What will Khal Jhaqo do with Daenerys?

Lady Hodor

First, given that she's been constantly shitting herself and probably just had a miscarriage earlier in the day, and has not washed since either of those things, I find it unlikely that the men of the Dothraki are really going to want to rape her. Not if they fear catching her sickness, and especially not once they get an actual whiff of her. For that matter, Jhaqo was perfectly capable of grabbing her and raping her after Drogo died, a la Eroeh, and he didn't. You're assuming he's going to rape her/have her raped now, when he didn't before, and there's no actual evidence he'd do it now, given that he had the opportunity before and didn't. It's far more likely that he'll just drag her to Vaes Dothrak and tell the crones she's their problem now.

Second, I find the idea of you, a man, lecturing me, a woman, on what is and is not misogynistic, to be incredibly offensive. I realize from past threads that you, for some inexplicable reason, feel entirely comfortable lecturing women on this topic, but no, you do not know more about misogyny than me, someone who has experienced it firsthand. You find an idea misogynistic? Well I don't.

We don't know how close Daenerys and the Dothraki are to Vaes Dothrak. By then it's fair to say that Dany will probably be recovered, and I don't think it can be said that they won't even consider raping her. This is, after all, the same series of novels where a woman on her period was fucked by her brother ... next to the corpse of their son.

You are correct that I have not experienced misogynism first hand (ETA: although as a not-very-masculine man I have experienced discrimination, as I possess qualities that are typically associated with femininity), but I am part of a minority and have experienced first hand prejudice. I therefore try to "lecture" people about misogyny, just as I hope that heterosexuals will "lecture" people about homophobia, and whites will "lecture" people about racism.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but believe me the idea of Dany being dragged to Vaes Dothrak at the mercy of a Khal who considers her his enemy is NOT something I find comedic. It makes me feel ill, to be perfectly honest.

We don't know how close Daenerys and the Dothraki are to Vaes Dothrak. By then it's fair to say that Dany will probably be recovered, and I don't think it can be said that they won't even consider raping her. This is, after all, the same series of novels where a woman on her period was fucked by her brother ... next to the corpse of their son.

It's not fair to say Dany will probably be recovered by the time they reach Vaes Dothrak, actually. The fact that Dany notes Drogon has hunted in this place before could actually be a hint that they're very close to Vaes Dothrak, and that he's been attacking horses from khalasars just entering (or leaving) the city. I have no idea why we should assume Dany's going to get raped now, when none of the Dothraki raped her after Drogo's death in AGOT. It's not like Jorah and her khas were really going to be able to stop Jhaqo and Mago and Jhaqo's 20,000 followers. For all we know, the Dothraki consider it unclean to "soil themselves" with a woman guilty of practicing blood magic (which would explain why nobody followed through on the threats to stake out Mirri Maz Duur, and Dany herself, for praticing blood magic). It's equally possible that, given the status of the crones of Vaes Dothrak in Dothraki society, raping a woman bound for the crones is taboo.

You are correct that I have not experienced misogynism first hand (ETA: although as a not-very-masculine man I have experienced discrimination, as I possess qualities that are typically associated with femininity), but I am part of a minority and have experienced first hand prejudice. I therefore try to "lecture" people about misogyny, just as I hope that heterosexuals will "lecture" people about homophobia, and whites will "lecture" people about racism.

Oh dear lord. A man lecturing a woman about misogyny is like a heterosexual lecturing homosexuals about homophobia. It's insulting, it's absurd, and rather importantly, it derails the thread. Please stop this.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but believe me the idea of Dany being dragged to Vaes Dothrak at the mercy of a Khal who considers her his enemy is NOT something I find comedic. It makes me feel ill, to be perfectly honest.

I think it's a fantastic opportunity, plot-wise. Dany felt perfectly comfortable declaring herself Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea . . . so long as she was not ON the Dothraki Sea, so long has she had, like thirty Dothraki with her and she never actually had to interact with any khals or with the greater Dothraki society at large. Now that's all changed.

