Who has the Wall?

SaltSmokeAndSnow

First OP.

Here's my thought/question:

With Jon Snow "dead" and removed from command, who do we think the conspiritors had in mind to take command of the Wall? And more importantly, how is all of this going to affect the tension between the black brothers and the Wildlings?

Jon seemed like the glue that held that relationship together. Of course, he was the only one in favor joining forces...

So, remove the fact that we as readers know (to 99.9% certainty) that Jon will return, or just not die from his wounds; would his death lead to another battle between the Watch and Wildlings? And if so, what was the point of removing Lord Snow AFTER the wildlings passed through the Wall, rather than before...

Thanks.

I think the popular belief is that with Jon incapacitated (regardless of how exactly), the old Watch (the old ones against Snow), the young Watch (those with snow), the Wildlings and the Queen's men are in for a bit of a battle before any new Lord Commander is to be chosen.

Ser Alliser, returning from ranging.

"I hate his guts, but the bastard was right. Any wildling that did not come through is Others wight now. What? You offed him? That was my prerogative!"

Chop

Would be pretty cool thing actually, Thorne becoming 999th LC. Despite all his failings, he would at least be hard enough to hold the Wall together and with fresh Ranging under his belt (and wight's hand with him on the way to KL) he might be in the position to realise the danger and necessity to cooperate with Wildlings.

The watch is pretty much done. Melisandre will probably escape and Jon (or Jon's body) will be smuggled away during the fighting which is about to ensue. Once the fighting is over, the wildlings which remain will journey south and start causing problems for every one north of the neck.

Any guesses on whether or not Stannis's wife will get out alive?

Queene Selyse will be buggered to death by Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun. Seriously, yes I think she dies. A couple key members of her party should live; maybe the daughter and a knight or two.

I agree that the NW is essentially over. If not over, than on the verge of being obsolete. But, I dont think they know that just yet. They stabbed Jon like a pin cushion "for the watch."

So what do the now key players in the NW think their next move is? Do they attack the wildlings right away? Try to catch them in their cups and possibly unawares? Or is there a replacement LC who can maintain peace until they can convince the wildlings to take vanguard in the battle against the wights...

Option 1: Ser Alliser. See above - he is hard enough and ranging can make him re-evaluate the Wildlings thing.

Option 2: Marsh. No way in hell, "Young Watch" would not go for it, regardless of the Order and Rangers definitely won't go for it.

Option 3: Tormund the Many Titled. i guess the "no sons" clause would turn him away from joining the NW though. OTOH he has authority over the Wildlings and he may have grudging respect of Rangers, so he may "have the Wall" de facto, while de iure it would be Jon.

Option 4: Leathers. He is a member of NW, respected among the Wildlings AND at least some Rangers, hard fighter, presumably good leader. Might be an useful compromise between the Watch (unimaginable to leave the Wall to someone not of the NW) and the Wildlings. Again, probably not as "de iure" commander (no time to hold the vote etc.), but potentially good one.

This presumes the Watch will try to act their role though. If not, then chaos ensues.

The 998th LC is incapacitated. I guess 999th will "lose the Wall" OR will find out the real deal about Others.

1000th generally rebuilds NW. Or disbands. My bet is on Sam the Slayer for No. 1000 ;)

No one for now, because Jon just got ''killed'', he's alive, the Wildling will attack Marsh and his minions for the deed, and the Wall will fall, because no one is leader and I think people will start to desert the NW, after two murder of LC, Old Bear and Jon (Jon's alive of course)

And that when the Others will come to cross the Wall and his wights

the NW is over for now

I think there will be chaos. The Old Watch killed off a well liked Lord Commander, because he betrayed the Watch and was going to lead a Wildling Army south. But the Old Watch has no authority. The Young Watch would probably not accept the way Jon behaved, but they liked him, and for them his murder would be unforgivable. And the Wildlings made a deal with Jon, with him dead, there's a risk they'll just start marching south. And then we of course have the Queen and her men as an extra Joker, and who knows what mischief they are up to, especially since they probably won't get any instructions from Stannis for quite some time.

I think Jon will return late in Winds to pick of the last pieces of the Watch after the Wall falls. The Night Watch need to be recreated from scratch, and Jon is still the one to do that.

I think Bowen Marsh is the ringleader and inteneded to replace Jon until another vote is held. But I frankly think the watch is going to be destroyed in the aftermath of what has just happened. I do not think there will be another leader.

Following the line of command it should be Bowen leading CB in the short wake however depend on how he handles the fallout of Jon death he could be killed before he takes power.

The one man who can really save the NW right now is Ser Denys he's the only real authority left on the wall but he's pretty far from CB so alot can happen before he could possibly restore order.

This is Selyse's chance to seize control of Castle Black, and the Wall. She'll choose the new Lord Commander. She understands the Night's Watch about as well as she understands the WIldlings, ... But that will not stop her.

Archived