College Football 2012 II - The Rematch

Greywolf2375

Also, from the little bit I've been able to see the Oregon line is just looking horrible against a frankly meh Fresno State team. Mariota did fine without pressure; with pressure he's looking more like little Mario instead of Super Mario.

Mostly just not looking consistent at all in the second half. I don't know if the story is injuries or something else, but it looks bad - like Justin Roper after Dennis Dixon bad.

Nice, solid 28-10 win for the Rebels against a halfway decent mid-major. May not seem like much but considering we've already equaled last year's win total I'd say it's a promising start. Not to mention, we looked better against this team than Oklahoma did and beat them by 18 points despite a lousy 3rd quarter. I'm not ready to amend my prediction of only 4 wins this season just yet, but I'm confident we'll be overwhelmingly more competitive than last year. If nothing else, things are looking up.

Oh and - 1,100 yards offense in 2 games. Took us FIVE games last year to reach that point. It certainly helps that we have an actual football coach calling plays this year, as opposed to a jackass huckster looking for an easy payday.

I am watching Arkansas/UL-Monroe right now. UL-Monroe is giving Arkansas all that it can handle. They have put out the starting QB, CB,FB, and backup FB. Arkansas is holding on with 6 minutes left with a 7 point lead.

UL-Monroe looks like they have several athletes that run in the 4.4 range. They also have several defenders that are over 300lbs that are running at 4.7 or 4.8. My question is this 20 years ago, if you could run that fast and be that big, you were a freak of nature and were guaranteed a spot in the NFL. How is it that UL-Monroe has several of these players? It is not just this third tier college team either. I have been noticing that everyone playing anywhere has been getting much bigger and faster.

The only conclusion I have is that they have come up with much better drugs.

UL-Monroe looks like they have several athletes that run in the 4.4 range. They also have several defenders that are over 300lbs that are running at 4.7 or 4.8. My question is this 20 years ago, if you could run that fast and be that big, you were a freak of nature and were guaranteed a spot in the NFL. How is it that UL-Monroe has several of these players? It is not just this third tier college team either. I have been noticing that everyone playing anywhere has been getting much bigger and faster.

It's a combination of talented kids who can't qualify for admission at a BCS conference university, and kids who get kicked off of said teams and end up at smaller schools. Don't know about Monroe but La-Lafayette has about half a dozen former BCS conference scholarship players.

Oregon's final tally: injuries to the starting WR, starting (and one of the best in conference) safety, and injuries to 4 OLinemen. Not a good day. Hopefully injuries aren't too severe, but it looked like York is done for the season given he was crying.

Oregon's final tally: injuries to the starting WR, starting (and one of the best in conference) safety, and injuries to 4 OLinemen. Not a good day. Hopefully injuries aren't too severe, but it looked like York is done for the season given he was crying.

Well luckily you have a pretty soft schedule for the next month or so. Hopefully plenty of time to get those guys healed up before y'all play USC.

I am watching Arkansas/UL-Monroe right now. UL-Monroe is giving Arkansas all that it can handle. They have put out the starting QB, CB,FB, and backup FB. Arkansas is holding on with 6 minutes left with a 7 point lead.

UL-Monroe is a university in the middle of northeast Louisiana; it is surrounded by a number of parishes, all with public high schools having excellent football teams, many of which go on to win the state championships in their particular divisions. These high schools are somewhat like a feeder into UL-Monroe.

As for the bigger players on third tier college teams, I got nothing, except there is a pattern that some high schools all over the U.S. will keep their players a year or too longer than necessary, basically holding them until they are ineligible to play high school football by virtue of age. By the time they get to college, they are simply older and bigger. That, and the CDC said all Americans are getting taller, bigger, and fatter.

Well as expected TCU beat the pants off of Grambling State - 56-0, with 28 points in just the first quarter. Fun stat, TCU scored on special teams and defense in consecutive possessions before scoring on offense (punt return and pick-6). Until the fourth quarter when third and fourth string went in, TCU had scored a touchdown on all but one drive. Our backup qb is a beast and lightning fast, not to mention a good passer. If Pachall wasnt just so damn good I'd expect Boykin to have a shot at starting. The QBs together threw 17/17 for four touchdowns.

So, obviously everything here with a grain of salt considering our opponent, but some good things. Our offense played really tight, no mistakes that I saw. Pachall threw a couple of passes I didn't like, but our receiving corps is ridiculously stacked and they got them all. The defense also played very tight, and our secondary, which was a big question mark, played very well. Again, I know it's a cake game, but I liked the way they played. Not sloppy, just good coverage. Our o-line is gonna give me sleepless nights when we go up against UT though, but at least they've got a good long time to prepare.

Overall I'm quite pleased. No mistakes, no sloppiness. We have Kansas at Lawrence next week, our first real Big 12 game, but considering that Kansas just lost to Rice tonight I think we shouldn't have any trouble. After that is UVA at home. Are they any good this year?

A final note: I'm actually glad now that we have a lot of time before playing WVU, UT, and OU, to get our weak spots - o-line, linebackers, and secondary - some more seasoning. Too many freshman starters.

Archived