Metal Thread VI: This One's For the OTTER

Xray the Enforcer

There are a couple of places that have a huge variety of patches online:

Hells Headbangers http://shop-hellshea..._heavy_doom.asp

Warhead Metal Store http://www.warheadshop.webs.com/p1.htm

I tend to go with embroidered rather than woven, but for some bands you don't have the choice...just whatever someone wanted to produce.

Avoid DAP666 (his store is one of the highest google results). Dude's a well-known ripoff, at least according to the many people he has ripped off at the metal forum I frequent.

As for my own vest, I am thinking it'll be black leather or maybe black denim. I just like the look. And it goes so well with BATTLEHAT.

If you want, we can go shopping for denim on Sunday. There are three very large and well-stocked thrift stores mere steps from Casa X. I was already stalking their denim jacket rack specifically looking for battle jacket candidates.

ETA: do you know what kind of Maiden back patch you want? I've found a few online so far.

As for my own vest, I am thinking it'll be black leather or maybe black denim. I just like the look. And it goes so well with BATTLEHAT.

If you want, we can go shopping for denim on Sunday. There are three very large and well-stocked thrift stores mere steps from Casa X. I was already stalking their denim jacket rack specifically looking for battle jacket candidates.

sweet. i am there.

operation: battle vest is in full effect. yesterday i bought a bunch of patches online. i am struck with the question of why i did not do this earlier? like as in 20 years ago?

Lack of a good internet to buy them online? Make up for lost time and just rock it like you're 20 years ago.

Lack of a good internet to buy them online? Make up for lost time and just rock it like you're 20 years ago.

fear not. i usually alway rock in such a fashion.

:cheers:

Another rec for those who like Metal ov Death, check out the new Verminous album. Here's track 2.

ETA: MC -- which patches do you have so far?

obviously i love this band...cause i love metal of death.

and for the patches i bought cannibal corpse, celtic frost, goatwhore, pagan altar and morbid angel.

last Amon Amarth album is totally about ASOIAF!

... well, actually as usual it's about Norse mythology, but take a look at this titles:

3. Father Of The Wolf (Ned Stark?)

4. Shape Shifter (about warging?)

5. Under Siege (the siege of Storm's End? or the Battle of the Blackwater?)

6. Blood Eagle (Orell's eagle attacking Jon Snow?)

9. Coming Of The Tide (Victarion's theme?)

10. Warriors Of The North (well, this is too obvious, read these lyrics:

We were the warriors of the north

Notorious and brave

We'd never lost a fight in war

We feared not the grave

and then again:

Winters come, winters pass

Twenty wasted years

We're ageing men, our youth is gone

We will shed no tears

yeah!)

Second day of Martyrdoom II destroyed. Bestial Mockery laid waste, Shitfucker brought the sleeze, Morpheus Descends triumphed and I discovered a new and completely killer death metal band, Morgengrau. I wasn't the only one who was impressed with them -- pretty much everyone I talked to said thing like, "I had never heard of this band before they were on the bill, and holyshit did they bring the metal." I spoke with the guitarist/vocalist Erika and drummer Reba after the set and fangirled for awhile. Also bought a shirt so they had some gas money to get back to Texas.

Wondering what Burzum album i should buy?

Suggestions?

That's actually up to you.

First one to get the vibe and straight-forward stuff. "Hvis lyset tar os" for atmosphere and epicness (would consider it a littleeeee bit better than "Det som engang var" which is a transition album, but it's a good mixture of the first and the third one).

Filosofem is freaking art house black metal and a nihilistic milestone, but maybe not the right one to start with.

The Aske-EP is also a good choice to start with. Every Burzum album is great as long as you stay away from the stuff he recorded on a Hitachi-Keyboard in prison.

Meh, I guess that didn't really help. So buy the fucking first one. "My Journey to the Stars" is one of my all-time favourite metal songs.

That's actually up to you.

First one to get the vibe and straight-forward stuff. "Hvis lyset tar os" for atmosphere and epicness (would consider it a littleeeee bit better than "Det som engang var" which is a transition album, but it's a good mixture of the first and the third one).

Filosofem is freaking art house black metal and a nihilistic milestone, but maybe not the right one to start with.

The Aske-EP is also a good choice to start with. Every Burzum album is great as long as you stay away from the stuff he recorded on a Hitachi-Keyboard in prison.

Meh, I guess that didn't really help. So buy the fucking first one. "My Journey to the Stars" is one of my all-time favourite metal songs.

That sums it up perfectly :D

Yeah, i think i'll buy Filosofem and maybe Fallen.

I agree with Xasthur, you really can't go wrong with any Burzum album besides the jail ones. And as for My Journey to the Stars... that intro is one of the most badass moments in music.

Anyhoo I really haven't followed metal much since maybe 2009, other than picking up new albums from my favorites. Any interesting new modes? Did Black Metal become even more artier and noise-infused? Did metalcore wane yet? Did slam death become even more slamier? Any great new subgenres?

Archived