Metal Thread VI: This One's For the OTTER

Xray the Enforcer

last Amon Amarth album is totally about ASOIAF!

I finally picked this up last night and it fucking kills!! Best stuff I've heard from them in awhile. They've shifted to a more melodeath sound on this one. and it fits their style perfectly.

I'd like to hear people's picks for the best releases of the first half of the year... There's been some really great stuff coming out lately, what stands out for you?

So far...

Vhol - S/T (of you haven't heard this yet do your self a favor and check it out, can't talk this shot up enough)

Nails - Abandon All Life

Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory & Injury (bit of a departure for these guys, but surprisingly satisfying)

Deafheaven - Sunbather

Portal - Vexovoid ( not for the faint of heart, this has got to be one of the flat-out scariest things I've ever heard)

Coming soon: from what little I've heard Ash Borer's 12" ep and the new All Pigs Must Die will definitely be up there...

I'd like to hear people's picks for the best releases of the first half of the year... There's been some really great stuff coming out lately, what stands out for you?

A Sound of Thunder - Time's Arrow - Goddamned incredible album that I like more with each listen. But I've pimped them plenty in this thread already.

- Only listened to this a few times, but I can tell it will be a rotation favorite for years. AA finally evolved its sound and the result is spectacular.

- One great album after another.

Black Sabbath - 13 - Better than it has any right to be. Tony Iommi is a genius.

- gloriously cheesy fantasy power metal. Beats bands like Manowar and Hammerfall at their own game.

- Best release in years from a consistently great band.

- Been hooked on this album for 3 solid months. Ridiculously catchy power-prog, great blend of male/female vocals.

Children of Bodom - Halo of Blood

I think their new album is a great mix between the older and newer Bodom sound, and not a single bad song in there. Certainly a lot better than their last two albums.

Finntroll - Blodsvept

Some pretty awesome stuff in there, that gets me on a good mood and I love to listen to it.

Black Sabbath - 13

Like I said before, I had zero expectations for this album, but when I finally listened to it, it surprised positively. Not quite as good as their classics but almost.

Amorphis - Circle

Some pretty awesome stuff from them once again.

Kvelertak - Meir

I only got into Kvelertak recently, but they certainly have some nice stuff, both on the new album and their first one.

Cultes des Ghoules -- Henbane

possessed and demented black metal from Poland

Enforcer -- Death By Fire

ridiculously OTT heavy/speed metal from Sweden

Abysmal Grief -- Feretri

decrepit punishing doom from Italy

I'm pretty sure those three will end up on my end-of-year list. Plus I have about 100 or so still in contention...

shit...

my supreme schedule keeper aka kair informed me that i have a wedding for 75 people that day and cannot make horrendous or the dodger game in dc on that date.

truly, without her to govern my schedule i would be lost. cloning myself would help a lot to take care of scheduling issues.

I want to buy a Summoning album, not sure which one. Any recommendations?

Minas Morgul is a good one to start with, and is my personal favorite although everything I've heard of theirs has been good. Speaking of new albums, their new one is supposed to be excellent but I haven't checked it out yet.

shit...

my supreme schedule keeper aka kair informed me that i have a wedding for 75 people that day and cannot make horrendous or the dodger game in dc on that date.

Dammit! And now I really want to go to that show. As much as Satan's Satyrs + Midnight + Natur is made of win, Satan's Satyrs + Ilsa + Horrendous is EPIC WIN.

Dammit! And now I really want to go to that show. As much as Satan's Satyrs + Midnight + Natur is made of win, Satan's Satyrs + Ilsa + Horrendous is EPIC WIN.

yeah. reality rears it's ugly head once more and prevents me from having fun.

recently i have been urged to quit my job and dedicate myself to supporting the dc united and attending metal shows. perhaps i should start a kickstarter to see if anyone wants to finance this? i suppose if i make a documentary about a life of footy and headbanging people might get on board.

Minas Morgul is a good one to start with, and is my personal favorite although everything I've heard of theirs has been good. Speaking of new albums, their new one is supposed to be excellent but I haven't checked it out yet.

Thanks for the suggestions, I listened to parts of both albums last night and really liked what I heard. I couldn't decide though, so I'll probably just buy both of them.

Thanks for the suggestions, I listened to parts of both albums last night and really liked what I heard. I couldn't decide though, so I'll probably just buy both of them.

Cool! Glad you enjoy. They're one of my go-to ambient/black metal relaxation staples along with Agalloch and Alcest.

Cool! Glad you enjoy. They're one of my go-to ambient/black metal relaxation staples along with Agalloch and Alcest.

Agalloch and Alcest are great, some of my favorites actually. I usually listen to Alcest's newer stuff before going to sleep, it's pretty calming. And I just ordered Agalloch's Marrow of the Spirit the other day, hopefully it will be here soon so I can replay

forever. :D

Archived