Favorite/Least favorite major house of Westeros and why

StannisBamfatheon

Favorite Starks honorable in a world where honor by all the players as being stupid.

after the Starks is the Royces and Manderlys and the Lannisters because they are real plotting and scheming .

Neutral ; Tyrell , Martell ,Arryn ,Baratheon .

Least ; Greyjoy Nobody in that family has the sense god gave a goose .Targaryen I hate people who believes they have the right to do what they do .

Boltons and Freys don't merit a mention .Bottom feeders .

Favourite:

House Tyrell:

The Tyrells know how to use family, public opinion and political intrigue to the maximum extent. They err on the side of caution and loyalty (Mace backing Renly being the exception), and they understand how best to utilize their own strength to serve their allies but risk little damage (Redwyne choosing to besiege Storm's End with his host, rather than leaving a lean force to besiege it and marching his men to aid in the Battle of the Trident, Mace Tyrell only committing his troops to battle when the Lannisters arrive...). They understand how to play the game (Olenna removing Joffrey and [correctly] guessing that Tywin would offer Tommen's hand to keep the Great Western Alliance intact). They understand public opinion and how to use it to their advantage (cutting off the food supply to King's Landing, causing resentment in the city, then saving it and carting up food to win public support).

They're also just general bad asses. Garlan strikes me as one of the best swordsmen in Westeros, but he lacks the arrogance of other people with similar levels of skill (he treats Tyrion as a peer, rather than with condescension).

Least favourite:

House Arryn:

They have yet to do anything of note in the current books. "High as honour" is a bit pretentious too.

Favourites Martells and current Starks

I like House Martell a lot they bring a different flavour to things I love Arianne and I also loved Quentyn's falied journey. not every prince is perfect and good looking an it was good to see him fail and for it all to go wrong to often the prince gets his girl and they ride off into the sunset. I also love conquering Nymeria more and more the more I hear of her. Tyene and Sarella also very much interest me, and I liked that once again the warrior woman Obara much like Brienne wasn't some beautiful waif but something more realistic.

I also really enjoy reading about the current Starks. I kind of like that they failed, they didn't come from a KL world so it was realistic it'd all blow up in their faces. I also enjoyed how despite all growing up together happily it wasn't some great hippy love in, they were all different and had different types of bonds with each other, I thought it was a very realistically portrayed family dynamic. None of them were interchangeable they all had their different characters and even the Starks I didn't enjoy as much as others I preferred to most other characters around them.

Maybe this doesn't quite count as they aren't in the current series but I really don't like the past Starks. I felt they were all just carbon copes of each other all badass warrior types but not much else going on to give any contrast. The current bunch seem more distinct from each other, the past Starks seem very cookie cutter compared to other house who had all kinds of good and bad stock.

Favourite: Stark.

I'm a Stark loyalist, just the way I've interrupted the books, they to me seem the "Good Guys". Before I get the "No body is good or bad" mob on me, I think its GRRM's greatest achievement with these books that he has split the fanbase so completely & made nearly everyone pick a side/house to route for.

Least: Tyrell.

None of them are likable, saying that Natalie Dormer is very likable. Also dislike the Arryn's & the Vale in general.

I'll get it started.

Favorite: House Stark

The obvious choice but the right one. Seemingly they are the most noble, genuine, true to each other, and least interested in playing "the game of thrones." In the words of DB Weiss they are the family that kind of ties the whole story together, and that you want them to succeed despite their many sufferings. Also the Starks and the Kings of Winter have a long history of being total badasses, Bran the builder, Ned during Robert's Rebellion, Robb Stark repeatedly getting the better of Tywin Lannister, they are proven warriors. Lastly the aesthetics of the house are just super cool, the direwolf sigil, their words "winter is coming" being the only house motto I can think of that isn't a boast, the worship of the old gods, there's just alot to like about House Stark.

Least Favorite: House Greyjoy/ironborn

They are imho the great cowards of Westeros. With the exception of maybe Theon saving Bran and Jeyne Pool I can't think of a single instance of a Greyjoy performing a selfless act. They fashion themselves great stewards of the sea and master pirates yet choose to pillage the North for pinecones then go south to Lannisport or elsewhere where presumably better plunder awaits. They only attack the North once Robb has departed with virtually the entirety of the regions military power. They never give pitched battle only "reaving" until a true fighting force other than fishermen show up to shoo them away. I just think they have a tremendously overblown sense of self worth and have never done anything to help Westeros at large.

I agree with everything you've said here. Another thing I like about the Starks is that despite having similar morals, they all have varying and interesting personalities.

With some of the other houses, I tend to find the members to be too similar to one another. Except maybe the Lannisters and Baretheons, but they don't particularly share the same morals.

Oh and not to mention the warging! How can anyone not like wargs?

Also, I tend to like the houses that have strong connections to mythical creatures e.g starks, targaryens.

I'll get it started.

Favorite: House Stark

The obvious choice but the right one. Seemingly they are the most noble, genuine, true to each other, and least interested in playing "the game of thrones." In the words of DB Weiss they are the family that kind of ties the whole story together, and that you want them to succeed despite their many sufferings. Also the Starks and the Kings of Winter have a long history of being total badasses, Bran the builder, Ned during Robert's Rebellion, Robb Stark repeatedly getting the better of Tywin Lannister, they are proven warriors. Lastly the aesthetics of the house are just super cool, the direwolf sigil, their words "winter is coming" being the only house motto I can think of that isn't a boast, the worship of the old gods, there's just alot to like about House Stark.

Least Favorite: House Greyjoy/ironborn

They are imho the great cowards of Westeros. With the exception of maybe Theon saving Bran and Jeyne Pool I can't think of a single instance of a Greyjoy performing a selfless act. They fashion themselves great stewards of the sea and master pirates yet choose to pillage the North for pinecones then go south to Lannisport or elsewhere where presumably better plunder awaits. They only attack the North once Robb has departed with virtually the entirety of the regions military power. They never give pitched battle only "reaving" until a true fighting force other than fishermen show up to shoo them away. I just think they have a tremendously overblown sense of self worth and have never done anything to help Westeros at large.

:agree: but could easily replace the Greyjoys with the Lannisters. I will not give the Frey's the honor of calling them a major house or else they would take that "honor"

Archived