Prometheus [SPOILERS]

Harrad

Well, I think you can write away the fact she could move around on the space drugs, which I've sene mentioned on a couple sites. I don't know much about drugs(ha) however.

The hazmat team disappearance is a huge fucking hole though, no matter how much I want to defend the film. It really feels like they cut a long scene there.

Well, I think you can write away the fact she could move around on the space drugs, which I've sene mentioned on a couple sites. I don't know much about drugs(ha) however.

The hazmat team disappearance is a huge fucking hole though, no matter how much I want to defend the film. It really feels like they cut a long scene there.

Isn't one of the people in the hazmat team the doctor? You know, the same doctor that goes with them into the ship the very next scene? That scene makes no sense in any context. End. And Shaw not caring about the horrifying thing she just ripped out of herself is a little...strange. Just saying.

edit: But seriously. Theory?

And Shaw not caring about the horrifying thing she just ripped out of herself is a little...strange. Just saying.

Yeah, I couldn't believe someone wouldn't make sure to thorougly destroy the squid-baby...as in total incineration...but of course we needed it to somehow grow abnormally quickly despite being poisoned so it could take out space-Moby later.

Eh, doesn't shee freeze the fuck out of the squid thing?

She just decontaminates it with a spray thing. I swear, with all the contamination scares you'd think this would be like The Thing, except in that movie everyone's actually intelligent.

I loved it. Gorgeous movie of course and I absolutely adored the homage to 2001 that was the film's first 10 or so minutes.

Saw it in 3d and I was shocked that the Lawrence of Arabia that David was watching in the movie was also actually 3D. Has that movie been done in 3D before or did they 3Derize just that one scene for Prometheus?

I loved it. Gorgeous movie of course and I absolutely adored the homage to 2001 that was the film's first 10 or so minutes.

Saw it in 3d and I was shocked that the Lawrence of Arabia that David was watching in the movie was also actually 3D. Has that movie been done in 3D before or did they 3Derize just that one scene for Prometheus?

Are you kidding?

She just decontaminates it with a spray thing. I swear, with all the contamination scares you'd think this would be like The Thing, except in that movie everyone's actually intelligent.

Yeah, I thought it was sprayed with some kind of toxic compound to kill it...I mean, she was trying to decontaminate the plot convenience pod...oh my, I mean, medical pod, and that thing was the contamination...however, apparently bactine or the magic spray they use to revive crippled footballers isn't enough to kill a squid-baby.

You know, honestly, if I had just birthed a squid, I probably wouldn't want to think about it too much either; especially when I immediately find out that a dead man has been revive and is kicking around with some odd Jesus symbolism.

The bad: Guy Pearce. Seriously, just use an old guy. Because, as amazing as the effects in Prometheus were as a whole, he still looked like a cross between Lambert in Highlander 2 and Dan Aykroyd in Nothing But Trouble. In short, silly.

We now have an explanation for this. Originally David's conversation with Weyland in his dreams would have been shown, and in this dream-reality Weyland would have appeared to be about 40 permanently (apparently on a boat or beach with beautiful women around). This required a young-ish actor to be made up to be older. However, by the time the scene was cut Pearce had been cast for some time, so they just stuck with him.

I suspect they just post-processed that scene for Prometheus.

We now have an explanation for this. Originally David's conversation with Weyland in his dreams would have been shown, and in this dream-reality Weyland would have appeared to be about 40 permanently (apparently on a boat or beach with beautiful women around). This required a young-ish actor to be made up to be older. However, by the time the scene was cut Pearce had been cast for some time, so they just stuck with him.

Now, for the record. I'm no Ridley Scott. But I have watched a movie once or twice where they used two different actors. It's crazy, but it happened.

Also, they could have simply used better FX people when they realized that the aging up make up was way south of horrendous.

Maybe he was trying to go for the old David Bowman look. It was Ridley Scott's homage to the director he most wishes he was Stanley Kubrick.

I just saw it. Honestly, despite its flaws, I liked it. It was a nod towards some of the elements suggested in the original Alien, including that the xenomorph is actually the end stage of some complex genetic (probably virus) based bioweapon. I also really liked the take on the old sci-fi idea that Aliens are responsible for the evolution of human life in which the creating race is not only not benevolent seeding inteligent life thorughout the galaxy, but doing so for its own agenda, and might decide to unmake its creation. Maybe humanity didn't evolve in quite the way they intended, maybe there were competing groups of Aliens, one of which felt the need to eliminate the human race (possible as the engineer species appears to largely be extinct that there was a conflict that destroyed the group that would have supported experimantations such as what they had done on earth). The holes are there but there inteligent ways to file those empty spaces. This film rides the fine line between where ambigouity becomes an excuse to cover up sloppy writing (such as the ending to the Mass Effect series) and a means to force the audience to engage with the story and ask questions that they might not otherwise have with more definiative writing. As this is supposedly the first of several films it has much more leeway to leave questions unanswered than the final installment would (I'm looking at you again, Mass Effect).

As for the odd nature of the crew, this was not in reality a scientific team, it was a corporate mission funded and staff by the combination of a crazy old guy taking a long-shot to get out of death and his unstable ambitous daughter. The key scientists were a pair that had turned their theory regarding humananity's origins into a belief. Their quest to get find our makers more resembles a religious pilgramiage rather than a scientific endevour. They clearly were willing to jump on the offer of funding rather than investigate further what they were getting themselves into They were also anthropologists or a related discpline, which is fine, but not the sort of back-ground you would chose to head up the science team for a first contact mission. The rest of the crew seem to be more selected for their willingness to undertake the crazy ass mission rather than for their qualificiations. Hell, its clear most of the crew didn't even know what they were going out there for. For most of them it was probably the prospect of a massive pay-check and nothing more. So that they hadn't developed first contact protocols or a systematic and cautious approach to investigating the planet actually is actually in part comprehendable. Doesn't explain all the stupid decisions made by the crew but it puts it in context.

Not a perfect film Not everything I was hoping it would be. But also not one I view nearly as badly as a lot of people are.

Archived