What will Khal Jhaqo do with Daenerys?

Lady Hodor

Dragons go wherever the hell they want, its not that hes running, its that he doesn't care. We know he always goes back to 'new' Dragonstone every evening at dusk. In the scene before the chapter ends, THE SUN IS SETTING. Hes probably going to finish eating and fly off.

the dragons know who their mother is

the dragons know who their mother is

Thats why he shoots fire at her right? Knowing/caring two different things.

Like taming any wild animal, Dany may have to prove herself to Drogon by defeating or fighting against something he himself fears or puts him in danger.

Raised a quite a few "masked cats" from kits, once they get to a mature age they become unruly and feral. They recognize me and will approach me, but I still have to be very careful around some that are still insecure. After a bad experience with the dogs and witnessing my intervention, they are much more trusting and will expose their belly and visit from time to time for affection.

Drogon doesn't have a real Dragon mother to follow by example, so he may be confused and insecure. Which would explain his unruly/feral actions.

Thats why he shoots fire at her right? Knowing/caring two different things.

Like taming any wild animal, Dany may have to prove herself to Drogon by defeating or fighting against something he himself fears or puts him in danger.

dragons don't care about danger, didn't you read the chapter where she is riding Drogon?

dragons don't care about danger, didn't you read the chapter where she is riding Drogon?

If that is the case then she will have to find some other way to prove herself to him.

Yes, and if I recall its not like he bent over and let her jump on. She dodges his fire, and somehow makes it onto his back. That only happened once didn't it? Has she ridden him since he dropped her off at 'new' Dragonstone? Why is she trekking when she could be riding him?

Its been almost a year since I read DANCE and haven't gotten to the FEASTDANCE Megabook reread, but I think I remember only one dragon ride.

If that is the case then she will have to find some other way to prove herself to him.

Yes, and if I recall its not like he bent over and let her jump on.

Um, he actually did exactly that - lowered his head and let her get on him. She rides a lot. We have only two rides described but in ADWD there are other rides referred to I believe. She doesnt merely duck the fire in the pit, he could have roasted her easily. He remembers her voice and the whip and obeys her despite his confusion and fear. She calls him in ADWD as she is walking along the creek and he comes to her.

She dodges his fire, and somehow makes it onto his back. That only happened once didn't it? Has she ridden him since he dropped her off at 'new' Dragonstone? Why is she trekking when she could be riding him?

He isnt easy to steer where he doesnt want to go and it is stated that he didnt seem to want to go back to Meereen.

Its been almost a year since I read DANCE and haven't gotten to the FEASTDANCE Megabook reread, but I think I remember only one dragon ride.

Time for a reread. There's a lot there.

Time for a reread. There's a lot there.

Alright, so there are a few flights, his first instinct is to attack where she whips and such, luckily the chapters are towards the end and easy to find. Although he is still quite feral and untamed and does what he wishes to do. If he listened to Dany, she would be back in Meereen. I still support the idea that Drogon will instinctually fly back to 'new' Dragonstone at dusk like he always does, leaving Dany there to soil herself. This outcome appeals to me as it isn't nearly convenient as,

"Oh one of my nemeses has conveniently appeared when I am with my Dragon, time to pay the piper Jhaqo."

To easy and convenient, I doubt that scenario will come to pass.

Alright, so there are a few flights, his first instinct is to attack where she whips and such, luckily the chapters are towards the end and easy to find. Although he is still quite feral and untamed and does what he wishes to do. If he listened to Dany, she would be back in Meereen. I still support the idea that Drogon will instinctually fly back to 'new' Dragonstone at dusk like he always does, leaving Dany there to soil herself. This outcome appeals to me as it isn't nearly convenient as,

"Oh one of my nemeses has conveniently appeared when I am with my Dragon, time to pay the piper Jhaqo."

I think there is a middle road here. Dany being captured by Jhaqo with no hope of escape in the near future would make it that much harder for her to ever get to Westeros, and with only 2 more books left we can't have too many more delays if we want her to arrive before the final chapter of A Dream of Spring. It'd come across as a reverse Deus Ex Machina (sometimes called a Diabolus ex Machina) to many readers since it would render Drogon's presence in the scene completely meaningless.

Now of course roasting Jhaqo is simple, leading a khalasar the size of Jhaqo's is more complicated. This could have lots of implications going forward as she moves forwards. She could have threats to her life emerge from within the khalasar (Jhaqo's bloodriders at the very least) and the fact she leads a khalasar might make other potential allies think twice about siding with her.

I think the last chapter very much describes Dany bonding with Drogon and "taming" him. It´s still a process of course and making him go back to Meereen where he knows danger awaits is the last step. But the last scene where she stands beside her (sitting?) dragon is a very powerfull image. GRRM spend a whole book throwing obstacle after obstacle at Dany and turning everything she does into a failure. I think the last chapter is there to show that period is over and Dany has reached her bottom. She is almost giving up when she sees Drogon flying above. It´s a decisive moment. Either she really gives up and dies in the middle of nowhere, or finds her inner strength and tries to rise up again. When she calls him it´s like a sign she is not ready to give up yet and the dragon evidently understands and from that moment on becomes truly hers.

