Metal Thread VI: This One's For the OTTER

Xray the Enforcer

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm not the biggest metal fan, I've gone in and out in phases of modern-ish metal, but after seeing Black Sabbath a couple days ago I found this webpage; unsure if it's been posted before:

WARNING: Bigass image behind this link!

I find it rather interesting, if a bit inaccurate even as an outside perspective! I think I just straight do not like Death or Black Metal, as much as I like the ideas of powerfulness and atmosphere. Basically everything in that black area is just rather obnoxious to me, whereas bordering is generally what I'm interested in. I dunno, I just think it's an interesting conversation piece, regardless of how you might scoff at some of the classifications. Makes you think about the genres!

The funny thing I find about the chart isthat I doubt many people are going to disagree with it, even if so blatantly wrong in places because it's simply so expansive and functional. Like Djent should be a Prog Metal offshoot, right? Yet it's nestled in the back of the black nest which is Death Metal. Prog Metal meanwhile seems to have little impact on the whole structure of things, and also the "subgenre" division. It's still great to look at though and discuss!

the map looks cool.

but, i cannot take it too seriously. there are some things i like xray disagree with regarding genres and the like, but whatever. i have never really been one of the metal elitist who worried to much about what band is what genre. i just like the metal that i like.

tonight it was decrepit birth while i napped on the train. fuck, i love that band. they are soothing to me.

I remember seeing that map a long time ago, but I don't remember it having any music to accompany it. Pretty cool. It being a map does kind of inhibit how to portray the 'genre-fication' of metal, namely some genres don't lead directly into others, but are more a conglomerate of tons of other styles some of which don't really have much in common. That leads to some odd placements on the map, but whatever, YMMV, TLDR, cool map. :)

I just listened to the band Take Over and Destroy's new album, Endless Night. I'd never heard of them before and I can't seem to find much info on them so I'm not sure if it's their debut or something, but it was on Spotify and it was only like 30 minutes long so it wasn't too much of an investment if it turned out to be shit. It's kinda raunchy, riffy stoner-ish metal in the vein of High On Fire (but with more Satan) and I loves me some stoner metal. It was good, a very enjoyable slab of rugged aggression with some pretty kickin riffs, guitar solos and tortured vocals.

Thrash gems often overlooked by people who just love Metallica:

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death

Absolutely brutal mid 80s thrash. Some unreal riffs. Makes Kreator and Slayer sound like the spice girls.

Artillery - By Inheritence

Imagine if Dio sang for Megadeth and the band sounded more European. Absolutely outstanding thrash.

Sepultura - schizophrenia/Beneath the Remains/Arise

Top 10 of all time thrash albums. Fuck Chaos AD. It didn't happen.

Dark Angel - Darkness Decends

Incredibly famous but still overlooked. Gene Hoglan is an insane drummer. He taught Dave Lombardo how to be amazing.

Courtesy of MinDonner:

-- I LOL'd for real on a couple of these.

W gets the serious side-eye, though, because 1) it's bullshit and 2) the creators missed a comedic goldmine by ignoring War Metal. "GOATS AND GASMASKS. SATAN WILL SODOMIZE HUMANITY" *sound of machine-gun fire* I mean, come the fuck on. One of the most prominent war metal bands is called Goat Penis. That deserves as much a public mocking as rap metal does -- and this is coming from someone who likes Blasphemy.

Courtesy of MinDonner:

-- I LOL'd for real on a couple of these.

W gets the serious side-eye, though, because 1) it's bullshit and 2) the creators missed a comedic goldmine by ignoring War Metal. "GOATS AND GASMASKS. SATAN WILL SODOMIZE HUMANITY" *sound of machine-gun fire* I mean, come the fuck on. One of the most prominent war metal bands is called Goat Penis. That deserves as much a public mocking as rap metal does -- and this is coming from someone who likes Blasphemy.

This had me loling hard at work, good find MinD and thanks for the share.

Kitty metal was underwhelming but I think I could really get into Latin/Yiddish metal. Kind of a shame Stoner Metal was left off the list in favor of some of the jokes like Zelda.

Archived