Comic Con Panel Video

Westeros

Not gonna lie, I was a little underwhelmed by the panel from a reader's perspective.

The actors on panel may have not been as colorful as the ones last year, but I thought they still did a great job with the exception of Alfie, whose looks of total boredom were a bit disappointing to me since the event is pretty meaningful for the fans. Emilia, Rose, Richard, and Michelle were charming and funny while all looking like they were genuinely having fun, which is greatly appreciated.

My disappointment came from the questions though. I was hoping for small tidbits concerning season 3, especially from Alfie. I couldn't care less about their takes on the characters, since most of them haven't even read the books like most of us fans. So their interpretations aren't going to be as good as ours, no offense to them. I guess boring questions from TV show fans is to be expected though.

For the many thousands at SDCC who couldn’t get into the jam-packed Hall H to see the panel, and the many millions of fans besides, here’s the video of the Game of Thrones panel that took place yesterday, courtesy of Youtube user magicinthenumbers:

Visit the Site!

Is there a more 'professional' version of this, to be released later, this was ok, but seemed by an 'embedded' fan, the sound was not very good.

I feel like last year's panel had more "star quality" somehow. Dinklage, Headey, and Coster-Waldau all were hardly household names, but still maybe a little more familiar to the kind of tv/movie fanatics that go to this type of event. Can't remember who else was there. Also, I was thinking about it and out of this group

three out of the five die basically mid-way through ASOS: Ygritte, Robb, Catelyn, while Theon isn't in at all except for the skin of his little finger ... it makes for sort of a strange vibe for anyone who has read the book.

It's too bad Headey and Harrington had to cancel.

I feel like last year's panel had more "star quality" somehow. Dinklage, Headey, and Coster-Waldau all were hardly household names, but still maybe a little more familiar to the kind of tv/movie fanatics that go to this type of event. Can't remember who else was there. Also, I was thinking about it and out of this group

three out of the five die basically mid-way through ASOS: Ygritte, Robb, Catelyn, while Theon isn't in at all except for the skin of his little finger ... it makes for sort of a strange vibe for anyone who has read the book.

It's too bad Headey and Harrington had to cancel.

Not as big screen time, but I think Charles Dance would have been great... wondering if we ever see Conleth Hill or Aidan Gillen there?

Since Kristian Nairn was there, and there were two empty chairs , was one of those for George? One didn't have a name tag,....

I guess Kristian was there on his own... must be some kind of HBO protocol since he was not invited up to those empty chairs.

His scenes must be later in the shooting.

Heck, actors like Jerome Flynn, Rory McCann ,James Cosmo , Francis Magee make such an impression I would have loved to see any of them.

If they needed someone from the Dany story Iain Glen could stand in for that next year, tho don't know his inclination about these things.

Tom Wlaschiha was a surprise standout this year , that would have been a unique addition.

You know an actor's character need not be alive, after all Jason Momoa was 'dead' by the end of last season and was on the panel.

I am supposing that by next year Maisie Williams will be old enough to travel, Comic Con would be her kind of thing!

Hoping Gwendoline Christie will be there next year.

Doubt we will ever see Stephen Dillane , but maybe Liam Cunningham (notice nobody from Dragonstone was represented.)

The entire panel was a little awkward. It felt like such a stock Q&A affair...then, there were the painful awkward moments of silence after every question. Nothing seemed to flow. Last year, I think David and Dan helped the panel flow better with information -- they sort of helped GRRM moderate, and then you had someone like Momoa, who was on hand for a quick laugh to keep things lively. Last year, you also had some vet actors like Lena, Peter, and Nikolaj to offset the freshness/camera shyness of the newbies.

Felt super awkward, I almost felt like George was mad at the show and so they had this awkward tension throughout the panel. Seemed very very off.

Q&A was as bad, I mean the person dressed up as khaleesi should've said "so where ARE your dragons?!"

Last years was way better, more fun, better chemistry..

Don't think anyone was mad, but truth be told, they really don't have much to say that they haven't already said in a thousand earlier interviews. They can't talk about S3 at all at this stage, so there genuinely isn't anything new to be said at this point (not in front of an audience, anyways).

When you had D&D last year, they were able to keep turning up interesting stuff from behind-the-scenes... and had they been around, they could have been asked questions about their thinking behind decisions in S2, questions the actors can't answer.