It's also a perfect opportunity to examine the Dothraki culture from an angle that simply wasn't present during AGOT, because Dany started out among the Dothraki as the top woman in the khalasar, so she never experienced firsthand what life was like among the Dothraki for those not at the top. And rather importantly, she never spent time with any Dothraki women other than her personal slaves, so I'm very interested to see how non-slave Dothraki women treat Dany in Jhaqo's khalasar. This is an opportunity to actually get a clearer picture of Dothraki society in general, and Dothraki women in particular (especially if Jhaqo has a Khaleesi) than we got via Dany's POV in AGOT. A close reading of AGOT shows that Dany was actually incredibly socially isolated from the people of Drogo's khalasar (other than Drogo's bloodriders and her own guards and slaves)---what about those tens of thousands of "ordinary" Dothraki that she never interacted with? There had to have been some high-ranking women of the khalasar, as presumably high-ranking warriors would have had wives and daughters, yet Dany never interacted with any Dothraki women but her slaves, which is bizarre if you think about it. We know how Dany thought the Dothraki viewed her, but how did they actually view her? Spending some time in a khalasar that does NOT view Dany as an authority figure is a perfect way to analyze how Dany was actually perceived by the Dothraki back when she was an authority figure.

Oh dear lord. A man lecturing a woman about misogyny is like a heterosexual lecturing homosexuals about homophobia. It's insulting, it's absurd, and rather importantly, it derails the thread. Please stop this.

Implying that people cannot be insensitive and discriminatory to people in their group. Of course one would hope that a certain amount of empathy would come from being in an oppressed class. Tis not always so I've come to learn.

It's not fair to say Dany will probably be recovered by the time they reach Vaes Dothrak, actually. The fact that Dany notes Drogon has hunted in this place before could actually be a hint that they're very close to Vaes Dothrak, and that he's been attacking horses from khalasars just entering (or leaving) the city. I have no idea why we should assume Dany's going to get raped now, when none of the Dothraki raped her after Drogo's death in AGOT. It's not like Jorah and her khas were really going to be able to stop Jhaqo and Mago and Jhaqo's 20,000 followers. For all we know, the Dothraki consider it unclean to "soil themselves" with a woman guilty of practicing blood magic (which would explain why nobody followed through on the threats to stake out Mirri Maz Duur, and Dany herself, for praticing blood magic). It's equally possible that, given the status of the crones of Vaes Dothrak in Dothraki society, raping a woman bound for the crones is taboo.

The Yunkish forces sent word to a number of khalasars to come and join them, suggesting that they are now somewhere close to Meereen.

Dany most likely survived the events following Drogo's death because of magic, but not because the Dothraki didn't want to "soil themselves". They knew that MMD was a maegi before they raped her, after all.

We also don't know if raping a crone would be taboo. This is never stated in the text as far as I can recall, so it's very fair to say that Daenerys will be in serious danger if Drogon abandons her. It will not be comedic.

I will happily stop this. But I think you're being a tiny bit ignorant right here. Homosexuals are very guilty of homophobia (believe me) and I expect that there are a number of heterosexuals who have never been guilty of homophobia. Women can be very guilty of misogyny. Some also argue that hatred of homosexuals is due to misogny. This isn't the thread for it, so if you wish to continue the discussion feel free to PM me, but I've said all that I feel needs to be said.

I think it's a fantastic opportunity, plot-wise. Dany felt perfectly comfortable declaring herself Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea . . . so long as she was not ON the Dothraki Sea, so long has she had, like thirty Dothraki with her and she never actually had to interact with any khals or with the greater Dothraki society at large. Now that's all changed.

