Who is the Harpy?

BANEE

Another thing is that many herbal treatments that might cause an abortion can also kill you if not applied properly.

The dosage taken can also determine the results. Take for example tansy. It is one of several plants which produce thujone. A substance safe in small doses. But high doses tend to cause violent convulsions (resembling epileptic fits), muscle spasms,and (in some cases) death. Drinks which include thujone, most notably absinthe, are also connected to hallucinations, insomnia and general restlessness.

Another thing is that many herbal treatments that might cause an abortion can also kill you if not applied properly. The slave girl in Rome killed Pullos wife like that. I can also recall reading something in the paper a number of years ago about a young woman who died because she tried to abort a pregnancy in this manner and mixed the concoction the wrong way. On the other hand Dany is a nibbler who is unlikely to eat more than one or two. So it does seem possible.

The dosage taken can also determine the results. Take for example tansy. It is one of several plants which produce thujone. A substance safe in small doses. But high doses tend to cause violent convulsions (resembling epileptic fits), muscle spasms,and (in some cases) death. Drinks which include thujone, most notably absinthe, are also connected to hallucinations, insomnia and general restlessness.

Yup. That's the reason I always say it's unrealistic how some women use Moon Tea as carelessly as it were soda; Asha, for example, is all "I can have all the sex I want because I drink Moon Tea afterwards" as it were nothing, when the fact is that she's guzzling poisons like pennyroyal or tansy every time she uses it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hizdar is a catspaw, a conduit and One willing to place himself in control of others to fulfill his own wish to be king-for how long though...

It's possible it's the shavepate, but I doubt it.

We have to assume one of Danys treasons will be coming up, and for the haters rejoice, it means less internal monologue. It may not be about the harpy but given that she would consider it betrayel given how well she's treated all the "on screen" possibilities, it makes sense for it to be one of them.

How Danny would not have the green grace watched, using the BB, or try to buy one of the GGs lower veils by seeking any and all information on them, force the harpies hand as it were. Maybe that's her nievity, but I think the shave pate has gone too far in his support of Dany to turn her over to the "harpy"(ies)and expect no consequences.

• 2 months later...

I personally don't see how the Shavepate could be the Harpy. The evidence is in the script and has been pointed out a lot in this thread. The Green Grace says Kandaq isn't politically strong in "Pre-Dragon" Mereen. The fact that he was Dany's strongest domestic supporter suggests that he made that decision to boost the power of his "weak" family within this new regime. At this point... if Dany fails and either leaves or is removed forcibly, Kandaq's power and influence will diminish even more as the old families come back into power. Because of this, his best course to remain powerful is to do what he can to stay at Dany's side.

The Green Grace strikes me as the best candidate for who could be the Harpy. While the Shavepate is much more direct and rash, Galare is subtle and appeals to Dany on a feminine level, attempting to manipulate her with soft, carefully chosen words. Also, if it were the Shavepate, that could add two or three extra chapters just to wrap up the whole mereenese situation.... and who wants that?

I think the Shavepate being the Harpy would be a little too "muahahaha sudden betrayal!." It might be overkill. The Green Grace is a good candidate, but I doubt it is Hizdahr. He's more likely than the Shavepate, but he seems genuinely interested in the wellbeing of Mereen, not just the aristocrats

I think the Shavepate being the Harpy would be a little too "muahahaha sudden betrayal!." It might be overkill. The Green Grace is a good candidate, but I doubt it is Hizdahr. He's more likely than the Shavepate, but he seems genuinely interested in the wellbeing of Mereen, not just the aristocrats

Yeah man, I understand your point. But if so, it'll be something more predictable. And outside the great mysteries, almost everything is predictable.

Skahaz seems to be trying to gain power from the beginning and trying to provoke wars and sufferings. Something like what we saw in Westeros. To me, it seems he wants Daenerys is hated and seen as a barbarian conqueror.

And I like his way, but I do not trust him one bit attitudes. More than once I see him being the Harpy and inventing stories for her.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hope it's not the Shavepate. I like to count him as one of Dany's few true supporters in Essos. He's my candidate for Warden of the Iron Islands once Queen Daenerys hypothetically eliminates House Greyjoy (not that a scenario of such would make any sense at this particular time.)

I think the Green Grace is the obvious choice. I found it really peculiar how much Dany seemed to trust her when she was being so unambiguously shady. But then, because she's such an obvious choice, it makes me think she may not be the one. I think the idea of multiple harpies leading different factions has a good chance of panning out.

