Heresy 36

Black Crow

A trio, no less, GRRM's favorite number, it seems :thumbsup:

Warning: crazy yoga related post on balance coming your way.

I don't know if Fire and Ice annihilating each other brings balance. You need both for balance. It's when one encroaches on another/is disproportionate to the other that imbalance occurs. Opposing forces make the balance. For instance, if you're doing yoga and you're in Warrior 3, you need to reach in one direction with your arms and in the opposite direction with your leg to stay balanced. If one outreaches the other, you lose balance/fall. So, pulling in opposite directions keeps you balanced, in this case.

So, in this magic realm, which one is disproportionate? I think I already asked in this Heresy - is fire/red lot more powerful/numerous than ice at the moment? There are but few White Walkers about... the Children are also few.

I am starting to think that it's not so much that there is too much Fire or too little Ice in the world, but rather that Man is still controlling the forces of Fire. Man needs to simply let Ice and Fire be (ie stop battling with the White Walkers, stop attempting to control Dragons) and balance will be restored to the world...

In a nutshell: Man needs to stop using Magic to impose its will upon Nature

I think this is quite probable.

Bringing the Drowned God into it:

We know that the Iron Born are descendents of the First Men. As such, a reasonable assumption to make is that at some point they too worshiped the Old Gods along with their brethren. If the Hammer of the Waters caused the flooding of land that those particular tribes live on, it's certainly possible that one or more weirwood thrones (with the corresponding greenseers) were lost beneath the waves, hence them becoming "drowned gods" which, over time, (d)evolved into The Drowned God

Could it be that the Ironborn and their Drowned God is what is left of the original, unknown faith of the First Men, before they inherited the Old Gods from the Children? Maybe the Ironborn have never took up the Old Gods...

Also, Heresy 37 beckons :laugh:

ETA: Yeah, I agree with you Tyryan, it's not the two forces that are out of whack, it's humans that are mucking things up, per usual...

Yeah, that was my first guess for ice & fire, but...magic seems so much more varied than just ice and fire, so how do we justify singling those two out?

All other Magics are either an insertion of an aspect of Nature or Man into Ice/Fire or a perversion of Ice/Fire (ie Mel's whole "shadows are a servant of the Light" thing)?

I wonder of the Freehold of Valyria in general knew something the Targs didn't,as does Tyrion;

"The Freehold's grasp had reached as far as Dragonstone,but never to the mainland of Westeros.Odd,that.Dragonstone is no more than a rock.The wealth was west,but they had dragons.Surely they knew that it was there."

To answer my own post,I doubt they stopped there for political reasons,or military ones.I reckon they drew the line there because they realized there was serious opposition to their "fire and blood" magic.A lesson probably learned at Hardhome.

Pity they didn't mention it to the Targs.

And so the Freehold stayed safe with what they knew :smug:

......until they all got blown up.

A trio, no less, GRRM's favorite number, it seems :thumbsup:

Warning: crazy yoga related post on balance coming your way.

I don't know if Fire and Ice annihilating each other brings balance. You need both for balance. It's when one encroaches on another/is disproportionate to the other that imbalance occurs. Opposing forces make the balance. For instance, if you're doing yoga and you're in Warrior 3, you need to reach in one direction with your arms and in the opposite direction with your leg to stay balanced. If one outreaches the other, you lose balance/fall. So, pulling in opposite directions keeps you balanced, in this case.

So, in this magic realm, which one is disproportionate? I think I already asked in this Heresy - is fire/red lot more powerful/numerous than ice at the moment? There are but few White Walkers about... the Children are also few.

I think it's not necessarily about numbers. Building on the idea that the Wall is causing the imbalance, one possibility is that without mixing both sides build up excess power (summer/winter coming depending on the relative powers at any time), whereas if they can mix, they partially extinguish one another, but once they both diminished (but not completely eradicated), they won't bother each other anymore. Not sure what 'power' is, though.

All other Magics are either an insertion of an aspect of Nature or Man into Ice/Fire or a perversion of Ice/Fire (ie Mel's whole "shadows are a servant of the Light" thing)?

Yeah, that makes sense.

I wonder what the Undying are, then? Should be some sort of 'nature' magic, as the ice/fire doesn't seem to fit...

Black Crow asleep? Heresy 37, where are you?

Well, considering that we just (like only in the past hour or two) made some really great observations about the Song, I'd think that he has quite a bit of rewriting to do on that intro of his

Earth and Water = Nature

Bronze and Iron = Man

Ice and Fire = Magic

or

Earth and Water=Mud

Iron and Bronze=Bronzyiron or ironicbronze

Ice and Fire=Steam

Now where's the magic in that? :leaving:

Archived