A Thread for Small Questions XVII

Angalin

Just bringing back something said earlier in the forum about who Ned was going to marry before Brandon died It was Barbara Ryswell ie Lady Dustin. In her talk with Theon when she is explaining why she hates the Starks she explains that since Brandon was promised to Catelyn then she would marry Ned and then i believe she said but Catelyn Stark got him too

Thought Balon was killed by Stannis and Melisandre leach thing?

Negative, the only times they used a "shadow baby" was to kill Renly and the castellan of Storm's End (Ser Cortnay Penrose I believe).

We don't know the specific way Balon was murdered, actually we don't know for certain is was murder. Although it is very likely it was. It is a popular theory that Euron hired the Faceless Men to off Balon.

Just bringing back something said earlier in the forum about who Ned was going to marry before Brandon died It was Barbara Ryswell ie Lady Dustin. In her talk with Theon when she is explaining why she hates the Starks she explains that since Brandon was promised to Catelyn then she would marry Ned and then i believe she said but Catelyn Stark got him too

"Afterward my father nursed some hope of wedding me to Brandon’s brother Eddard, but Catelyn Tully got that one as well."

There's not even any talk of Brandon marrying her, just her father's ambitions and Brandon's willingness to bed her.

"Afterward my father nursed some hope of wedding me to Brandon’s brother Eddard, but Catelyn Tully got that one as well." There's not even any talk of Brandon marrying her, just her father's ambitions and Brandon's willingness to bed her.

I think you mean no talk of Ned marrying her... It is not for sure that Ned would marry her. But I'm sure Ned would have wed anyone his father told him to, as was his duty. Ryswell would have been a pretty good match, one of the most powerful houses in the North. But with Rickard Stark's southron ambition, I'm not sure he would have chosen a Northern house. Even if Lord Ryswell had proposed it

I don't know if this is the type of question this thread is meant for, but I am waiting until vacation to read ADWD (other than a couple chapters i couldn't wait for), but I've pretty much totally spoiled myself for its major developments, and I'm wondering whether fake Arya knows that she is Jeyne Poole or whether she now truly believes that she's Arya?

I don't know if this is the type of question this thread is meant for, but I am waiting until vacation to read ADWD (other than a couple chapters i couldn't wait for), but I've pretty much totally spoiled myself for its major developments, and I'm wondering whether fake Arya knows that she is Jeyne Poole or whether she now truly believes that she's Arya?

She knows who she is. No brainwashing going on.

Thought Balon was killed by Stannis and Melisandre leach thing?

Not necessarily. It's possible Melisandre only saw Balon, Robb, and Joffrey's deaths in the flames and used the the leech burning as "proof" that king's blood can get Stannis what he wants, thereby persuading him to give Edric Storm to Melisandre. Or alternatively, it was her leeches that brought about their deaths, but through means that were not directly related to her (Robb and Joffrey certainly died under circumstances in which Melisandre wasn't directly involved, so it's safe to suppose the same was true of Balon). Whatever the case, there is still plenty of room for Euron to have been involved in Balon's death.

How is Jon Fire? I missed that. Also each of them are
only half Targ so if they get together we will have a complete Targ. I know we have no evidence of Dany warging - just a flight of imagination :)

My bad - it is Aegon who would be half Targ, not Dany

Rhaegar is his father (Fire) and Lyanna is his mother (Ice). That's ... not really how that works. Also, the idea of them getting together is vomit-inducing. Why anyone roots for it is beyond me. So long as you don't actually think it will happen, because it won't.

1) Ah. Well then why do we need all these other characters? jk

2) Um, yeah, and Dany is full Targ. oops.

3) I will know what happens when it happens. I dont have any reason to expect Dany to start warging dragons. There should be a separate thread for folks who arent scared of book spoilers but would appreciate a warning before someone with knowledge of FUTURE books starts blabbing.

3) I will know what happens when it happens. I dont have any reason to expect Dany to start warging dragons. There should be a separate thread for folks who arent scared of book spoilers but would appreciate a warning before someone with knowledge of FUTURE books starts blabbing.

Who is revealing info from future books here?

I've been wondering who,aside from Catelyn , knew the contents of Robb's will?Is there any chance Jon's ever going to know Robb made him heir or did all those who knew die at the red wedding?

We aren't all that certain that Robb named Jon, although odds are very good indeed that he did.

IIRC Galbart Glover and Lady Maege Mormont were charged by Robb with the task of bring the letter to the Neck and Howland Reed. Jason Mallister was with them at first, but later they got separated.

