Blackfyre or Targaryen? Who would you support?

Cryler

Given that I know the outcome, the Targs.

Also, the Targs anyway. Blackfyres can go to hell. "My daddy gave me a sword so now I get to be a king cuz I'm good at cutting shit in half and stuff."

I would say Blackfyre. Yes, Daddy gave Daemon a sword, but it wasnt just any sword. It was Aegon I's sword, the sword of kings, carried by Targaryen kings. Thats a helluva sword to be given, its practically naming the guy your heir. Now granted "daddy" was more of a drunken buffoon than Robert but still. Plus, Daemon only sought the crown after being slighted (something about a woman he loved and who loved him being sworn to another by the king). He seemed like an honorable guy and I'd have no problem rolling with him. especially since the legit king was thought to be a bastard as well (& not one of the Kings at that).

It says a lot about how idiotic the system of governing and the culture of Westeros is when so many lords and knights decided to support Daemon mostly because he had a cool sword and was a badass fighter even though Daeron was a wise man and proven as very capable king.

But I guess it's not only them who base their choice on such ridiculous criteria, looking at some comments in this thread...

Daeron II all the way. He wasn't called "The Good" for nothing. Daemon on the other hand just seems like your typical (though well above average) warrior. Warriors don't make good kings (see Robert).

I actually like Daeron, but had Daemon not been riddled with Bloodraven's arrows I think he wouldve won the war. Not all warriors are bad rulers. No one can argue that Ned Stark wasnt a warrior but his men loved & respected him which is the mark of a great leader.

Robert was like Daemon, charismatic, handsome and a warrior of exceptional skill, but he proved to be a terrible king. AS Apple Martini pointed out in an earlier post, Daemon didn't start the war for the Iron Throne because he felt Daeron was a tyrant, and wanted overthrow him for the good of the realm, it was because of personal issues when the woman he loved Danaerys was arranged to marry the Prince of Dorne instead of him even though he was already married.

Daeron didn't have the martial skills or charisma of Daemon, but his reign was one of peace and prosperity.

I choose Targaryen, but I'll support Jon over Aegon but not Dany.

I'd pick Targaryen because the laws of the realm must be accepted even if they don't happen to benefit you at the moment. Blackfyre had no claim and should've been more than happy with what was given him with his legitimization.

I would say Blackfyre. Yes, Daddy gave Daemon a sword, but it wasnt just any sword. It was Aegon I's sword, the sword of kings, carried by Targaryen kings. Thats a helluva sword to be given, its practically naming the guy your heir. Now granted "daddy" was more of a drunken buffoon than Robert but still. Plus, Daemon only sought the crown after being slighted (something about a woman he loved and who loved him being sworn to another by the king). He seemed like an honorable guy and I'd have no problem rolling with him. especially since the legit king was thought to be a bastard as well (& not one of the Kings at that).

Even if Aegon the Unworthy (there's a clue you shouldn't give two craps about what he wanted for the future) named Daemon his heir, that wouldn't negate the law of succession. There's no indication that a father has the right to name his own heir in Westeros.

And yes, Daemon decided to press his claim out of spite over a woman. That's an indication of his superficiality and sense of entitlement, not his worthiness of the throne. He embroiled the continent in a bloody civil war because, unlike literally every other nobleman in Westeros, he couldn't get over not being able to marry for love. I hope that Bloodraven's aim wasn't too good, Daemon deserved a slow death to give him time to think about what an idiot he was.

Even if Aegon the Unworthy (there's a clue you shouldn't give two craps about what he wanted for the future) named Daemon his heir, that wouldn't negate the law of succession. There's no indication that a father has the right to name his own heir in Westeros.

And yes, Daemon decided to press his claim out of spite over a woman. That's an indication of his superficiality and sense of entitlement, not his worthiness of the throne. He embroiled the continent in a bloody civil war because, unlike literally every other nobleman in Westeros, he couldn't get over not being able to marry for love. I hope that Bloodraven's aim wasn't too good, Daemon deserved a slow death to give him time to think about what an idiot he was.

very true, like i said, the dude was a drunken buffoon. But since Daeron is thought to be the son of the DragonKnight and not the king, should succession really matter here. Daeron was a GREAT king, no question, but if I had to pick a side, im relatively certain i wouldve sided with Daemon because I thought he'd win.

The Blackfyres are more interesting from a literary standpoint, but the Targaryens had obviously the best claim. Daemon was simply the Renly of his time in that aspect (I'm da King because people like me and I'm cool and I can cut stuff with my badass sword! I'm da shit!), although less gay and with more swordsmanship, while Bittersteel was the Tyrells pushing him into that direction.

The Blackfyres are more interesting from a literary standpoint, but the Targaryens had obviously the best claim.

Between the two, the Targaryens have the better claim.

Whether they actually have the best claim once all pretenders including Baratheons are considered, well, that’s a different question. Certainly they think they do, but then who doesn’t? See Stannis.

Speaking of whom, has anybody noticed that Shireen and Edric Storm are actually double first cousins? They should have a unique family resemblance, since it’s from both sides.

I wonder whether that means Edric will get greyscale.

very true, like i said, the dude was a drunken buffoon. But since Daeron is thought to be the son of the DragonKnight and not the king, should succession really matter here. Daeron was a GREAT king, no question, but if I had to pick a side, im relatively certain i wouldve sided with Daemon because I thought he'd win.

Apparently Aeron IV made that rumour up himself because he wanted Daemon to inherit.

Archived