They should have sent Bryan Cogman along. He could have provided some of that same insider perspective (in a way that GRRM, who isn't involved in day to day production, can't), and opened the discussion to being more than just about the actors and characters.

I didn't mind George having (more or less) overt sexual innuendo in maybe one or two questions asked, but there was just no stopping him. We all know that George created scenes that are (meant to be) uncomfortable to read, and it makes Westeros feel that much more realistic that it's not all black and white. But I felt it was inappropriate and rather unfair to the people on the panel to ask all those awkward questions. Since George knows his source material best (I'd assume) I'd have expected him to come up with better questions than he did. Some of the questions from the audience were better than his. What I'd like for future panels is for someone else to moderate and George to be stuck on the panel, and to have people working behind the scenes on the panel, from props department, casting, maybe special effects people. That would add a lot more interesting material.

I didn't mind George having (more or less) overt sexual innuendo in maybe one or two questions asked, but there was just no stopping him.

This was another weird part about the panel. I remember when he was talking about about sex/nudity at one point, I was thinking to mysef "Don't mention the Qartheen gown, don't mention the Qartheen gown...", and sure enough, he did. Even stranger was that he didn't elaborate to the audience who probably had no idea what that was, so it essentially came off as some stange inside joke directed at Emilia, and I actually felt really bad for her at that point. I know George was just joking, but it really went too far considering the setting and the already palpably awkward atmosphere.

They should have sent Bryan Cogman along. He could have provided some of that same insider perspective (in a way that GRRM, who isn't involved in day to day production, can't), and opened the discussion to being more than just about the actors and characters.

Yeah that is right on the money.

Carolyn Strauss is very top level HBO and very important, but she was juggling three shows.... Treme, Game of Thrones and Luck and no telling what else... and I don't think has much to do with day to day or even has time for 'inside the show' stuff.

So yeah Bryan Cogman would been maybe the only one who had an inside-outside knowledge of the show this year.

(Except of D and D.)

I had the feeling last year that George* was involved with the show more than this year ... I don't know... but that's the feeling I got.

But then I don't know, one single question about structural problems for season 2 was of no interest to most of the fan audience , and the cast have nothing much to say about how the narrative was put together for any season, except maybe Peter.

I don't know , only other person besides Cogman with an insiders take would be director and co-executive producer Alan Taylor, but I think he's too busy too.

I am not even sure if D and D might explain how season 2 was put together would oblige, maybe they would.

I would like to see a serious Q and A with Cogman who might.

(*Several times during the broadcast of Season 2 George mentioned , when out of the country, of finding a bar or restaurant or some place ...where a show episode was being played. How come he is not entitled to a digital copy weeks before the episode is shown? Maybe he is and does not bother with it?)

GRRM seemed very awkward and uncomfortable...and IMO some of his comments were really very passive aggressive, the "boobies" comments were funny, once, maybe twice, but the running theme was a bit sophomoric after awhile. It seemed like everyone was somewhat apprehensive that there would be questions or subjects brought up that the decision makers don't want to deal with. Or, rather, that GRRM was trying to present himself as totally in line with what the adaptation is, but I didn't get the feeling that he is 100% on board with what D and D have done, or are doing? And that maybe some attendee would come right out and ask? IDK, seemed like he was really forcing himself throughout.

I liked that Alfie is clearly a smartass, simply no front whatsoever.

"Khaleesi" in the "lift" was really genuinely funny, and Emilia is quite charming.

Rose Leslie, "You know nothing, NOTHING" was sweet, but GRRM gave off as a bit of an "pedo, friend of my grandfather" vibe there.

Michelle Fairley--Holly God, THE LEGS. Some interesting chemistry between she and Madden, and the "Always in a tent. Naked. Throaty laugh" bit...a MILF is born. Also, I think the two really tried to provide answers that didn't come off as rehearsed, but more genuine. I saw serious crushing going on there, and they are both beautiful, so I was glad they were included. Is my girl crush obvious yet?

It seems that MF made it a point to mention the specific names of people they were talking about, department heads and the like, which I thought was very generous. I would have expected that more from the production person on the panel.

I wish Hodor could have been brought up to the panel, as they seemed to have some extra seats available. WTH?

For me, I would prefer less moderation by moderators, and more questions from the floor attendees, in the future. For this specific panel, it would have come off better.

