Dominic West Passes on Game of Thrones Role

Westeros

Maureen Ryan of the Huffington Post has discovered, in the course of an interview, that English actor Dominic West—perhaps best known for his role as McNulty in the critically acclaimed The Wire, and currently heading up the BBC’s The Hour—was offered a part on HBO’s Game of Thrones... a part which he passed up because, apparently, it involved being in Iceland for several months (or so he recalls) and that it was a prominent role.Ryan speculates a number of possibilities, but we think her first guess—that he was offered the part of Mance Rayder, the former ranger of the Night’s Watch who has proclaimed himself King beyond the Wall—is pretty much spot on. West would have been fairly perfect for the part, it must be said, but it seems that’s not meant to be. As we know from recent remarks, the role of Mance Rayder was still in casting just two weeks ago.

Visit the Site!

Loved him as McNulty, but he just didn't work for me in Centurion or John Carter (which was a much better movie than I was led to believe).

I can imagine him as Mance, but I'm glad he didn't take the part.

Still rooting for James Purefoy (since Armitage is out with them now needing to do more filming for The Hobbit).

Loved him as McNulty, but he just didn't work for me in Centurion or John Carter (which was a much better movie than I was led to believe).

I can imagine him as Mance, but I'm glad he didn't take the part.

Still rooting for James Purefoy (since Armitage is out with them now needing to do more filming for The Hobbit).

Or Henry Ian Cusack.

Wait. Does this interview mean they only need Mance for one single season? Does this mean they mean to... follow the Sean-Bean-pattern? Don't you dare!

No, of course not!

Why not?

Do you honestly think they will kill of Mance after one season, eventhough he still lives in the books? He has a major role to play, and he could become one the fans favourite characters. No way they're going to kill him early, it wouldn't make sense.

Do you honestly think they will kill of Mance after one season, eventhough he still lives in the books? He has a major role to play, and he could become one the fans favourite characters. No way they're going to kill him early, it wouldn't make sense.

Ned was a fan favourite, too. And they obviously want an expensive actor for Mance, so I wonder whether they would be planning to keep him alive for the next years to come. Besides Dominic West didn't mention being asked for a whole lot of seasons, and if they planned to keep Mance in the story, he would be talking years, not just six months.

And considering ADWD, there is always the possibility GRRM told them not to bother including him beyond the Battle at the Wall. He could just die in battle, or Jon does kill him in the series, because he doesn't have any major importance later on. This would probably mean Ramsey's letter is true. :bawl:

But I hope you are right.

They're not going to kill Mance. He's going to interact with Jon in season 3 (when they meet), season 4 (battle at the Wall) and season 5 (and beyond if we're lucky). They've made some interesting changes in this show and killed off characters that are still alive in the book. Mance will not be one of those characters.

Ned was a fan favourite, too. And they obviously want an expensive actor for Mance, so I wonder whether they would be planning to keep him alive for the next years to come. Besides Dominic West didn't mention being asked for a whole lot of seasons, and if they planned to keep Mance in the story, he would be talking years, not just six months.

And considering ADWD, there is always the possibility GRRM told them not to bother including him beyond the Battle at the Wall. He could just die in battle, or Jon does kill him in the series, because he doesn't have any major importance later on. This would probably mean Ramsey's letter is true. :bawl:

But I hope you are right.

Oh, god, I hope I'm right.

You know what the funny thing is, about us the fans, we see mountains in every molehole (if that's how the proverb goes in English).

Of course they will not kill Mance... they havent changed the story that much so far and they will not do it, I'm betting on this.

Every change has been a minor change so far...

Archived