So yes, there is definitely a chance, particularly if Galbart and Maege made it to Howland Reed.

We aren't all that certain that Robb named Jon, although odds are very good indeed that he did. IIRC Galbart Glover and Lady Maege Mormont were charged by Robb with the task of bring the letter to the Neck and Howland Reed. Jason Mallister was with them at first, but later they got separated. So yes, there is definitely a chance, particularly if Galbart and Maege made it to Howland Reed.

Howland Reed again... Anyway thanks for the answer :)

I've been wondering who,aside from Catelyn , knew the contents of Robb's will?Is there any chance Jon's ever going to know Robb made him heir or did all those who knew die at the red wedding?

It's hard to say, by name we know the people certain in the tent with him are Glover, Maege Mormont, Mallister, the Greatjon, Edmure and Cat. Yet the wording is ambiguous on whether they knew the contents of the document they were putting their seals to as witness. We saw with Roberts will that Renly and Pycelle are brought in to stand witness as Robert seals it without knowing the contents.

"I’ve thought long and hard about who might follow me. I command you now as my true and loyal lords to fix your seals to this document as witnesses to my decision.” -Robb

I have a question, why do people think Glover and Mormont have Robb's will? All the Lords sealing his document of succession comes at the end of the chapter with no mention of what he does with it after. The letters they are given are spelled out as false and their only verbal orders concern the retaking of the Neck.

“You’ll carry letters for those lords of mine who remain in the north, but all the commands within will be false, in case you have the misfortune to be taken."

Is his will mentioned later in the books? Because unless it isn't, from the passage where these quotes come from, it makes it entirely possible that nobody else but Cat knew the contents of the will and that it is also possible Robb had it when he went to the Red Wedding and it is now lost.

Is there any actual text that refutes that and says where Robb's will is?

Who is revealing info from future books here?

The statement from Apple Martini sounded like a statement of fact, not a personal opinion.

I know some people have read interviews etc which gives them some clue about future books. I guess there is nothing wrong with "correcting" someone who presents a personal opinion (or a joke) about future events if you have inside knowledge but a) if it isnt asked for why give it and B) why not do it politely with spoiler warnings

BTW why has no one mentioned that using the word "warg" for anything but a wolf is wrong? That was my egregious error.

Marie

Who is revealing info fromfuture books here?
The statement from Apple Martini sounded like a statement of fact, not a personal opinion. I know some people have read interviews etc which gives them some clue about future books. I guess there is nothing wrong with "correcting" someone who presents a personal opinion (or a joke) about future events if you have inside knowledge but a) if it isnt asked for why give it and B) why not do it politely with spoiler warnings BTW why has no one mentioned that using the word "warg" for anything but a wolf is wrong? That was my egregious error. Marie

The statement from Apple Martini sounded like a statement of fact, not a personal opinion. I know some people have read interviews etc which gives them some clue about future books. I guess there is nothing wrong with "correcting" someone who presents a personal opinion (or a joke) about future events if you have inside knowledge but a) if it isnt asked for why give it and B) why not do it politely with spoiler warnings BTW why has no one mentioned that using the word "warg" for anything but a wolf is wrong? That was my egregious error. Marie

Trust me, there were no spoilers in Apple Martini's response to you. What came across as a "statement of fact" was just a very insistent statement of opinion.

I'm confused about the status of the prisoners at the Twins. Jaime asks the Freys for them in AFFC. Have they not yet been released? Are they on there way somewhere from the Twins? Or are they still at the Twins? Also, as of the end of ADWD, is Edmure Tully still on his way to Casterly Rock, or is he there, or do we not know?

I'm confused about the status of the prisoners at the Twins. Jaime asks the Freys for them in AFFC. Have they not yet been released? Are they on there way somewhere from the Twins? Or are they still at the Twins? Also, as of the end of ADWD, is Edmure Tully still on his way to Casterly Rock, or is he there, or do we not know?

We're not really sure where the Twins' prisoners are. Ryman Frey was, I believe, supposed to take the message to Walder that ordered their release, but he had an unfortunate ... hang-up ... on the way. So that's up in the air at the moment.

And as far as I know, Edmure is on the way to Casterly Rock. Without an update or a POV from that area, though, there's no way to know for sure where he is.

BTW why has no one mentioned that using the word "warg" for anything but a wolf is wrong? That was my egregious error.

Plenty of people mention it. It's just easier and less clunky to use "warg" as a catch-all, even though technically it only refers to wolves.

Archived