It's also a perfect opportunity to examine the Dothraki culture from an angle that simply wasn't present during AGOT, because Dany started out among the Dothraki as the top woman in the khalasar, so she never experienced firsthand what life was like among the Dothraki for those not at the top. And rather importantly, she never spent time with any Dothraki women other than her personal slaves, so I'm very interested to see how non-slave Dothraki women treat Dany in Jhaqo's khalasar. This is an opportunity to actually get a clearer picture of Dothraki society in general, and Dothraki women in particular (especially if Jhaqo has a Khaleesi) than we got via Dany's POV in AGOT. A close reading of AGOT shows that Dany was actually incredibly socially isolated from the people of Drogo's khalasar (other than Drogo's bloodriders and her own guards and slaves)---what about those tens of thousands of "ordinary" Dothraki that she never interacted with? There had to have been some high-ranking women of the khalasar, as presumably high-ranking warriors would have had wives and daughters, yet Dany never interacted with any Dothraki women but her slaves, which is bizarre if you think about it. We know how Dany thought the Dothraki viewed her, but how did they actually view her? Spending some time in a khalasar that does NOT view Dany as an authority figure is a perfect way to analyze how Dany was actually perceived by the Dothraki back when she was an authority figure.

... What? Dany spent plenty of time with the "ordinary" members of her khalasar after AGOT. Her whole khalasar at that point is full of women. Just because we don't see her interacting with them does not mean that there was no interaction.

There will be plenty of time for Dany to interact with other Dothraki women (if that's what you're so concerned about) when the Crones proclaim her as the stallion who mounts the world, so she doesn't need to be dragged to Vaes Dothrak for this "fantastic opportunity", as you put it, to be explored.

Second, I find the idea of you, a man, lecturing me, a woman, on what is and is not misogynistic, to be incredibly offensive. I realize from past threads that you, for some inexplicable reason, feel entirely comfortable lecturing women on this topic, but no, you do not know more about misogyny than me, someone who has experienced it firsthand. You find an idea misogynistic? Well I don't.

Please. This assumes women cannot be misogynist which is completely and utterly false. You do feminism and your own feminist credentials no service by automatically disregarding what men have to say.

If you will not take Patrick Stormborn's words, then take mine, as I am definitely not a man and I completely agree with him.

Third, Dany getting dragged to Vaes Dothrak in this particular context is hilarious. She wanted all the glory and power of being a Khaleesi but none of the accompanying responsibilities---karma, thy name is Daenerys.

Well, I am not sure where you get this from that she wanted all the glory and power but none of the responsibilities, and I cannot for the life of me see how Dany being dragged to Vaes Dothrak the way you suggest (i.e. in a violent way) could be anything deemed "hilarious" unless you find wishing violence on a character hilarious?

Danny is going to kill Kal Jhaqo his Blood Riders and steal his Khalasar. Once the rest of the Dothraki see theirs leaders skin melt off their skin they will follow.

If you are wondering why she will kill him it is foreshadowed:

Jhaqo was the second to declare himself Khal after Drogo's illness. His khalasar consists of twenty thousand riders.[2]It is said that Mago became one of his Bloodriders.

Before departing, Mago stole Eroeh, an innocent girl Daenerys had protected from him. Mago raped her and gave her to Jhaqo to rape as well. The girl was then raped by six of Jhaqo's other men before having her throat slit. When Daenerys learned of Ereoh's fate she said: “ "It was a cruel fate, Yet not so cruel as Mago's will be. I promise you that, by the old gods and the new, by the lamb god and the horse god and every god that lives. I swear by the Mother of Mountains and the Womb of the World. Before I am done with them, Mago and Ko Jhaqo will plead for the mercy they showed Eroeh."

Dany most likely survived the events following Drogo's death because of magic, but not because the Dothraki didn't want to "soil themselves". They knew that MMD was a maegi before they raped her, after all.

No, they had no way of knowing Mirri was a maegi before they raped her. She didn't start doing blood magic in the Dothraki's presence until after the rapes.

We also don't know if raping a crone would be taboo. This is never stated in the text as far as I can recall, so it's very fair to say that Daenerys will be in serious danger if Drogon abandons her. It will not be comedic.

Of course she'll be in physical danger. You assume she'll be in danger of being raped, and I disagree. Among the khalasar, I think she'll have to walk long distances without shoes, won't get good food, won't have a tent, won't have anyone to dress or care for her, and will be teased and taunted mercilessly by those around her en route to Vaes Dothrak. I think she'll be in far more physical danger from the crones than from Jhoqo, the guy who had the opportunity to rape and kill her in the past and didn't.

