What will Khal Jhaqo do with Daenerys?

Lady Hodor

Dany is such a hot mess during the last couple of books. At this point, I just want her to get her shit together.

It's hard to root for somebody who is constantly making the wrong decisions, no matter how good her intentions are.

"Before I am done with them, Mago and Ko Jhaqo will plead for the mercy they showed Eroeh."

"Khaleesi, Jhaqo is khal now, with twenty thousand riders at his back."

"And I am Daenerys Stormborn, Daenerys of House Targaryen, of the blood of Aegon the Conqueror and Maegor the Cruel and old Valyria before them. I am the dragon's daughter, and I swear to you, these men will die screaming."

So... yeah.

Yes, this is it for me. A temporary alliance to defeat the army beseiging Mereen is obviously in Dany's interests and seems most likely. But she has to temper her hostility to Mago and Jhaqo, even forgive them for this to happen. We have seen in Mereen that she has learnt to make compromises for political ends - re-opening the fighting pits, marrying Hizdahr - but the last chapter in ADWD was all about her remembering that she is a dragon.

I think Jhaquo will be prudent and form an alliance but he will be an ally rather than a follower. I think Dany is done with the Dothraki and Vaes Dothrak as she is Mereen and that she is heading west - Volantis, Westeros - rather than east. If George still hasn't unpicked the Mereenese knot or If she is going to Asshai, uniting the Dothraki at Vaes Dothrak first (Pono is along the Rhoyne?), and then Westeros I don't see ten books being enough let alone seven.

If George still hasn't unpicked the Mereenese knot or If she is going to Asshai, uniting the Dothraki at Vaes Dothrak first (Pono is along the Rhoyne?), and then Westeros I don't see ten books being enough let alone seven.

I think he has untangled the Gordian knot by sending her East on a dragon and giving her a disease. Get thee behind me Meereen.

Marie

The Dothraki worship horses. It is said that horses fear dragons and it would be foolish to stay on top of one as the rider will most definately fall off and break their neck. I have a feeling the Dothraki horses will go berserk and that alone will bring them to their knees.

I may be a little optimistic, but I'd like it to go down like this. Jhaqo is roasted, Drogon eats him. Dany ties a braid in her hair. The Khalasar follow her, head to Meereen. Meanwhile the other Khalasar's are heading to Meereen to get in on the action. Dany runs into them. Kills one leader, ties another braid, and the other bends the knee. Then the united Khalasar's descend on Meereen. Win battle, Volantene's arrive, kill them, ties some more braids. With the combined fleets of the Iron men, Volantene's and Yunkai blockade she has enough transport to sail her army to Westeros. She leaves the people behind and sets up some administrators to watch over her cities. Stops in at Volantis and subdues them without a fight. Then the fleet finally sets sail for Westeros and arrives just before the end of TWoW.

I may be a little optimistic, but I'd like it to go down like this. Jhaqo is roasted, Drogon eats him. Dany ties a braid in her hair. The Khalasar follow her, head to Meereen. Meanwhile the other Khalasar's are heading to Meereen to get in on the action. Dany runs into them. Kills one leader, ties another braid, and the other bends the knee. Then the united Khalasar's descend on Meereen. Win battle, Volantene's arrive, kill them, ties some more braids. With the combined fleets of the Iron men, Volantene's and Yunkai blockade she has enough transport to sail her army to Westeros. She leaves the people behind and sets up some administrators to watch over her cities. Stops in at Volantis and decides to be Queen of Volantis. Fucks the city up worse than she did to Meeren. By the end of the final book she's finally ready to consider possibly maybe going to Westeros, if she's able to get resources, of course.

Fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda unfair that dany will get more dothraki and all along with the unsullied she's got and tyrion in the works to get her more military might. Damn she will need alot of ships to bring all of them to westeros, but yea i see him dying since he already made a pledge to kill his ass. So yes i do see him becoming dragon bait and she getting his men.

I don't see any way, given the hints GRRM has given thus far, for Dany to avoid ending up in Vaes Dothrak. Not only does the prophecy from the HOTU point there, but we know how much GRRM loves his parallels, and given all the parallels thus far between Dany and Cersei, the fact that Cersei ended up imprisoned by a bunch of crones at the end of AFFC can very easily foreshadow a parallel with Dany being imprisoned by the crones of Vaes Dothrak in TWOW.

Whether she goes to Vaes Dothrak of her own volition or she gets dragged there in chains, it all depends on Drogon. If he stays with her, if he roasts the khalasar, then Dany's position is strong, and she'll be the one calling the shots. But the problem is, look at what Dany says about Drogon's daily schedule:

And no matter how far the dragon flew each day, come nightfall some instinct drew him home to Dragonstone.

