Could Stannis bend the knee to a Targaryen?

Ser TargFinger

If Stannis were to be put in a situation where he had the choice to kneel to a Targ, he would have already lost the war of conquest, no? Because hell yes he would fight til the bitter end. I do think he'd rather die than bend the knee and live as the loser of this battle. This is assuming the victorious Targ decided not to execute him for safety or revenge.

There are two things that I can see changing this. First is how fervent a believer he is in Mel's religion. If he can be shown that another is AA (as someone mentioned) he might serve them. I am not convinced he is a true believer, but I am also not sure that his pride would allow him to back down from his public stance as a believer. Does that make sense? He said he is a believer, and his word is good (or he wants people to think his word is good because that's his image).

The second thing is that it's possible he is offered a chance to take the Black. If he were defeated and facing death or dishonor, I think he would consider the Wall. I also think he would do well there, if (big if) he could adapt. I do think he would be broken, or near enough at that point that he could adjust and keep his personal honor by serving well. This is also assuming that the Night's Watch is still a functioning unit at the end of the story.

I think that Stannis is a just man, he is always trying to be cohesive with his actions (like taking of Davos' fingertips because of his years of outlawing, executing Theon because of the allegedly murdering of the stark children and so on), he didn't have the same level of intimacy that Robert had with Ned, however the text gives clues that he admires Ned's conduct, valor and honor code. I think that he can easily pass away his claim in favor of a good marriage for his daughter (if Daenerys bear children that could be offered as a marriage contract). He often says that this empire, this war, is Robert's thing, but if he ever finds that a eligible king or queen is out there, I don't think he is going to engage war against that one.

His claims against Renly and Lannister were based on eligibility, Renly was the youngest brother, next in succession, not the first, and Joffrey, Myrcela and Tommen aren't Robert's son, Stannis wouldn't engage a war against them if they had the right claim.

The hardest choice Stannis ever made was to pick his brother Robert over his King, Aerys. I think if a real Targaryen such as Dany came with her Dragons Stannis would indeed bend the king.

If you read the interactions between Stannis and Jon in ADWD its seems like Jon is just giving Stannis council in matters such as the Mountain Clans and which castle to attack first. But if you read between the lines Jon is pretty much acting like the King. Where Stannis is more the Kings Hand commanding Jon's force's. And then you read later where Jon clearly tells the Karstark girl that marriage pacts are for the King to deal with. Then he takes it upon himself to marry her to a Thenn.

Seems like Stannis has already bent his knee, he just doesn't know it yet. Remember Mel said Stannis was gunna lead the army's of AA. She thought it meant Stannis was AA but if Jon is then it works out perfect because Stannis is already leading Jon's forces

:agree:

I seriously doubt that Stannis will bend the knee, given his persistence and insistence of following laws. Despite this, there is a 5-10% chance that he will do it under the pretense that it is the best way he can serve and protect the realm (he went to the Wall with that reasoning, didn't he?). The situation with Jon actually opens up that possibility because they are very close to the threat of the Others which is a bigger issue than kingship. If he ever gets a first-hand experience of that threat in the future, I would think that is enough to reconsider everything, or at the very least put aside the issue until the threat is dealt with.

Also, we have to consider how much he actually likes Jon and how he will let it affect his decisions.

Bend the knee? Absolutely not. His enemies will have to defeat him in battle to get rid of him.

But if he was defeated in battle and then forced to choose between execution or taking the Black, I think he would join the NW. I think there is some foreshadowing in the text that suggests he will do just that by series end.

A Targaryan isn't the legal ruler any more. He is. So no I don't think he'd immediately bend the knee. But I think he'd certainly be more open to an alliance or deal, because they don't owe him fealty and so it wouldn't be a compromise.

I could see Stannis agreeing for someone Jon or Aegon (if he was actually real) to marry Shireen and for him to take the black. That way it's the union of two royal families and he's legally removed from the running and the good of the Kingdom is preserved.

I don't think he'd get along with Dany. Theres the whole asexual and awkward disinterest in women he as and he'd straight up disagree with things she did. Take the 163 children crucified thing. He'd have rounded up everyone involved, it could have been more or less than 163 then hanged or burnt them. He sees the difference between revenge and justice.

Yes, I definitely agree if it would benefit Shireen, he will bend the knee after some hard thinking, especially of the legality. Shireen's future is one of the reasons he can't back down from fighting for the throne, after all. He can't consent to the Tommen-Shireen marriage because of the incest issue.

Nah, I don't think he'd like Dany.

The Targaryens have no legal standing. The Baratheons defeated them and became the new royal family and are still technically recognized as such. This idea that Stannis would magically forget about the Targs LOSING the war just because he was originally reluctant to fight for Robert is kind of ridiculous, yet I see it time and time again.

Also, depending on how Targaryen agnatic primogeniture works, Stannis himself might still come before Dany, being a male of Targaryen descent.

So basically, hell no Stannis would not bend the knee. You're right that he'd follow the law; that law just happens to say that the Targs are shit out of luck.

I don't think Stannis would bend the knee either. In his eyes, he is the lawful heir to the throne (and it is true).

Interesting point made about Stannis basically directed by Jon. In my opinion, Jon is a natural-born leader and he has a great instinct for gauging people's emotions and reactions. I am hoping for Tyrion to bring Dany to Jon and for Jon to present her to Stannis in some way. We know that Tyrion has a respect for the NW and also a respect for Jon Snow, with whom he identifies. This would also satisfy my fervent need for Jon and Dany to be together, of course ;) I am eagerly awaiting to see Stannis's reaction to his long-lost cousin trying to take the Throne. While I highly doubt he will consider handing over his claim, I don't think he hates the Targaryens as his brother did.

The Targaryens have no legal standing. The Baratheons defeated them and became the new royal family and are still technically recognized as such. This idea that Stannis would magically forget about the Targs LOSING the war just because he was originally reluctant to fight for Robert is kind of ridiculous, yet I see it time and time again.

Also, depending on how Targaryen agnatic primogeniture works, Stannis himself might still come before Dany, being a male of Targaryen descent.

So basically, hell no Stannis would not bend the knee. You're right that he'd follow the law; that law just happens to say that the Targs are shit out of luck.

Well now my post is just useless and silly.

I think Stannis wants the crown more than anything else in life.

No, he doesn't want the crown. He only does his duty, because it's his by right. He specifically says so several times.

I someone with a better claim for the throne should appear, he might yield. As long as he believes to be the rightful king, he will not move an inch though.

Yup, as others have said. The throne IS his, it belongs to him. Anyone who does not bend the knee will die, if stannis is not sitting the iron throne at the end of all this its because he is dead.

Also, stannis is my god :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :commie: :commie: :commie:

Archived