Dany lecturing the Dothraki about how she's the blood of the dragon, they'd better do as she commands or she'll burn them all . . . as the dragon flies away? Hilarious.

... What? Dany spent plenty of time with the "ordinary" members of her khalasar after AGOT. Her whole khalasar at that point is full of women. Just because we don't see her interacting with them does not mean that there was no interaction.

Dany spent plenty of time interacting with Jorah, her bloodriders, and Irri/Jhiqui in the Red Waste. She spent NO time interacting with any ordinary Dothraki then, and certainly didn't interact with any non-slave Dothraki women when she was Drogo's Khaleesi. And why on earth would we assume she was interacting with Dothraki women offscreen when she was their Khaleesi, given that she certainly wasn't interacting with Meereenese women when she was their Queen? The Green Grace is literally the only Meereenese woman she interacts with in Meereen---good lord, she never even met her own mother-in-law or sisters-in-law. It's easy to overlook the incredible lack of non-slave Dothraki women around Dany during AGOT and assume all those interactions are taking place offscreen . . . but given the way Dany does the exact same thing among the Meereenese nobility, and the lack of female presence is expressly highlighted there, I don't see how such an assumption vis a vis the Dothraki makes any logical sense.

There will be plenty of time for Dany to interact with other Dothraki women (if that's what you're so concerned about) when the Crones proclaim her as the stallion who mounts the world, so she doesn't need to be dragged to Vaes Dothrak for this "fantastic opportunity", as you put it, to be explored.

There will also be plenty of time for Dany to interact with Dothraki women when she finds herself actually surrounded by them in the khalasar and can't just rely on male guards to keep them away. If the Crones declare her the Stallion That Mounts the World, and she somehow gains control of all the Dothraki, then she won't interact with free Dothraki women. We know this, because every single time she finds herself in a position of power in a particular society, she surrounds herself with men from that society, not women. The only women around her are either her slaves or her former slaves (which she now calls her servants).

Well, I am not sure where you get this from that she wanted all the glory and power but none of the responsibilities

She was Drogo's Khaleesi. That power came with a price. Just as bloodriders' power comes with the responsibility that they die with the Khal, a Khaleesi's power within a khalasar comes with the responsibility that she join the crones upon her Khal's death. She had power as the Khaleesi solely with the expectation that, upon Drogo's death, she would join the crones of Vaes Dothrak. The crones serve a central role in Dothraki society. Dany wanted to have the power of being a Khaleesi, but she didn't want the correlating responsibility of heading to Vaes Dothrak and joining the crones upon Drogo's death.

and I cannot for the life of me see how Dany being dragged to Vaes Dothrak the way you suggest (i.e. in a violent way) could be anything deemed "hilarious" unless you find wishing violence on a character hilarious?

You mean . . . the person who ordered other people burned alive and crucified might actually find herself in physical danger??? The woman who ordered the savage sack of multiple cities, causing untold pain, suffering, and death to thousands upon thousands of other people, all in her quest to become a queen, might actually find herself treated like an ordinary person while facing consequences that, in the past, only people other than Dany have suffered? She might find herself treated rather shabbily by the very people she considered herself superior to? You mean, she can't just expect to ignore a culture's sacred precepts and be lauded and rewarded for it by that very culture? Heavens, perish the thought! Physical danger is for women like Pia, Mirri Maz Duur, Sansa, Cersei, Falyse, Lollys, Asha, and other, lesser women. Certainly not for Daenerys Targaryen! No, she's special. She can rain down suffering on other people (intentionally or not), but the very idea that others might rain down suffering on her---not on those around her, but on Dany herself---well, to that I reply the old cliche: karma's a bitch.

No, they had no way of knowing Mirri was a maegi before they raped her. She didn't start doing blood magic in the Dothraki's presence until after the rapes.

Haggo, one of Drogo's blood riders, calls Mirri a maegi before she starts doing blood magic. So you're wrong -- they did know, and they still raped her. (AGOT: Daenerys VII)

Of course she'll be in physical danger. You assume she'll be in danger of being raped, and I disagree. Among the khalasar, I think she'll have to walk long distances without shoes, won't get good food, won't have a tent, won't have anyone to dress or care for her, and will be teased and taunted mercilessly by those around her en route to Vaes Dothrak. I think she'll be in far more physical danger from the crones than from Jhoqo, the guy who had the opportunity to rape and kill her in the past and didn't.

