Cast Interviewed at London Film and Comic Con

Westeros

Several members of the Game of Thrones cast were on hand for London Film and Comic Con, and we have a brief video from the Game of Thrones panel—featuring Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Rose Leslie (Ygritte), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth), and John Bradley (Samwell Tarly)—filmed from the audience. We’ve also found several interviews from Red Carpet News that should be of interest to fans of the show. You can find the videos embedded below:read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Well, they're mostly talking about the TV show version of the character, not the book's interpretation, though they most likely do read the books, I know a lot of them have. Can't blame them for just going straight for their character in the show instead of devoting a lot of time to reading the book series when they have to work and what not.

Reading the books could be a hindrance and anyway, it certainly isn't necessary. What actors need is a director or producer that will give them a detailed outline of their character so that they can go off and develop it themselves, that way, they have a better chance of doing something original or unexpected with the role. I don't think Sean Bean read the book and Maisie Williams has said that she didn't (though her mum gives her heavily edited highlights for Arya), not many people would argue that they haven't captured Ned and Arya perfectly.

I don't think Sean Bean read the book and Maisie Williams has said that she didn't (though her mum gives her heavily edited highlights for Arya), not many people would argue that they haven't captured Ned and Arya perfectly.

Since Maise's mum has read her rellevant portions of the books, I wouldn't count her among the actors who disregard the source material.

In any case, even if some actors have done an excellent job without resorting to the books, there are some who may have benefited a little bit from the read (Lena Headey, Aidan Gillen,..)

@AnotherHedgeKnight

I seemed to recall that Aidan hadn't read them, so I've done some research and I've found this interview from around May 2011 when he states that he is reading the books. So you are right, but apparently he hadn't read the books by the time the first season was shot.

I herd somwhere recently that Aidan Gillen is the only one who is read all five book. But that goes not mater since his character has been turned into a caricature in season 2 by the show makers. I suggested Gwendoline should read more because her character has not changed much, yet.

As has been pointed out many times before on various threads, an actor's job is to deliver on the scripts as presented to them, not to second-guess the writers, directors and producers about their characters. Charles Dance for one has been quite adamant about that, and explains why he only reads the source books if he finds the scripts inadequate, or (as he put it in one interview) if the writing is so poor that he is forced to try and make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. NCW has said he reads the relevant books, but only after he has read the scripts for that season. It's wrong to criticise an actor for choosing not to read the books at all, or for only reading them after getting the scripts: if the scripts take a particular direction with a role or a story, then you can't have actors arguing the toss with the directors. There is obviously some room for collaboration and discussion about a role or its interpretation, especially as a series progresses and a good level of trust builds up over time, but it's not necessary for an actor to have read the books in order to deliver a fine performance.

ARgh!!! I'm in love with Gwendoline Christie!!!!!!!

Besides her physique and those big beautiful eyes, one of the reasons she makes a perfect Brienne is that she just oozes sincerity and idealism, much like her character does. Is it just me or does she almost tear up when talking about Brienne being picked on all her life?

Reading the books could be a hindrance and anyway, it certainly isn't necessary. What actors need is a director or producer that will give them a detailed outline of their character so that they can go off and develop it themselves, that way, they have a better chance of doing something original or unexpected with the role. I don't think Sean Bean read the book and Maisie Williams has said that she didn't (though her mum gives her heavily edited highlights for Arya), not many people would argue that they haven't captured Ned and Arya perfectly.

Can't blame her for not reading it though she's still at school and acting for GOT don't think she'd have much time for reading

I'm disappointed that when Christie talks about why she thinks fans love Brienne and not once did she bring up Brienne's nobility. That why Brienne has so many fans, in a world where "they are no true knights", Brienne embodies all of those qualities, he faithfulness to her oath, her willingness to defend the innocent, and her compassion for the weak.

I hope the show doesn't shortchange the character of those qualities. Brienne is not "one of the best swordman in the world", she's good, but not at that level, but it's not her "badassery" that makes people love her, I hope the show doesn't make the mistake of thinking it is, although I fear they might be.

Brienne is not "one of the best swordman in the world", she's good, but not at that level,

I actually think you're wrong there, but I suppose we should take that argument to one of the many "who would win in a fight" threads.

Michelle Fairley said last year that she didn't plan on reading the books beyond what they have already filmed, as it would only give her, as an actress, a distracted perspective on how to play her character. If she knew her fate she might unconsciously approach scenarios and other characters in the wrong way.

I think Richard Madden said he plans on only reading the books simultaneously with the filming.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cast have been advised not to read too much, especially as it'd give them a clue as to how long their contracts could last. The tv show writers can and do take liberties with plot, so they have probably been made aware that stories can change and characters can live or die irrespective of their fates in the books.

Besides, if the actors rely on the novels for their motivations and mannerisms, then the directors and writers are only doing half their job.

I think Richard Madden said he plans on only reading the books simultaneously with the filming.

Yeah, I've seen him say this a couple of times. I'm sure I remember Emilia Clarke saying she was in the process of reading the books a while ago, too.

I herd somwhere recently that Aidan Gillen is the only one who is read all five book. But that goes not mater since his character has been turned into a caricature in season 2 by the show makers. I suggested Gwendoline should read more because her character has not changed much, yet.

Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy) read all the books!

I'm pretty sure Gwendolyn Christie has said before that she has read the books, and I've read interviews where her comments on Brienne seemed much more consistent with my view of Brienne fromthe books, so I feel like maybe trying not to give things away about Season 3 threw her responses off in this interview? I did find some of her answers odd, but I wonder if she was just trying to go with what would make sense to viewers as of Season 2.

I love Rose Leslie! She is so damn cute and energetic! :)

Btw-Kit Harington has stated in many interviews, that he raced through the books (bk 1-4) once he got the part of Jon Snow and as a result also became a fan of the series.

I would be especially curious to know his thoughts to Jon's storyline changes in season 2.....hmmmm

Archived