines. And the descriptions of the plates and whatnot were both very detailed as well IIRC.

Too bad I can't find the quote on the matter.

I am still hanging on to my theory that Varys staged the bread riot to take off Tyget Lannister and turn him into false Aegon.

Marie

It's Tyrek Lannister (Tygett was his father). And that's a terrible, terrible theory. Tyrion knows Tyrek very well. And Tyrek knows Tyrion. Tyrion does not recognize Aegon as Tyrek. Less dispositively, Aegon does not recognize "Hugor" as Tyrion. Plus, we get Connington's perspective, and we know he's been with Aegon for years. Tyrek was only disappeared a few months before. Plus, the whole point of Aegon is that he has the Targaryen coloring. Tyrek does not have the Targaryen coloring - he has Lannister coloring. This theory just fails in every possible way.

I do think Varys kidnapped Tyrek, but I think he's planning to use him as a pliable Lord of Casterly Rock after Aegon is established.

- The reason Sam can cross through the Weirwood gate under the Wall in SoS is because he (kind of arbitrarily) chose to say his vows to the weirwood rather than the Seven (This is a matter of debate, but I think it makes a lot of sense)

- Jaqen says "three deaths are owed to the Red God" because the 3 were about to burn to death

- It's stated at the very beginning of GoT that Jorah Mormont is Robert's informant on Dany (it surprised me how obvious it was from the beginning- with thousands of new characters, I did not remember this the first time through and it always felt to me like Jorah's betrayal was an unexpected twist)

Huh? I got the other two, but would you care to explain this one more? I don't ever recall Bran, Jojen or Meera engaging in cannibalism.

Its from Bran's last chapter in ADWD while with Bloodraven and the COF. Basically, his description of the weirwood paste that they give him to eat to really open his 3rd eye is suspicious to say the least. It's been theorized based on Jojen's increasing unhappiness and then disappearance that he is IN the weirwood paste.

Additionally, before that, when they are travelling with Coldhands, he goes to kill some humans who he thinks are following them or just nearby. I believe they were NW members/betrayers from Craster's Keep. Then he comes back with some food for all of them to eat. It's been suggested that they are eating the NW men.

Huh? I got the other two, but would you care to explain this one more? I don't ever recall Bran, Jojen or Meera engaging in cannibalism.

Coldhands goes to find food for them and comes back with meat from a couple of 'sows' he handily found. While they're cooking Bran is asleep and inside Summer. While inside Summer he finds the remains of some freshly killed nights watch men (if I remember correctly they're being eaten by ravens). The logical conclusion is that Coldhands killed the men and that Bran, Meera and Jojen ate them.

• 7 months later...

The man who was sent to kill Bran was paid in silver. Lannisters always pay in gold. Littlefinger is explicitly said to be fond of paying in silver. Coincidence?

Even though in SoS Jamie and Tyrion conclude that it was Joff who attempted to kill Bran...I always have (and still do) have the theory that it was LF's doing. No one on the forums agrees with me, but that's the conclusion I drew the first time I read the books, and still do. Oh well.

ETA: Now that I think about it, I think I saw someone arguing something about Euron. Is that it?

The prophecy briefly was this in HoU: "A feast of slaughtered corpses holding cups, spoons, and food, with a dead man with a wolf's head sitting on a throne wearing an iron crown." What if that is Jon, (dead man?) warged into Ghost, and he is on the iron throne, having slaughtered the remaining "enemies" of the Stark Family?

Archived