US Politics: Elecciones Generales 8 De Noviembre, 2012

NestorMakhnosLovechild

@Redistrict

VIRGINIA EARLY VOTE: Obama strongholds Arlington -20.0%, Fairfax - 20.9%, Richmond -13.7% (vs. just -9.2% statewide). Hmm...

@Redistrict

VIRGINIA EARLY VOTE: In Romney strongholds, enthusiasm up. Hanover (33.1% Obama) turnout up 6.2%, Buchanan (coal country) up 14.5% vs. '08

Its hardly the happiest of endorsements (and frankly they weren't thrilled about doing it in 2008 either) but The Economist has once again endorsed Obama:

As a result, this election offers American voters an unedifying choice. Many of The Economist’s readers, especially those who run businesses in America, may well conclude that nothing could be worse than another four years of Mr Obama. We beg to differ. For all his businesslike intentions, Mr Romney has an economic plan that works only if you don’t believe most of what he says. That is not a convincing pitch for a chief executive. And for all his shortcomings, Mr Obama has dragged America’s economy back from the brink of disaster, and has made a decent fist of foreign policy. So this newspaper would stick with the devil it knows, and re-elect him.

We already decided Virginia early voting was a small fraction of the total...but still, it could be indicators that Dem enthusiasm is tampered in that must-win state for John McCain.

Yeah, there is basically no early voting in Virginia.

:lol:

This is hilarious. Scroll down and look at the map.

ETA: Link went down. Here's a look at the map.

Holy crap. I want to laugh, but then I think about all the Republicans who will believe this and so then believe that Obama had to have stolen the election. Their sources can't ever be wrong, because if their sources are so blatantly wrong, then that means they've been lied to and if they've been lied to about this what else have been lied to about? And down that path leads madness.

Since most of the people who will look at that map and believe it are already suffering from Obama Derangement Syndrome, instead of taking the common sense route of questioning their sources they will instead go further down the path of Derangement.

It frightens me what some of those people may do if they truly believe Obama stole the election.

I expressed much the same concern a month or two, possum. Some right-wingers, even elected officials, have blathered about "second amendment remedies" before. I really am concerned that, even if the comments were intended to just fire up the base, there might be some nutjobs who took them to heart.

It frightens me what some of those people may do if they truly believe Obama stole the election.

About 50% of Republicans believe that he stole the last election. That is insanity. Seriously, because a Democrat would never win when the GOP had held the White House for eight years and the economy was crumbling. No sir. That would never happen. It must have been stolen!

Yeah, there is basically no early voting in Virginia.

I wouldn't go that far. In 2008, it was 13.5% of all votes cast. That was higher than I expected. But it's still nowhere near what we have seen in states like NV, CO, NC, and IA, where the early vote was 60-80% of the total. In addition, for Obama to be underperforming against his 2008 effort, remember that he won the state by more than 6 points. He can do a little worse and still pull it out. I personally doubt that early voting is going to make the difference in VA. I have been contacted on two different occasions by the Obama GOTV effort, and neither of them pressured me to vote early.

Wonder if Silver factors in any of these into his model?

http://www.cracked.c...l-election.html

Looking pretty good for Obama, pending the Redskins game (and they're playing 1-6 Carolina).

Damn, beaten to the punch. And yeah, I think this Sunday will be the first time I'll be rooting for the Redskins since, well, 2008 I guess.

Archived