Confessions Game Edition Vol.2

The Great Walrus

Isnt there one already? I was thrown out of it early on, unfortunately.

It wasn't really a "rethinking" thread; there's a few of us who have been posting analysis along "rethinking" lines, but the organization of the thread isn't really conducive to what a "rethink" means. A "rethinking" isn't about advocacy for a character to persuade others to "like" the character; it's about intensive textual analysis from a fairy neutral standpoint to draw conclusions from the text rather than preconceived notions of what the character is "supposed to be."

If there is a single character who needs a "rethink" it is Dany. Having spent a great deal of time in various Dany arguments, it's become really clear that discourse about her character needs to be approached vastly differently than it has been. Both her supporters and detractors evaluate her by a rubric that doesn't honestly pertain to what her character actually tells us.

I disagree-the usual folks will turn up and even with the best possible intentions, the whole will go to hell in a handbasket.

This doesn't just pertain to her detractors, though. There's a lot of pro-Dany arguments that appeal to her potential rather than the character we actually see. A complete revision of expectations and traditional "good and bad" would really benefit the subject of Dany . This is why there is so much vitriol between pros and antis on this particular subject. I think both sides view things in a way that is not entirely honest to her character.

ETA, revised something that sounded unintentionally pedantic

It wasn't really a "rethinking" thread; there's a few of us who have been posting analysis along "rethinking" lines, but the organization of the thread isn't really conducive to what a "rethink" means. A "rethinking" isn't about advocacy for a character to persuade others to "like" the character; it's about intensive textual analysis from a fairy neutral standpoint to draw conclusions from the text rather than preconceived notions of what the character is "supposed to be."

Oh, I see.

I hate Tywin threads. Somehow rape always gets defended as a justifiable tactic to teach people lessons. They might be worse than Cat hate threads.

This is the worst one I've seen for a while. You're doing a great job for what it's worth. I don't have the patience at the moment!

I hate Tywin threads. Somehow rape always gets defended as a justifiable tactic to teach people lessons. They might be worse than Cat hate threads.

There was a person that said he was a better father than Lord Tarly because of this. That his ordering the gang rape of a thirteen year old girl was fine because it didn't physically harm Tyrion. Could not fucking believe it.

This is the worst one I've seen for a while. You're doing a great job for what it's worth. I don't have the patience at the moment!

Yea, I mean I sat out of the "Roose's rapings are a human character flaw" thread, so I feel I ought to do my part in this one. But it's still annoying and I'm trying to write an OP at the same time.

There was a person that said he was a better father than Lord Tarly because of this. That his ordering the gang rape of a thirteen year old girl was fine because it didn't physically harm Tyrion. Could not fucking believe it.

jfc

I confess that I too would like to a Sansa thread without the usual suspects showing up, both pro and con.

I confess that I am sick of 'who would you like to end up with who' threads.

I confess that I am intimidated by ab's posts.

I confess that I rewatched 'Blackwater' last night and gained a little bit more respect for TV Stannis, not book Stannis.

Yea, I mean I sat out of the "Roose's rapings are a human character flaw" thread, so I feel I ought to do my part in this one. But it's still annoying and I'm trying to write an OP at the same time.

Urgh. I'd almost forgotten about that one. I just... I find it hard to accept that people actually believe these things...

Urgh. I'd almost forgotten about that one. I just... I find it hard to accept that people actually believe these things...

It might be over, thank god. OAR just had the most priceless response. I honestly can't believe the things that are argued. I really wish sometimes there was a bit more reflection before clicking on post.

I dont think they do though, people say things over the internet they normally wouldnt say. Something about being protected by complete anonymity can make people dicks.

Archived