US Politics: Elecciones Generales 8 De Noviembre, 2012

NestorMakhnosLovechild

A coalition of community, labor and good-government organizations is calling on the U.S. Office of Government Ethics to investigate GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney for noncompliance with the Ethics in Government Act and compel him to either disclose his investments or divest them.

"The American people have a right to know about Governor Romney's potential conflicts of interest, such as the profits his family made from the auto rescue," said UAW President Bob King. "It's time for Governor Romney to disclose or divest."

"While Romney was opposing the rescue of one of the nation's most important manufacturing sectors, he was building his fortunes with his Delphi investor group, making his fortunes off the misfortunes of others," King added.

The groups sending the complaint letter, including SEIU, UAW, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, Public Citizen, Public Campaign, People for the American Way and The Social Equity Group, believe that Romney's undisclosed stock holdings create serious conflicts of interest. They point to the auto rescue as a key example.

http://www.uaw.org/a...isclose-his-big

So, um, that's a thing that's happening.

I don't think I understand this argument. If you oppose something that's going to happen anyway, why would you not try to make the best of it?

It's not an attack on Romney's campaign (far too late for that I think) so much as it is "They are trying to charge him with violating campaign finance laws" or so I gather.

I'm saying that Republican operatives, not just the Fox chorus, also believe that the Democratic turnout will be worse than 2008. This worldview is reinforced by Rasmussen and Gallup. We may not agree with the Republican operatives but they're not dumb. They have reasons, hopefully flawed ones, for believing their worldview.

Those reasons make no sense though. They are "reasons" the same way "I don't like Mondays" is a reason.

I'm saying that we view Gallup and Rasmussen as outliers because they are out of the mainstream consensus and conclude that therefore they must be wrong. Someone with the alternative worldview can equally confidently argue that the other polls are all wrong all for the same reason, and the fact that there are more of them then makes no difference.

Our argument cannot be "we have ten polls on our side and they have two, therefore we must be right". There are two expected voter models and either the ten polls have the right assumptions or the two polls have the right assumptions. The only way to test these assumptions is not through more polling because you end up at the same dichotomy but by looking at early voting.

I brought up an article last night that had me worried about early voting to date but the resident experts seem assured that all is well. Still, I don't think what the data from the early voting is telling us is as clear as what the two possibilities from the different sets of polls are telling us.

I went back and reread Raidne's epic post of July 17th

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/70289-us-politics-the-romney-might-be-a-felon-edition/page__st__320#entry3402170

I think Raidne has summed this up elsewhere as Romney lied on his federal disclosure statement to an agency called the OGE and thus is non-compliant, but I can't figure out from her post what Romney's actual lie was?

I also can't really figure out what the penalty is for the lie? Jailtime? A Fine? Both?

Does lying on his disclosure statement make him ineligible for the office of president? Does he no longer qualify under federal law?

Can an amended Disclosure Statement be filed before the election or before the election is certified to bring him into compliance?

TNC makes a great little deconstruction of the attacks on Nate Silver here.

Scarborough has made a douche of himself. He does not seem to get that when Silver says the odds of an Obama win are +70% that does not mean that he doesn't believe it will be a close race in the popular vote.

But the two people, Byers and Chambers, that TNC references in that quote are much greater offenders.

Coffee-drinking NPR types of Seattle, San Francisco and Madison?

I do wonder what the legions of Republicans who live in the big coastal cities and drink coffee think of stuff like this.

Our argument cannot be "we have ten polls on our side and they have two, therefore we must be right". There are two expected voter models and either the ten polls have the right assumptions or the two polls have the right assumptions. The only way to test these assumptions is not through more polling because you end up at the same dichotomy but by looking at early voting.

Well, for starters those are all national polls. This is an EC contest, which brings us to stae polls. No one actually know which states are making up this deficit for Obama when you look at the state polls. It may just be that the national poll average is off, and this is driven by Gallup and Ras having a large say in the average.

Secondly, the national polls are now coming in line with state polls, and the two sides are nearly equal now.

And in the latest example of how congressional Republicans are utterly without integrity, we have this gem:

The Congressional Research Service has withdrawn an economic report that found no correlation between top tax rates and economic growth, a central tenet of conservative economy theory, after Senate Republicans raised concerns about the paper’s findings and wording.

The pressure applied to the research service comes amid a broader Republican effort to raise questions about research and statistics that were once trusted as nonpartisan and apolitical.

So in GOP-land if you don't like a report that shows how godawful your idiotic beliefs are, it's not the beliefs that are the problem, it's the report.

They don't like the "findings" and the "wording." What utterly worthless pieces of dung. Actually, no, I take that back. You can actually use dried dung to light a fire. So even a piece of shit is more useful than these jackasses.

:rofl:

And in the latest example of how congressional Republicans are utterly without integrity, we have this gem:

So in GOP-land if you don't like a report that shows how godawful your idiotic beliefs are, it's not the beliefs that are the problem, it's the report.

They don't like the "findings" and the "wording." What utterly worthless pieces of dung. Actually, no, I take that back. You can actually use dried dung to light a fire. So even a piece of shit is more useful than these jackasses.

:bang:

Gallup unemployment figures are out and they're good. Unemployment without seasonal adjustment down to 7.0 from 7.9 in September, with seasonal adjustment it is at 7.4, down from 8.1.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/158483/unadjusted-unemployment-down-october.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=gallupnews&utm_campaign=syndication

Hopefully this portends good numbers from BLS tomorrow!

it makes republicans sound like Communist Russia or Nazi Germany, Cute Cuddly and Kill-you-if-you-think-the-wrong-thought! ;)

It may just be that the national poll average is off, and this is driven by Gallup and Ras having a large say in the average.

They're just so damn certain. I know our certainty should trump theirs but because I cannot wrap my head around the idea that people are either willfully ignorant or utterly incompetent at their chosen profession, their certainty does plant a seed of doubt in my mind.

They're just so damn certain. I know our certainty should trump theirs but because I cannot wrap my head around the idea that people are either willfully ignorant or utterly incompetent at their chosen profession, their certainty does plant a seed of doubt in my mind.

Have you ever read the reports about what it was like on the floor at the McCain camp on election night? For the partiers I mean? There was no cell service and after about 8pm the campaign stopped provided election results. There was partying and dancing and everyone knew, knew that McCain had won. When he stepped up to the podium several hours later to give his concession speech they were shocked beyond all measure. They had no idea, and hadn't even thought it could happen. And this was 2008, when after September 17, it was absolutely clear that Obama was going to win in the closest thing we can have to a landslide these days.

Never underestimate the ability of the Republican party to deceive itself. By contrast, in 2010 most everyone on the left knew by mid-August that it was going to be a bad year. I think the scope of the disaster still caught some by surprise, but people went into that night with clear eyes.

The GOP is a party of fantasies. [it's people of color members doubly so IMO.]

Gallup unemployment figures are out and they're good. Unemployment without seasonal adjustment down to 7.0 from 7.9 in September, with seasonal adjustment it is at 7.4, down from 8.1.

http://www.gallup.co...ign=syndication

Hopefully this portends good numbers from BLS tomorrow!

No way can the numbers be that good. CEO's crying conspiracy won't sound so foolish this time!

Archived