Dany doesn't really tame Drogon until after her (potential) miscarriage, when she sees the Dothraki rider. Then she realises that she doesn't need to go back to Meereen -- "to go forward, I must go back". She knows that she must return to the Dothraki before she can go forward to Meereen. Drogon then returns to her after she realises this, and that's when they "bond" with blood and fire. She no longer wishes to return to Meereen, so she doesn't attempt to make Drogon go there.

We know that she will be heading to Vaes Dothrak where the Crones will bow down to her, courtesy of the House of the Undying. Personally I'd prefer that to be over as soon as possible, and the quickest way I can think of is if Drogon remains with Daenerys. Otherwise we'll have another whole novel of Dany in Essos...

Dany doesn't really tame Drogon until after her (potential) miscarriage, when she sees the Dothraki rider. Then she realises that she doesn't need to go back to Meereen -- "to go forward, I must go back". She knows that she must return to the Dothraki before she can go forward to Meereen. Drogon then returns to her after she realises this, and that's when they "bond" with blood and fire. She no longer wishes to return to Meereen, so she doesn't attempt to make Drogon go there.

We know that she will be heading to Vaes Dothrak where the Crones will bow down to her, courtesy of the House of the Undying. Personally I'd prefer that to be over as soon as possible, and the quickest way I can think of is if Drogon remains with Daenerys. Otherwise we'll have another whole novel of Dany in Essos...

Seeing that you consider Dany going to Vaes Dothrak a done deal I think I have to re-read that chapter... I mean, I think you're much more likely to be right about this than I am. I really didn't consider it a real possibility... :eek:

Seeing that you consider Dany going to Vaes Dothrak a done deal I think I have to re-read that chapter... I mean, I think you're much more likely to be right about this than I am. I really didn't consider it a real possibility... :eek:

I could be wrong. But I believe she'll head there due to two reasons:

In Tyrion I, TWOW, Tyrion and Brown Ben Plumm both state their belief that Dany will return to fight the Yunkai. They have no real reason to believe this as far as I can see, yet Martin felt the need to include it. Because of this, I doubt it will happen.

This means that Dany will be facing a khalasar, but she won't be heading to Meereen... That leaves one possible location: Vaes Dothrak. We know she's heading there at some point, and that she'll receive the respect of the Crones ("beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones emerged naked from a lake, their heads bowed" - paraphrasing), so this would be the best opportunity if we want to see Daenerys leaving Essos as soon as possible.

No idea which way it will turn out but I can speculate.

1)Drogon could fly off... But I don't think he will since it's a new scenario when he is now in the field with Danny and not on his own. He does seem to have drawn closer to Danny now and it's possible he could stay. It would be bad for Danny if he does fly off.

2)Danny mounts Drogon and Jhaqo's horse freaks and he falls off. Maybe this wins Danny the khalasar.? A little contrived though.

3)I don't know how much fire Drogon can muster and for how long. Can he take down the main force of the Dothraki with a few breaths? Drogon can be hurt by spears and arakhs if the horses are brave enough to fan out and circle him. Danny can be hurt quite easily as well. So I don't think a big fight will happen.

It would seem she needs to get to Vaes Dothrak somehow...

irdk. But I'm looking forward to being surprised by GRRM as usual. I love scenes when something completely unexpected happens.

Well if it goes violent, then Dany best hope Drogon burns Jhaqo fast.

Might be a dragon, but it's not a full grown beast like in the old days, and even back then the dragons were more of a terror and siege weapon. In the biggest dragon massacre they burned 4.000 soldiers. They were quite handy when it came to flushing out lords hiding in their Castles though.

If Jhaqo has 10-20.000 soldiers behind him and they decide to kill, I can't see Drogon living very long in the next book.

Her best bet is to have them in awe and take her back as their leader.

I could be wrong. But I believe she'll head there due to two reasons:

In Tyrion I, TWOW, Tyrion and Brown Ben Plumm both state their belief that Dany will return to fight the Yunkai. They have no real reason to believe this as far as I can see, yet Martin felt the need to include it. Because of this, I doubt it will happen.

This means that Dany will be facing a khalasar, but she won't be heading to Meereen... That leaves one possible location: Vaes Dothrak. We know she's heading there at some point, and that she'll receive the respect of the Crones ("beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones emerged naked from a lake, their heads bowed" - paraphrasing), so this would be the best opportunity if we want to see Daenerys leaving Essos as soon as possible.

Yes, when you put it that way I actually see it's what makes the most sense. Cheers.

I wouldn't be terribly shocked if everything in Meereen is resolved before Daenerys returns. That would actually solve the problem of Tyrion engendering himself to her and Barristan Selmy by having him be the mastermind behind the victory of her forces. I can even imagine a scenario wherein he manages to take control of one of the dragons while Euron is able to flee with the other.

I hope she's not going back to Vaes Dothrak. The khalasar is behind her, unless they're all relocating to Westeros.

To me they appear an obvious plot device to enforce whatever peace she makes in Slaver's Bay.

I think this will be another typical Dany sequence of events:

1. Damsel in distress saved by a dragon (first when they hatched, then when she used them to "purchase" the Unsullied)

2. Does something awesome (in this case roasting Khal Jaqho and gaining control of his armies)

3. Wins a pretty one-sided battle (at Meereen)

4. 19 other POV's of doing nothing but fondling her handmaids and watching the glory of her victorious battle fade away

Archived