Comparing the two years, the first comicon was when the show really knocked it out of the park in S1. Everyone was excited, there wasn't a great divide between purists and viewers, and it was well received by audiences and critics. This year, season two, is not the same. I think some of the awkwardness and apprehension is present for all to see. With how vocal everyone has been, myself included, how could there not be awkwardness? Of all the people on the panel, Theon's story arc is the single best presentation of season two, hands down. There is literally so much dissension regarding the story arcs for Catelyn/Robb/Ygritte/Jon/Dany and the HotU in S2.....

Not gonna lie, I was a little underwhelmed by the panel from a reader's perspective.

The actors on panel may have not been as colorful as the ones last year, but I thought they still did a great job with the exception of Alfie, whose looks of total boredom were a bit disappointing to me since the event is pretty meaningful for the fans. Emilia, Rose, Richard, and Michelle were charming and funny while all looking like they were genuinely having fun, which is greatly appreciated.

My disappointment came from the questions though. I was hoping for small tidbits concerning season 3, especially from Alfie. I couldn't care less about their takes on the characters, since most of them haven't even read the books like most of us fans. So their interpretations aren't going to be as good as ours, no offense to them. I guess boring questions from TV show fans is to be expected though.

It's Martin fault as well . He sucked hard as a moderator this year . Lots of useless and unfunny sex jokes and awkward silences .

GRRM seemed very awkward and uncomfortable...and IMO some of his comments were really very passive aggressive, the "boobies" comments were funny, once, maybe twice, but the running theme was a bit sophomoric after awhile. It seemed like everyone was somewhat apprehensive that there would be questions or subjects brought up that the decision makers don't want to deal with. Or, rather, that GRRM was trying to present himself as totally in line with what the adaptation is, but I didn't get the feeling that he is 100% on board with what D and D have done, or are doing? And that maybe some attendee would come right out and ask? IDK, seemed like he was really forcing himself throughout.

I liked that Alfie is clearly a smartass, simply no front whatsoever.

"Khaleesi" in the "lift" was really genuinely funny, and Emilia is quite charming.

Rose Leslie, "You know nothing, NOTHING" was sweet, but GRRM gave off as a bit of an "pedo, friend of my grandfather" vibe there.

Michelle Fairley--Holly God, THE LEGS. Some interesting chemistry between she and Madden, and the "Always in a tent. Naked. Throaty laugh" bit...a MILF is born. Also, I think the two really tried to provide answers that didn't come off as rehearsed, but more genuine. I saw serious crushing going on there, and they are both beautiful, so I was glad they were included. Is my girl crush obvious yet?

It seems that MF made it a point to mention the specific names of people they were talking about, department heads and the like, which I thought was very generous. I would have expected that more from the production person on the panel.

I wish Hodor could have been brought up to the panel, as they seemed to have some extra seats available. WTH?

For me, I would prefer less moderation by moderators, and more questions from the floor attendees, in the future. For this specific panel, it would have come off better.

Comparing the two years, the first comicon was when the show really knocked it out of the park in S1. Everyone was excited, there wasn't a great divide between purists and viewers, and it was well received by audiences and critics. This year, season two, is not the same. I think some of the awkwardness and apprehension is present for all to see. With how vocal everyone has been, myself included, how could there not be awkwardness? Of all the people on the panel, Theon's story arc is the single best presentation of season two, hands down. There is literally so much dissension regarding the story arcs for Catelyn/Robb/Ygritte/Jon/Dany and the HotU in S2.....

What does that have to do with anything. Do you really think they care that some nerd on the internet don't like how the show isn't a carbon copy of the books series . Get over yourself !

What does that have to do with anything. Do you really think they care that some nerd on the internet don't like how the show isn't a carbon copy of the books series . Get over yourself !

Actually, I do. Just as I'm certain that you were not using the term "Nerd" in a derogatory sense, that "don't" should be "does not," that a question mark denotes a question, a period a statement, and finally, "getting over myself" is your way of saying you care about my emotional wellbeing.

I think you are a delightful, as well. :laugh:

It was funny when George tried the joke that Alfie Allen was supposed to have died during his last scene, and Alfie doesn't understand that at all and starts talking about the third season, oblivious.

Then it gets sort of awkward when he realizes.

I don't know how one would take the awkwardness of this panel and connect it to GRRM holding grudges against the show. I think that's a reach. I think the panel didn't work this year, but it had little to do with any animosity...the chemistry was just off. I think George struggled to keep the panel together and the actors/producer wasn't doing much to help him in the task.

Archived