Dog advice.

Rolex Baratheon

Let me get this straight: you have two dogs which fight a lot already (your OP was dated 3rd December and they were still fighting then), and you want to introduce a fourth, female dog into the mix?

Ix would be better at answering as to whether or not this is a valid concern. Yet, I think for males the surgery is less invasive so there should be less complications. My boy bounced back very quickly (too quickly, we had to keep him calm until he was fully healed) and my girl took a little while longer.

Yeah, keeping two 7 month old Boxer pups "calm" at the same time for two weeks was immensely challenging to say the least.

ETA: Dude, your dogs are fighting and it's not going to get better unless you plan on devoting all your time to their exercise and training and separating them when no one is there to supervise them.

Would you rather risk one of them seriously maiming or killing the other?! The chances of that happening far outweigh the risks of having them fixed for fucks sake!

I have nothing particularly constructive to add to your post but just wanted to say I have fond memories of a friends Boxer when I was young, they are awesome dogs!! and if I ever got a dog I wouldn't even consider another breed, they are a bit loopy though :).

Are you trying to get into trouble or something? The fighting stopped some time back and they never injured each other. Seriously.

Anyhow this is a Dog Advice thread so I guess I can ask the question here; I got a 7 year old male spaniel and less than a year old golden retriever male and then an 8 or 8.5 year old female spaniel.... Would it be wise to get a 2 month old female pup in say, 3 or 4 months time, as a 4th dog? I'm considering it, because our new house has a big-enough sort of lawn.

No, it would not be wise. In fact, I think it would be extremely unwise.

You don't need any more dogs, Rolex. You're posting on an Internet message board asking advice about your aggressive dogs, then you disregard the advice you get, and it's coming from a vet. Now you want to get another dog.

Why not take up jogging or bird watching or something that doesn't inflict distress on an animal, for the love of Pete?

ETA: Seriously. This question of yours is pissing me off to no end. Rolex, you not only don't need another dog, I feel terrible for the dogs you have. The thought of you getting a puppy and bringing it into the craziness you describe is extremely upsetting to me.

Dude, first of all, I said high potential risk of serious injury if something isn't done to alleviate the situation.

Second, I'm wondering if you should be fixed before you reproduce as well.

Called it!

From page 2 of this thread...

No worries, I suspect that the odds of someone recommending that you be neutered rises exponentially with each new page of this thread...

Let me get this straight: you have two dogs which fight a lot already (your OP was dated 3rd December and they were still fighting then), and you want to introduce a fourth, female dog into the mix?

I'm asking if it would be wise, why can't anyone just answer straight instead of being all rotten about it. Idk what the rules on this board are but I'm pretty sure all the insults go against them so I'm not going to reply in kind again.

My friend got a lab female pup to go with this 4 year old male idk-what-breed-name and its 4 year old mate.

Yes or no? Doesn't a male's sex drive die down when he reaches a certain age? Or is my male just very weird. @Elder sister, I disregard the abusing and the baseless allegations, I don't disregard the actual advice =/ Heck, do males even breed with 2 month old pups? These are all questions of which I dont know the answer, and if abusing me for lack of knowledge isn't against the rules I guess it undermines the principle behind asking questions on a forum (example: small questions thread for ADWD).

So normal-toned answers, like one of the people above gave, would be really helpful.

why can't anyone just answer straight

Ixodes is a veterinarian and twice gave you advice tailored to your specific dogs and situation, once after your first post and again on this page. With perhaps one exception, the posters in this thread have agreed with him. Do you not like the advice you've been given?

Ixodes is a veterinarian and twice gave you advice tailored to your specific dogs and situation, once after your first post and again on this page. With perhaps one exception, the posters in this thread have agreed with him. Do you not like the advice you've been given?

Yes but if the last 6 pages are anything to go by people here have such a divided opinion I don't know which to believe. I think there were some other self proclaimed dog experts here who said neutering's A-okay and some others who said it causes bleeding.... Can't blame me for wanting general consensus seeing as I don't know who to believe.

Now what about you, are you an expert on dogs? Have you much experience with them? If not then I see the only purpose of you posting in this thread is to scold me for lack of knowledge. You didn't really answer the question.

@Elder sister, I disregard the abusing and the baseless allegations, I don't disregard the actual advice =/ Heck, do males even breed with 2 month old pups? These are all questions of which I dont know the answer, and if abusing me for lack of knowledge isn't against the rules I guess it undermines the principle behind asking questions on a forum (example: small questions thread for ADWD).

So normal-toned answers, like one of the people above gave, would be really helpful.

You are being called out because of your negligent, thoughtless manner with regards to your dogs. And I will tell you; people have been remarkably civil in here, all things considered.

I'm asking if it would be wise, why can't anyone just answer straight instead of being all rotten about it. Idk what the rules on this board are but I'm pretty sure all the insults go against them so I'm not going to reply in kind again.

My friend got a lab female pup to go with this 4 year old male idk-what-breed-name and its 4 year old mate.

Yes or no? Doesn't a male's sex drive die down when he reaches a certain age? Or is my male just very weird. @Elder sister, I disregard the abusing and the baseless allegations, I don't disregard the actual advice =/ Heck, do males even breed with 2 month old pups? These are all questions of which I dont know the answer, and if abusing me for lack of knowledge isn't against the rules I guess it undermines the principle behind asking questions on a forum (example: small questions thread for ADWD).

It would not be wise for you to get anymore dogs.

It would be wise for you to neuter your male dog if you are open to the idea, not neutering him will require a lot of hard unnecessary work for you.

Male dogs normally don't breed with females dogs before their first heat cycle.

I have never had a male dog that lost his sex drive as he aged.