Dany lecturing the Dothraki about how she's the blood of the dragon, they'd better do as she commands or she'll burn them all . . . as the dragon flies away? Hilarious.

What do you think happens to women who are in physical danger in this world? What has Martin tried to show us over the whole series?

Jhaqo had no reason to rape her when he last saw her. Now she has crushed the slave trade and is the most powerful woman in the world. Additionally, as you have pointed out, she has refused to be a normal khaleesi and join the Crones at Vaes Dothrak, which Jhaqo will likely take as an insult. I therefore believe that Dany is in serious danger of being raped and find it horrifying that you find this funny.

Dany spent plenty of time interacting with Jorah, her bloodriders, and Irri/Jhiqui in the Red Waste. She spent NO time interacting with any ordinary Dothraki then, and certainly didn't interact with any non-slave Dothraki women when she was Drogo's Khaleesi. And why on earth would we assume she was interacting with Dothraki women offscreen when she was their Khaleesi, given that she certainly wasn't interacting with Meereenese women when she was their Queen? The Green Grace is literally the only Meereenese woman she interacts with in Meereen---good lord, she never even met her own mother-in-law or sisters-in-law. It's easy to overlook the incredible lack of non-slave Dothraki women around Dany during AGOT and assume all those interactions are taking place offscreen . . . but given the way Dany does the exact same thing among the Meereenese nobility, and the lack of female presence is expressly highlighted there, I don't see how such an assumption vis a vis the Dothraki makes any logical sense.

Firstly, Irri and Jhiqui are ordinary Dothraki. Secondly, we do not know how much time Dany spent with the other members of her khalasar; what we do know is that they remain incredibly loyal to her and even follow her across the "poison water".

There will also be plenty of time for Dany to interact with Dothraki women when she finds herself actually surrounded by them in the khalasar and can't just rely on male guards to keep them away. If the Crones declare her the Stallion That Mounts the World, and she somehow gains control of all the Dothraki, then she won't interact with free Dothraki women. We know this, because every single time she finds herself in a position of power in a particular society, she surrounds herself with men from that society, not women. The only women around her are either her slaves or her former slaves (which she now calls her servants).

She will interact with free Dothraki women... By, you know, interacting with the crones.

She was Drogo's Khaleesi. That power came with a price. Just as bloodriders' power comes with the responsibility that they die with the Khal, a Khaleesi's power within a khalasar comes with the responsibility that she join the crones upon her Khal's death. She had power as the Khaleesi solely with the expectation that, upon Drogo's death, she would join the crones of Vaes Dothrak. The crones serve a central role in Dothraki society. Dany wanted to have the power of being a Khaleesi, but she didn't want the correlating responsibility of heading to Vaes Dothrak and joining the crones upon Drogo's death.

As Dany did not actively choose to be a khaleesi, this argument is pointless. She did not choose to be a khaleesi, so when Drogo died she chose to take control of her life and not live out the rest of her days with the other crones.

You mean . . . the person who ordered other people burned alive and crucified might actually find herself in physical danger??? The woman who ordered the savage sack of multiple cities, causing untold pain, suffering, and death to thousands upon thousands of other people, all in her quest to become a queen, might actually find herself treated like an ordinary person while facing consequences that, in the past, only people other than Dany have suffered? She might find herself treated rather shabbily by the very people she considered herself superior to? You mean, she can't just expect to ignore a culture's sacred precepts and be lauded and rewarded for it by that very culture? Heavens, perish the thought! Physical danger is for women like Pia, Mirri Maz Duur, Sansa, Cersei, Falyse, Lollys, Asha, and other, lesser women. Certainly not for Daenerys Targaryen! No, she's special. She can rain down suffering on other people (intentionally or not), but the very idea that others might rain down suffering on her---not on those around her, but on Dany herself---well, to that I reply the old cliche: karma's a bitch.