Every day he hunts in the Dothraki Sea, but every night he flies back to his lair. And look at what time it is when Dany encounters the khalasar:

As the western sky turned the color of a blood bruise, she heard the sound of approaching horses. Dany rose, wiped her hands on her ragged undertunic, and went to stand beside her dragon.

So Drogon always leaves off his hunting at nighttime to fly back to his lair, Dany's final chapter ended with the sky turning dark as night approaches . . . I think Drogon's going to fly back to Dragonstone, and Dany's going to find herself stranded among a hostile khalasar led by a khal who's going to drag her back to Vaes Dothrak kicking and screaming. Whoops.

It is an awesome sight that the superstitious Dothraki behold, Dany and her massive black dragon eating charred meat.

However hard Khal Jhaqo thinks he is, he isn't hanging around with DRAGONS.

I see the choice as being Dany's:

- fight with me, or burn and be eaten by my dragon

Or

- (after calling black fire on Jhaqo) fight with me, or my children will set the Dothraki Sea on fire.

Mass kneel + 'khaleesi' = Dany on her way back to Mereen with a khalasar.

Although, if GRRM wants to make it climactic, have Mereen bogged down in siege and urban warfare while Dany goes to Vaes Dothrak, gets Crone blessing, and leads many khalasars to Mereen to win the day. Leaving her in possession of both Ironborn and Volantene fleets.

So Drogon always leaves off his hunting at nighttime to fly back to his lair, Dany's final chapter ended with the sky turning dark as night approaches . . . I think Drogon's going to fly back to Dragonstone, and Dany's going to find herself stranded among a hostile khalasar led by a khal who's going to drag her back to Vaes Dothrak kicking and screaming. Whoops.

At the house of the Undying, Dany sees a vision of the Crones of Vaes Dothrak emerging from a lake (suggesting she's going to be using fire) to kneel before her.

She ain't getting dragged there by angry rapists, sorry to disappoint. H8ers to the Wall.

And you can say "Whoops" all you like -- but Dany getting dragged to Vaes Dothrak is not funny in the slightest, as she'd probably get raped by Jhaqo and Mago, just like Eroeh. I actually find it so incredibly offensive that you'd attempt to make this comedic. But I'm not really surprised at the blatant misogynism.

At the house of the Undying, Dany sees a vision of the Crones of Vaes Dothrak emerging from a lake (suggesting she's going to be using fire) to kneel before her.

She ain't getting dragged there by angry rapists, sorry to disappoint. H8ers to the Wall.

And you can say "Whoops" all you like -- but Dany getting dragged to Vaes Dothrak is not funny in the slightest, as she'd probably get raped by Jhaqo and Mago, just like Eroeh. I actually find it so incredibly offensive that you'd attempt to make this comedic. But I'm not really surprised at the blatant misogynism.

Just so.

It is an awesome sight that the superstitious Dothraki behold, Dany and her massive black dragon eating charred meat.

Not just charred meat, charred horse. This must be a sign to them.

And besides the Dothraki follow only the strong. Horse < Dragon.

First, given that she's been constantly shitting herself and probably just had a miscarriage earlier in the day, and has not washed since either of those things, I find it unlikely that the men of the Dothraki are really going to want to rape her. Not if they fear catching her sickness, and especially not once they get an actual whiff of her. For that matter, Jhaqo was perfectly capable of grabbing her and raping her after Drogo died, a la Eroeh, and he didn't. You're assuming he's going to rape her/have her raped now, when he didn't before, and there's no actual evidence he'd do it now, given that he had the opportunity before and didn't. It's far more likely that he'll just drag her to Vaes Dothrak and tell the crones she's their problem now.

Second, Dany getting dragged to Vaes Dothrak in this particular context is hilarious. She wanted all the glory and power of being a Khaleesi but none of the accompanying responsibilities---karma, thy name is Daenerys. The crones are going to be pissed at her. Joining the crones of the Vaes Dothrak is supposed to be a huge honor, and Dany spat in their faces. She thinks she's better than them, why wouldn't they be pissed! Everyone in this thread keeps talking about all the things Dany's going to do with Jhaqo---and by that, they mean all the things Dany via Drogon is going to do with Jhaqo---which is predicated on the notion that Drogon doesn't, you know, just fly away, back to his lair. Like he does every night. And it's now night. Dany very explicitly knows this, yet she doesn't mount the dragon's back when she confronts the khalasar. She stands beside him. At the time of day when he flies away. An act which would leave Dany all alone in the midst of a group of people who believe she got their beloved khal killed and who know she felt comfortable spurning one of their most sacred groups (the crones of Vaes Dothrak). Whoops.

ETA: Edited out a paragraph better suited to PM.

Archived