Massive Comic-Con Casting Reveals

Westeros

Is this production limited to 18 and over actors? What are you talking about? Did I have some kind of hallucination when I looked at the actors playing Bran/Rickon/Tommen/Arya/Sansa/Myrcella (?)? They are clearly willing to hire child actors when it's needed... I think these are situations where it's needed. There are child actors in True Blood, in The Wire, in Deadwood, in The Tudors, in Game of Thrones itself. These aren't parts where the actors would be needed for massive amounts of time. Margaery, Missandei, Pod - these are all parts with limited amounts of filming to begin with. The whole reason for child labor laws is because there are child actors. You're acting like they don't exist or something.

Actually, it's a fair point with Jojen and Meera that since they're mostly going to be acting across from Bran, you'd think child labor laws would already be controlling the shoot schedule for their scenes, since Isaac is not an 18-year-old... so why not go younger?

And the answer to that is probably the fact that casting kid actors is really tough (hence hundreds of Aryas before they found Maisie) , and however cool and talented the kids are, they still lack experience and are generally likelier to slow down shooting than more experienced, adult actors are. When you have the very complicated production of a show like GoT, there's only so much time to spare.

What part of the legal aspects of child labor laws do you not understand?

One of the primary legal constraints HBO must observe is that persons of a certain age cannot (cannot, cannot) work such and such a number of hours per production day ... especially when the shooting schedule is tight and cinematography might go on for as long as more than 12 or 18 hours , as it did at Blackwater.

So get over it, no way to change it.

I for one am glad that mature women are place in the roles of teenagers , as in the books, for a visual drama it works just fine and had no effect on the story narrative , from my point of view.

Lord, it this series goes the whole way, Maisie Williams may be over 20 years old , I would never replace her!

Jolene is talking specifically about Margaery. An 18-20 year actor could easily play her. She's just questioning the casting of Natalie Dormer. Personally that's the only casting that I have a problem with. She's in her 30's while Margaery is supposed to be 16 so even if they made her 20, Natalie is way too old.

Regarding appearance ,most of them are close to what I pictured, especially Tormund, Brynden and the Reeds. I don't understand why Missandei is an adult though. The other children characters remained children (or at least look like children).

ETA: I really , really hope you people are wrong about her replacing the handmaidens in the girl on girl scenes. I won't be able to get out of my head that she's supposed to be 10.

Unsurprisingly , Selyse is beautiful. Thoros is nothing like I imagined but I'm not going to complain.

Regarding appearance ,most of them are close to what I pictured, especially Tormund, Brynden and the Reeds. I don't understand why Missandei is an adult though. The other children characters remained children (or at least look like children).

ETA: I really , really hope you people are wrong about her replacing the handmaidens in the girl on girl scenes. I won't be able to get out of my head that she's supposed to be 10.

Unsurprisingly , Selyse is beautiful. Thoros is nothing like I imagined but I'm not going to complain.

Missandei her age is not necessary for the story. Working with children in television or movie is annoying as hell, due to certain laws.

Jojen looks like a frog, excellent. And Meera is hot. Man-crushing on Beric, Thoros is a departure from the books but I can see him working out really well. Good to see someone from Rome popping up (even if its not Purefoy) in Edmure. Tormund looks a bit too young. Overall great stuff.

And the Blackfish- OH SHIT OH SHIT

Jolene is talking specifically about Margaery. An 18-20 year actor could easily play her. She's just questioning the casting of Natalie Dormer. Personally that's the only casting that I have a problem with. She's in her 30's while Margaery is supposed to be 16 so even if they made her 20, Natalie is way too old.

The only way to know Natalie Dormer's age is to look her up , say on the web. I had not known her age when just looking at her the first time, I could tell she was older than 20, but to my eye she could be 25.

Sophie Turner is only 16 but I swear even by the end of season 1 she looked about 20, and looks in her early 20's now.

For me personally I don't see how the age of actors between 13 and 20 makes any difference for the story narrative as presented as visual drama.

Even George is not always consistent in his POV's of Arya's thinking , who is , in the books, still less than or about 12.

Hard to find , but I am sure production falls under UK child labor laws, which are consistent throughout Europe and would be the same in the USA if they shot in America.

I remember that the Harry Potter films had to get some small exemptions about shooting hours for actors under 18 when that production was going on.

I can't find it, but I am also almost sure that in all European countries, if I production has adult content child actors cannot be in the scene, that is why you see some cases where , for instance something Bran sees, or Arya hears, Isaac Hempstead-Wright and Maisie Williams were not really there.

That was done in the editing room.