Daenerys has been in physical danger her whole life. To ignore this is laughable.

I found this post deeply troubling. I will never understand how you can be so passionate about wanting Dany to suffer physical abuse. You say it's because she's caused violence in the past... but isn't that why you're against Dany's punishments in the first place? Because they're vengeance and retribution, not justice? If you want Dany to suffer for inflicting suffering, then aren't you in fact justifying her actions?

Pretty sure Drogon rips off his arms, or legs so he cannot ride and is no Khal, cauterizes the wound so he doesn't die, but suffers as a defeated Khal and she takes his khalasar.. They become part or Dany's unstoppable army with they Unsullied Infantry, Dorthraki Calvary, Greyjoy Navy, and Dragons.

I don't really want this to happen, but see this as how Esseros is pacified before the Westeros invasion...

FFS people. all this drama about Dany getting raped. It's not going to happen. She has a towering dragon with her. Literally right with her when Jhoqo comes upon her. If a giant fire breathing dragon at your side, who views you as it's mother, won't deter a would-be rapist, then nothing will. She isn't going to have a Khalasar train run on her in any reasonable scenario so chill out.

FFS people. all this drama about Dany getting raped. It's not going to happen. She has a towering dragon with her. Literally right with her when Jhoqo comes upon her. If a giant fire breathing dragon at your side, who views you as it's mother, won't deter a would-be rapist, then nothing will. She isn't going to have a Khalasar train run on her in any reasonable scenario so chill out.

I agree, I don't think Drogon would leave his mother with her enemies. He may have rebelled against her during ADWD, but she's still his mother, and he still went all the way to Meereen just to rescue her. He won't leave her in danger, no matter how angry he is with her.

Absolutely agreed.

Chances are all Jhaqo will do is scream in pain as he is burned to death by dragonfire, along with all his Bloodriders. His Khalasar will then bend the knee (metaphorically perhaps) to Daenerys, who will take them to Meereen to crush her enemies there.

I would be astounded if Dany isn't in Westeros by the end of The Winds of Winter. My guess is we'll have a major battle in Meereen in the first third of the book, wrapping up pretty much all of the Essos storylines, and then she as well as anyone else who survives ( Tyrion definitely, everyone else is a tossup) will head straight for Westeros and probably arrive sometime in the second half of the book. Having her somehow captured by Jhaqo's Kalasar would unnecessarily delay an event that was originally planned for A Feast for Crows, prior to the removal of the 5-year gap of course.

I didn't even get a sense that Drogon was mad at her. I thought he was growing up, enjoying a free range, feeding and growing, like dragons are wont to do. Though Rheagal and Viserion might be mad at her, since she's got them locked up alone in a basement or something, with a bunch of assholes either trying to capture or kill them.

Dany will kill Jhaqo and Mago by Drogon's fire; I can see her say dracarys and becoming more and more like Aerys. Then, the khalasar will follow her to Meereen. It would be quite fascinating. A khalasar from the land, the iron born from the sea and the unsullied from the city all attacking the Yunkish, and the second sons within their army. Sadly, it wouldn't help to make Dany realize that she can't save everyone from anything, and therefore enhancing her delusions!

Mummer: I think you're right, but I also think it's interesting that you say they'll respect dragons because they respect the strong. Interesting because it highlights a weakness of Dany's story so far, IMO.

They do respect the strong, but they respect physical strength, not magical strength (see their reaction to Mirri). Dragons are magical. The Dothraki respect the strength of men on horseback with weapons, not so much magic. Maybe the one exception to this that we see is the dosh khaleen...but their power is limited to the particular place of Vaes Dothrak. There are no magical crones leading khalasars across the Dothraki sea.

Which is why it sort of surprised me that any Dothraki would willingly follow Dany in the first place, at the end of AGoT. I can see them being scared of her magic, but not *wanting* to follow her for it. Maybe unwillingly follow her out of fear and then run away from her as a scary "maegi," but willingly follow her? I didn't quite buy it. Especially since none of the Dothraki were given a POV or portrayed as 3-dimensional.

Archived