Blackwater Roars

Westeros

A huge, amazing episode deserves a huge, amazing response, and “Blackwater” seems to have gotten it. The title went on to Twitter’s trend list, and tweets were fast and furious. Writer George R.R. Martin and director Neil Marshal have, based on early responses, turned in the single most well-regarded episode of the series to date. A lot of it has to do with the spectacle, no doubt…. but a good deal has to do with the skillful, cinematic direction and the writing that brought some of the characters to life in a way no one else seems to quite be able to manage.Our full coverage of the episode will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon or early evening (that’s US hours), but until then make sure to visit the forum, read the responses from fellow fans and, hey, even sign up for the forum and wade into the discussion youself!

Visit the Site!

Unlike much of those season, I had few complaints about this episode. It was still not a mirror of the book, but it mostly stuck to the spirit of the Blackwater chapter in "A Clash...". My biggest complaint is that the ommission of the giant chain Tyrion had built -- used to trap Stannis's fleet within the burning Blackwater Rush -- diminished the brilliance of Tyrion's steategy in defending Kings Landing. Also, the omission of Tyrion's wildling mountain clans in the Kingswood, killing Stannis' advance scouts and thus allowing the combined Lannister/Tyrell forces to route Stannis' forces from the rear. Tywin may have been hailed as the 'savior' of Kings Landing, but it wouldn't have been possible within Tyrion's brilliant defense of the city. Oh, and Tyrion's nose seemed to still be very much part of his face at the end of the scene.

I cannot be more excited for the excellent artistry of this episode. I don't recall witnessing such spectacular sound editing since Band of Brothers. The editing in general was superb. The sense of tension never let up as the episode transitioned from indoors to outdoors scenes. Spectacular writing (unbelievable, GRRM!) and as spectacular acting. Congratulations, HBO.

Unlike much of those season, I had few complaints about this episode. It was still not a mirror of the book, but it mostly stuck to the spirit of the Blackwater chapter in "A Clash...". My biggest complaint is that the ommission of the giant chain Tyrion had built -- used to trap Stannis's fleet within the burning Blackwater Rush -- diminished the brilliance of Tyrion's steategy in defending Kings Landing. Also, the omission of Tyrion's wildling mountain clans in the Kingswood, killing Stannis' advance scouts and thus allowing the combined Lannister/Tyrell forces to route Stannis' forces from the rear. Tywin may have been hailed as the 'savior' of Kings Landing, but it wouldn't have been possible within Tyrion's brilliant defense of the city. Oh, and Tyrion's nose seemed to still be very much part of his face at the end of the scene.

You might want to take your grievances up with the Fat Man, Pretender, seeing as how he wrote the episode. Of course, I'm sure he'd have liked all those things in it, too, but due to a knowledge that budgetary constraints do in fact exist in the real world, I'm sure he approves of changes: Cuz like I said, he wrote it. So, why spend so much time upset about it? Enjoy it.

I am so upset I don't have HD and had/have to watch this is in terrible quality hooked up to TV from my laptop. Grrr. Nonetheless, this episode was excellent and like someone above said, it gives hope this show just may make it the whole way to its proper end.

Well that was the best possible start to my week. I knew that this episode was going to be good, but I had no idea that it was going to be the best hour of TV in existence. Thanks again George, you wrote my favourite books and the best episode of their adaptation. You never cease to amaze me.

Now go back to writing Winds... :devil:

Not really surprising people decide to praise the episode GRRM wrote himself. Either way it was pretty damn great.

If it sucked most people would be saying so, the fact that GRRM wrote the episode only made our expectations higher. The episode was insanely awesome and deserves all the praise it gets.

I was initially a bit unhappy about the missing elements from the books, but it was excellent overall. Best episode to date. In fact, it's the best episode of any TV series I've seen. I never thought they could do such a battle so well on such a small budget.

The response is nothing compared to what will happen next season, though, hehe.

A huge, amazing episode deserves a huge, amazing response, and “Blackwater” seems to have gotten it. The title went on to Twitter’s trend list, and tweets were fast and furious. Writer George R.R. Martin and director Neil Marshal have, based on early responses, turned in the single most well-regarded episode of the series to date.

A little perspective here.

We all know this is Geroge's baby and Neil Marshal is an excellent director...

But,.... this whole episode would not have happened if were not for the enablers David Benioff and D. B. Weiss.

Seen a lot of dissatisfaction about 'HBO' handling this season but it was Benioff and Weiss who persuaded HBO to give them the resources to do this episode right.

In fact even ole HBO should be given a pat on the back because Benioff and Weiss have said HBO gave em that extra 15% without questioning producers for a guarantee.

The only shame of it, was Sandor's lack of cynical and intimidating laughter in everyone's face, which is out of GRRMs control because he's been set up this way. Sandor's scene with Bronn could have been the chance for Sandor to laugh in the face of all the lannister soldiers, making his transformation at the end to running away from the fire that much more telling. Still, like I say GRRM's hands were tied with Sandor's characterisation because he couldn;t change Sandor's character in the blink of an episode.

I figured they wouldn't disfigure Tyrion too much, a nice fat scar down the face, but nose intact. Makes for much easier make up sessions each morning before shooting.

Brilliant job with the siege. Interesting decision to have Stannis leading the charge, but played for screen better that way otherwise Stannis would have been too passive in the show.

I think this'll be my first 9/10 for the season. There's a lot to pack into the last show, which I am a little worried about. If only it was a 2 hour season finale.

This episode was quite impressive. I was really surprised to see that they did such a large battle scene with the fleet burning, the clash at the gate. I really didn't expect that they would go into the battle in so much detail. I remember watching Rome and the first season of GoT where the battle of Whispering Woods and Battle of the Trident were both ommitted. Its great to see that the battle was done in such detail. Although i realise its not akin to the book, its much better than any other TV can claim to have put into a TV show. Im really impressed.

There is the book purist speaking. Tell us, how should they have handled all this minute (and for the bigger story absolutely irrelevant) detail in just under an hour of screentime? This is TV. They have to tell a story which the casual (as casual as you can get with GoT) viewer can follow and they have to focus on the characters and how they experience the events in the story.

Oh, the series will go downhill now if Tyrion is allowed to keep his nose...

This episode was great, I was a bit sad about some changes in the previous episodes but this one makes up for everything (to me, at least). Of course there were some differences, but it still was awesome. And the ending... got goosebumps.

Don't watch it, then. The battle was consistent in itself, and included all the events that have further effect on the story.

I like how Stannis was finally a badass in the series too.

I have had a love for Neill Marshall ever since Dog Soldiers but this has made me want him and Martin to combine into a super team making every GoT episode that might have even a modicum of violence in it.

Archived