It was said that Meereen hasn't had a king in a long time, and that many believe Hizdahr is not the right choice to be Meereen's King. Meereen doesn't seem like the kind of place that would instantly unite, even with such an obvious threat as Daenerys. I could definitely imagine multiple people making their power play to become the ruler of Meereen in this cloud of upheaval and confusion.

What about a complete surprise ?

Imagine Mereneese nobility really fears Dany after the 163 crucifixions and her taking hostages, and just do nothing against her (after all the ex-slavers keep a lot of power, according to all the descriptions about ex-slaves now being employees but still badly paid, suffering from hunger etc... And another group is behind the harpy.

Crackpot theory...

A faction of ex-slaves is unhappy whith Dany's indulgence for what remains of mereneese nobility. They want the full extermination of slavers, they want blood, and will betray Dany for that blood.

This faction may be lead by someone traumatized by his/her mistreatment as a slave (considering how unsullied are trained may be one, or someone who witnessed that), say Missandei (one of the first victim is one of her brothers who refused to support her plan)

As the goal of that terrorist group is to make sure cohabitation is impossible between slaves and ex-slavers, the few slaves who succeeds in the new society and risk to form an intermediate class are among the first victims, to organize a revolution of the oppressed you want only oppressed and oppressors.

In the beginning the group just hope that Dany decides to turn against the nobility, kill the ex slavers, support Astrapor etc... But she does none of that. So instead on betting on Dany to do the dirty work, they decide to organize her fall. But then there's a problem : most slaves wouldn't support a revolt against their "mother" as bad their situation may be.

Here comes the idea to let Hizdar marry her, which will associate Dany with the slaver class, and make easier to turn the freedmen against her (or organize a revolution if say she is poisoned and Hizdaq become both king and suspect)..

So the false harpies stop the killing until she accepts him as king.

Then they organize the poisoning etc...

Even more crackpot theory...

"Who is this goddess ? One of the gods of Ghis ?"

Grey Worm looked troubled. "The goddess is called by many names. She is the Lady of Spears, the Bride of Battles, the Mother of Hosts, but her true name belongs only to these poor ones who have burned their manhoods upon the altar."

(ADWD p.556)

What if she is the Harpy ?

Harpy is not a mereneese only thing, but the main god of all ghis. The harpy is worshiped as well in Astapor.

And there's a group of people trained to be complete fanatics devoid of any humanity, this group is the Unsullied.

Who is more a "Son of the Harpy" than someone who "burned his manhood upon her altar" ?

While their first reflex was to obey Dany in Astrapor, as she was holding the wand giving her total command over them, they are still product of their education, and that education includes a secret cult dedicated to the harpy (what better's than religion to make people fanatics ? also making unsullied religious fanatics may have been a way to re-take control of them once sold, the Astapors slavers just didn't find time to use because they were slain too fast).

Grey Worm kept his Unsullied name, perhaps he is also the most attached to their traditions, and the leader of a group of Unsullied still practicing this cult (I say a group because if all Unsullied were Harpies they could have took power easily).

As long the Unsullied were on the road they served Dany without problem, but things changed at Mereen, where they could meet a representative of the Harpy religion (eventually the green grace) to tell them that the Harpy will punish them in the afterlife if they don't follow the will of the goddess, goddess which is naturally supportive of a return to traditionnal ghiscari practices including slavery.

One of the first victims of the Usullied-Harpies is one perverted Unsullied who was visiting brothels to get some comfort, expressing an human feeling completely against Unsullied education.

Considered extremely loyal and never suspected for anything, the Unsullied could easily organize all the murders of the Son of the Harpy (first striking some influential unsullied who were becoming too humans, then other supporters of Dany).

Then they may have had the same reasons as in crackpot theory 1 to stop their crimes to make her marry Hizdaq, or the Green Grace may just have asked them to.

If Greyworm supports the Barristan-Shavepate counter-attack plan, it's because in the middle of the battle of Mereen, when the other anti slavery forces are engaged outside the walls, they will be in the best position to change side and organize their coup.

Don't believe in these two (just found these scenarios fun to consider) but with Martin you never know...

What about a complete surprise ?

Imagine Mereneese nobility really fears Dany after the 163 crucifixions and her taking hostages, and just do nothing against her (after all the ex-slavers keep a lot of power, according to all the descriptions about ex-slaves now being employees but still badly paid, suffering from hunger etc... And another group is behind the harpy.

Crackpot theory...

Don't believe in these two (just found these scenarios fun to consider) but with Martin you never know...

WOW that would be a huge twist. I am now considering this...

Archived