Yes but if the last 6 pages are anything to go by people here have such a divided opinion I don't know which to believe. I think there were some other self proclaimed dog experts here who said neutering's A-okay and some others who said it causes bleeding.... Can't blame me for wanting general consensus seeing as I don't know who to believe.

Now what about you, are you an expert on dogs? Have you much experience with them? If not then I see the only purpose of you posting in this thread is to scold me for lack of knowledge. You didn't really answer the question.

No, I think there was general consensus that while spaying or neutering, like all operations, carry some risks, the risks of not doing so with your dogs were far greater. As a pet owner, would I take Ixodes' advice? Yes, definitely. My purpose in posting was to ask you to clarify your situation, which you did somewhat, and to ask you if you had a problem with his advice, which you didn't answer.

I'm assuming that I'm the one exception to which you were referring, For the record, I do not disagree with spaying or neutering pets, nor did I disagree with Ixodes' advice. My comments were misunderstood.

I'm assuming that I'm the one exception to which you were referring, For the record, I do not disagree with spaying or neutering pets, nor did I disagree with Ixodes' advice. My comments were misunderstood.

Fair enough, my apologies.

I've had dogs all my life. The dog I had as a child we didn't spay and when she was around 7 had come down with a serious infection that almost killed her. She ended up needing a hysterectomy and while she recovered it was a long road for her.

Since then I've gotten all my dogs spayed or neutered, they're sore for a couple days, on pain meds for about a week, then after that they completely bounce back happy and healthy.

If you are truly concerned about the procedure, do some good research on the vets in your area, whatever you do don't go to a vet that works out of a Petsmart or Petco, find one with good recommendations and your dogs will be fine.

Rolex - since you're asking again, I thought maybe some outside sources would be helpful. Granted, I agree with the advice you've received from Ixodes and others here. My dog was spayed after her first heat cycle, and has never shown that extreme level of aggression since.

Forgive me if you've already come across this stuff in your research: (And I'm posting from my phone so I can't edit the links with fancy names - sorry)

Webmd - spay/neuter FAQ http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/spaying-or-neutering-your-dog-faq

ASPCA http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/dog-care-spay-neuter.aspx

I hope you find this helpful. And I'm sure there is a ton of pro/con stuff out there. These were just the first 2 that came up in my search.

You are being called out because of your negligent, thoughtless manner with regards to your dogs. And I will tell you; people have been remarkably civil in here, all things considered.

Excuse me if I laugh. "Ignorant, stupid, BS" this is remarkably civil? By what standards? It isn't, I don't care if its probably the 'old-timers' group like every forum seems to have, and I've no problem with it except the ones who used expletives, being rude is being rude.

Angalin negligent and thoughtless manner regarding my dogs? I ask specific questions on how to solve issues regarding them on an online forum and you call me negligent? Seriously? Didn't I already explain myself before? If I didn't care about the dogs I wouldn't be asking how to stop them fighting. And I missed lots of the pages of this thread.

I recently got an inbox from some random user telling me to ignore the insult I've been facing in this thread. I'd do it if the insulting wasn't mixed with genuine concern shown by some people who seem to be dog lovers. I think I should take that person's advice. I'll make one thing clear: getting a new dog isn't careless or negligent or anything. I seriously don't know the cultural perception of obtaining new pets in the places you guys are from, but you know what I'll be understanding and not close mended and actually try to accept the fact that stuff like views on pets change with various peoples. I suggest you do the same.

Well I took the advice, guess I'd better wait for some person to come and politely tell me I'm a stupid retard for not getting a new pup XD

Angalin negligent and thoughtless manner regarding my dogs?

That depends. Are you getting them neutered/spayed? If no, you are negligent, if yes, then you are not negligent. It's really, really simple. I have no idea why this even seems complicated to you since your problem has an extremely simple solution.

Excuse me if I laugh. "Ignorant, stupid, BS" this is remarkably civil? By what standards? It isn't, I don't care if its probably the 'old-timers' group like every forum seems to have, and I've no problem with it except the ones who used expletives, being rude is being rude.

Angalin negligent and thoughtless manner regarding my dogs? I ask specific questions on how to solve issues regarding them on an online forum and you call me negligent? Seriously? Didn't I already explain myself before? If I didn't care about the dogs I wouldn't be asking how to stop them fighting. And I missed lots of the pages of this thread.

I recently got an inbox from some random user telling me to ignore the insult I've been facing in this thread. I'd do it if the insulting wasn't mixed with genuine concern shown by some people who seem to be dog lovers. I think I should take that person's advice. I'll make one thing clear: getting a new dog isn't careless or negligent or anything. I seriously don't know the cultural perception of obtaining new pets in the places you guys are from, but you know what I'll be understanding and not close mended and actually try to accept the fact that stuff like views on pets change with various peoples. I suggest you do the same.

Well I took the advice, guess I'd better wait for some person to come and politely tell me I'm a stupid retard for not getting a new pup XD

Yes, Rolex, it has been remarkably civil. It has not gotten personal. This is your thread. Your OP plus subsequent posts stated these facts: You have dogs that you refuse to spay, even though you have stated that they fight. You have dogs that you refuse to spay even though you've been responsible for bringing 30+ puppies into the world. Then you get furious when people address these two problems. And no one in this thread has called you names; people have addressed the two issues that I just stated, and your refusal to deal with these two issues.

Now you post that you're thinking of getting a female puppy. I am totally puzzled why you think this is a good idea. Please put aside the hurt feelings and consider your dogs and what is good for them. Please have your dogs spayed if you don't want more puppies. Please don't bring a fourth dog into this equation. You say you are a responsible, caring dog owner. Please do the right thing by your animals.

ETA: I'm not an old timer in this forum; I'm a noob, Rolex. I'm simply a passionate animal lover like the others in this thread who have posted.

Archived