This age thing is silly, the teleplays and casting have been pretty constant with the books, and I can't point to one single scene where the change in the actors age has had effect on the narrative drama.

Am I the only one who is starting to freak out a little bit about Jaime's storyline? I know we had that audition scene, but there is no casting news about Vargo Hoat, no Mummers other than some barely more than an extra actor playing Rorge (have we seen Biter?), and at the moment, the Lannisters still hold Harrenhall. Even though I know it's irrational and makes no sense, I am starting to worry that it will be the BWB who take over the Mummers part of that storyline. Talk me down from the ledge, anybody!

What audition scene is that?

What audition scene is that?

There was an audition scene for Vargo that was online for awhile - I think it was Jaime talking to him about the whole 'sapphire' issue, getting him to think Brienne was worth a big ransom. I only watched part of it though, so I'm not sure.

I had no issue with the aging up of the Starks, and the Jojen/Meera actor/actress seem promising - for me, the age thing is an issue specifically in the Dany/Missandei, Brienne/Pod relationships, because you have 2 characters who both think they will never be a mother (Dany because of her infertility, Brienne both because she's not sure she wants to be and because of the way others view her) who develop very maternal relationships with 10/11 year olds. The age of the characters IS important; it is critical to the mother/surrogate child aspect of the way the characters interact.

Now, honestly, I don't really care about Missandei that much, because I don't care about Dany that much. But with Pod, to ME, his age is crucial to not just his characterization but the whole storyline. It is just not the same when he is 18 or 19. The dynamic is totally different. Since this storyline was already unpopular with a lot of people, but it is one of my favorites, it makes me really nervous about where things are going with it.

I've described my issues with Margaery's age many times so I won't repeat them. But there, it's even more baffling, because they could easily have cast an 18-20 year old.

I think they just wanted the best actress they could get, even if she was old for the part. As has been said, she looks much younger than she is. Honestly I think it is being over-thought.

Yes the marriage to Tommen will have some weirdness to it, but it did in the book too. It is obvious it is a political marriage, and I don't think many people will be analyzing the ages to that extent.

Maybe I wouldn't mind as much, if I thought she was doing a better job with the part. There's nothing about her performance that says they couldn't have gotten someone both closer to the age in the book and who acts just as well if not better. I don't think she's bad, but I wouldn't call her a stand-out either. Part of it is the writing - I think Margaery is more interesting if we're left more in doubt about her true motivations, instead of as blatantly power-hungry as she's written in the show.

Maybe I wouldn't mind as much, if I thought she was doing a better job with the part. There's nothing about her performance that says they couldn't have gotten someone both closer to the age in the book and who acts just as well if not better. I don't think she's bad, but I wouldn't call her a stand-out either. Part of it is the writing - I think Margaery is more interesting if we're left more in doubt about her true motivations, instead of as blatantly power-hungry as she's written in the show.

She's not on-screen enough, I'd say, to warrant ambiguity in the role. I think they made the smart choice to give her more to do; to make her more of a player in the game. That all comes down to opinion, though, so I can see where you're coming from. Personally, I find her character more interesting as portrayed in the show. The age of her character and the actress herself in basically a non-issue for me.

I've described my issues with Margaery's age many times so I won't repeat them. But there, it's even more baffling, because they could easily have cast an 18-20 year old.

I will give you a data point , among my friends who watch and like the show none are readers nor intend to read the books.

When I tell there is a small controversy among fans about the aging up of characters in the story they give me a blank stare say everything seems fine to them.

I also know it's a non issue among readers like me, so it comes down to individual value judgements about dramatic aesthetics.

What are those who have a problem with it going to do, stop watching?

I will give you a data point , among my friends who watch and like the show none are readers nor intend to read the books.

When I tell there is a small controversy among fans about the aging up of characters in the story they give me a blank stare say everything seems fine to them.

I also know it's a non issue among readers like me, so it comes down to individual value judgements about dramatic aesthetics.

What are those who have a problem with it going to do, stop watching?

You know this is actually a problem GRRM had in the books. He intended to have a five year gap but then couldn't and said he wished he had made the kids 2-3 years older. Which would have worked better honestly. And does on the show.

Okay, but you know dude, that's like your opinion right and it's not universal as a lot of people think their opinions are . Just look how many people were intrigued by Margaery's character just because Natalie played her and then you can say what you want .

I thought it was pretty clear in the books that Mace and Margaery were quite power hungry and wanted her to be "THE Queen." Maybe that's just my opinion though...

I thought it was pretty clear in the books that Mace and Margaery were quite power hungry and wanted her to be "THE Queen." Maybe that's just my opinion though...

It's true for Mace certainly but what Marge really thinks about it all is more mysterious.

Archived