Bourbon

Reposado

A crueller man than me would say, "Bourbon, isn't that a raw material in the making of Scotch?"

:leaving:

i am enlightened enough to hold each of these beverages in high esteem. they are not to be compared though. despite the process of making them i find them to be entirely different beverages.

i am enlightened enough to hold each of these beverages in high esteem. they are not to be compared though. despite the process of making them i find them to be entirely different beverages.

What he said. I enjoy both bourbon and scotch. Totally different

animals.

Louix XIV. The finest Bourbon there ever was. *firm nod.

That is not a Bourbon, but rather a cognac which means it is made with fruit instead of grain. Remy puts this out from the Champagne region of France. It is aged in centuries old casks. It is not the top of their line, as that would be Louis XIII.

A good friend of mine owned one of the best wine bars in Dallas years ago, and one night he was short a bartender. I had absolutely no interest in working for him, but he was in a bind as it was one of the busiest nights of the week, and he stood to lose around $8k in sales if he didn't get someone to help him immediately. I told him that I would do it, but to make sure that he never hit me up like that again, I wanted a bottle of Loius XIII in return.

After the hellish night at the bar came to a close, we sat counting out the register, I popped open my $1,800.00 bottle, and proceeded to pour a glass of Louis XIII and coke. This of course set my friend's head on fire. The rant against it was an epic one for the ages. I truly believe that if I would have slapped his mother, he wouldn't have been as offended.

After his tirade ended, he sat there looking at me, and I calmly poured another glass, mixed it with coke, shoved it across the bar, and asked him if he had ever tried it. He went on another short outburst and said of course he hadn't. I picked up my glass, and put it back and told him it was delicious. He poured his down, and with astonished eyes agreed with me.

We sat there that night and finished the entire bottle.... mixed with coca cola.

That is not a Bourbon, but rather a cognac which means it is made with fruit instead of grain

Actually it isn't. No one makes a cognac called Louis XIV. The Sun King was a scion of the House of Bourbon. You have failed at history, sarcasm, and knowledge of fine liquor. Go sit in the corner and think about the choices that have led you to this sad end.

awesome. it sounds like makers mark is what im looking for, with eventual plans to acquire some of the others brought up. thanks.

as for scotch, i just don't have the time to develop more than a superficial knowledge of it. that time/energy will always be devoted to tequila. so yeah,

but i do want to not have nights where i drink only jamesons, which just happened a few times. and yeah, as long as i'm drinking bourbon now, it'd be nice to have a few slightly better bourbons that i am familiar with.

as for scotch, i just don't have the time to develop more than a superficial knowledge of it. that time/energy will always be devoted to tequila. so yeah,
There are a number of boarders here who are scotch enthusiasts and would be more than willing to point you in a helpful direction.

There are a number of boarders here who are scotch enthusiasts and would be more than willing to point you in a helpful direction.

yeahh but like socrates said, it's a big commitment, when what i want is a diversification of drinking habits to cover for the scant offerings of bars that are otherwise appealing

Scotch is just way too expensive to really get into on an average salary. A really really good bourbon can be had for under $100. You're only cracking into the upper-middle-class scotch at that range.

There are already really nice whiskies for a lot less. And a lot of variation of styles within that price range as well.

Scotch is just way too expensive to really get into on an average salary. A really really good bourbon can be had for under $100. You're only cracking into the upper-middle-class scotch at that range.

i have five bottles of scotch on my shelf. not a one is over $60.00 and they are all good. i am not agreeing with you at all.

What's the easiest to drink in order, of vodka bourbon scotch and tequila? Assume one were to spend 60$ or so for each. I've had tequila, I hated it, and vodka is what I normally drink.

What's the easiest to drink in order, of vodka bourbon scotch and tequila? Assume one were to spend 60$ or so for each. I've had tequila, I hated it, and vodka is what I normally drink.

as a seasoned drinker (whatever that means) vodka is easy. tequila takes a little more 'sophistication' and finally into whiskeys. scotch and bourbon are more interesting, nuanced and full of flavour than the prior two. and i say that having had about everything the vodka world has to offer and many many tequilas.

it is not to say tequila is not good. i have a bottle of baluarte reposado some friends got me in mexico that is the best tequila i have ever had.

i have five bottles of scotch on my shelf. not a one is over $60.00 and they are all good. i am not agreeing with you at all.

I have numerous bottles as well, and like it better than bourbon. I think you can agree that $60 gets you way closer to a "best there is" bourbon than it does scotch.

I have numerous bottles as well, and like it better than bourbon. I think you can agree that $60 gets you way closer to a "best there is" bourbon than it does scotch.

agreed. you can really stretch the quality of bourbon for under $100.

$100 will get you into a very high level of scotch, but hardly the best.

for me i do not compare them on what they cost. they are each a spirit of their own. i enjoy them on their own. sometimes a glass of blantons is what i need. sometimes it is the powerful and unapologetic glengarclas 15. sometimes i am in for a glenmorangie quinta ruban other times the russel reserve rye. they are not all the same. they are not all of the same price. but they are all wonderful at the right times.

I think you'd be wasting your time spending $60 on anything if what you are looking for is easy drinking. Try a few glasses of each and if something really knocks your socvks off, start there. I think the passion has to come before the exploration.

Archived