LoneStarCon 2013

I'll add to that new thread about the need for people to help us setup and tear down across the con. I'm doing some support work for the Access services and we need people to help set up and move all the mobility devices into the convention center on Wednesday and to return them on Monday to the loading dock.We may also ask for people to help us check the function rooms and make sure that the HA reserved areas are still marked with the signs and marked spaces every morning. More on that when we get that thread going.

And I'll remind folks once again that we'll be donating items to the volunteer goodies pool.

We still have two memberships to donate to folks who just need a little help to be able to attend the WorldCon.

Well, after I help Tom (aka Master of Coin) set up Shire Post on Wednesday, I could lend a hand or two, if the need is still there.

They have the program guide up on the con website now.

The pocket program is at http://www.lonestarcon3.org/publications/pocket-program.pdf

The interactive guide is at http://www.lonestarcon3.org/guide/#prog

Unfortunately, I get a broken/partial page on the interactive guide. Anyone else having luck?

Also, will there be an app for the program guide...my pockets aren't that big :cool4:

They have the program guide up on the con website now.

The pocket program is at http://www.lonestarc...ket-program.pdf

The interactive guide is at http://www.lonestarc...org/guide/#prog

Unfortunately, I get a broken/partial page on the interactive guide. Anyone else having luck?

Also, will there be an app for the program guide...my pockets aren't that big :cool4:

It was working for me last night. Haven't tried to use it today though. I really like the interactive guide as it makes it easy to keep track of things I'm interested in from the computer.

Question,

I know that asking for a signing at a party/in the hallway/etc is bad etiquette. I'm active duty military and for several family reasons cannot take leave to attend the Con. I will be arriving in town Friday afternoon and leaving Monday morning (driving 8 hrs home to Oklahoma City.) I have a 1st edition Game of Thrones that I've wanted to get signed since I bought it in 2005. I only have a membership for Saturday, though my wife is open to letting me get a Monday membership to make the Monday signing, but that would put us home very late (with 5 very frustrated turtles in the car). My question is: is anyone willing to get the signature for me if I can't make Monday happen? I'll pay for the shipping to get the book home. PM me if you can help, I don't want to spam the thread.

v/r,

Nero

I bet someone will be willing to stand in the line and get it signed. Just bring it to the party and someone who might be going to the signing could put it in their allotment. Unfortunately, I can't volunteer for that duty -- I'm lucky if I get to two panels for an entire WorldCon, and I'm very sure I won't be able to make it to the signing. :(

Question,

I know that asking for a signing at a party/in the hallway/etc is bad etiquette. I'm active duty military and for several family reasons cannot take leave to attend the Con. I will be arriving in town Friday afternoon and leaving Monday morning (driving 8 hrs home to Oklahoma City.) I have a 1st edition Game of Thrones that I've wanted to get signed since I bought it in 2005. I only have a membership for Saturday, though my wife is open to letting me get a Monday membership to make the Monday signing, but that would put us home very late (with 5 very frustrated turtles in the car). My question is: is anyone willing to get the signature for me if I can't make Monday happen? I'll pay for the shipping to get the book home. PM me if you can help, I don't want to spam the thread.

v/r,

Nero

PM Sent. :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone this week. When I found out that the Bay Bridge is closed for 6 days and I actually have to have a permit to enter and leave my apartment, it was an easy choice to leave town.

I just looked at the bids, and I think I'll be supporting Helsinki, because a) I have always wanted to go to Finland and b ) they are the only ones who have an early enough bid. I can't possibly justify going to London and having to take off that many days at the beginning of the school year, so I appreciate early August bids. :)

Alert on possible hotel problems:

If you believe the LoneStarCon3 web site, all reservations were to be turned over to the Marriotts on 8 August.

A check last night on the Marriott web site, however, did not show my reservation. The "Acknowledgment #" provided by PassKey -- the con's online reservation agents -- was not a valid Marriott confirmation number.

I called the Marriott today. They were able to go into the PassKey system and confirm that I was listed there by last name and Acknowledgment Number. After doing so, they were able to give me a valid Marriott confirmation number.

Curiously, about 30 seconds after they did this, an automated email message from Marriott confirming my reservation showed up in my in-box.

Maybe that was a coincidence; then again, maybe not.

If you're staying at either one of the Marriotts, and haven't received a confirmation from them directly, you might want to follow up before you arrive in San Antonio and make sure they know you're coming...

Is anyone else staying at the Crockett Hotel? If there's someone out there who is going to be booking almost as late as I did, I got a really good package rate through Southwest, like hundreds of dollars cheaper than any other air+hotel option. Just in case anyone is in that boat. But please PM me if you're at my hotel.

Dave,

I saw a prediction for 99 on Friday.

Scot,

My most vivid memory of the last time Worldcon was held in San Antonio:

Returning to my room after a long night of liver abuse partying

and going out on the balcony for a smoke.

From there, I observed the time & temperature sign atop a nearby skyscraper.

3:30 AM

ONE HUNDRED THREE DEGREES FONDLY FAHRENHEIT

So ninety-nine in the daytime, well, that's like some kinda "Fall is coming soon, get ready to

start wearing sweaters again" signal to the locals.

-d-

I'm in Austin and spent all of yesterday afternoon on a boat on a lake. It was lovely. Compared to the Florida humidity this is heaven.

I'm happy to report my first hangover in Texas was not Bigger then others. In fact having Jack in the Box for breakfast took care of it!!

Tick tock!! Just two more sleeps until WorldCon!!!

Archived