Small questions v.10000

Angalin

Is it possible that the deserters from the Night's Watch Stiv and Wallen, who are found in the wolfswood with Osha during the attack on Bran in AGOT are from Benjen Starks company? After all, we don't know if any other brothers of NW deserted or knew of the Others except Gared, and Stiv and Wallen speak of the white walkers. Surely they were part of the Benjen Stark co to have known about the Others?

Very possible, I'd say; In that they appeared after Benjen headed out, after he was due back, but before Othor and Jafer Flowers were found.

Benjen took 6 rangers with him but we only know the names and fate of 2 of them.

Can anyone think of a time where Catelyn thinks about Lyanna in her POVs? Or is she just a firm believer in the whole kidnapping theory?

The only time I can remember is when she and Jaime are talking about Brandon. It was just a brief mention; Brandon was on his way to Riverrun for the wedding when he heard about Lyanna.

I'm fairly sure she said he was on his way for the wedding, but you'd think Ned et al would also be on their way.

The only time I can remember is when she and Jaime are talking about Brandon. It was just a brief mention; Brandon was on his way to Riverrun for the wedding when he heard about Lyanna.

I'm fairly sure she said he was on his way for the wedding, but you'd think Ned et al would also be on their way.

Ned would have been coming from The Vale I think, not Winterfell. But yes that's the only time Catlyen thinks about Lyanna that I could find.

Ned would have been coming from The Vale I think, not Winterfell. But yes that's the only time Catlyen thinks about Lyanna that I could find.

He would (presumably Robert, Jon Arryn would also attend), but Rickard, Benjen and Lyanna would've been coming from (presumably) Winterfell. Perhaps she took the opportunity of the journey south the slip away with Rhaegar.

These aren't, however, small questions, so I should save this pondering for another thread.

He's already killing Jon Arryn's son with the sweetsleep. Remember the maester cautions him that too much built up in the system can be fatal, and later seems really concerned about Robert potentially bleeding from the nose. As for the Lannisters removing him from power, what Lannisters? All that's left is Cersei (Jamie being pro-Sansa), and he's already spoken about "removing her."

i meant the people who still got power on kings landing and those who support tommen on the iron throne because they still think LF is working for them trying to win the support of the vale. i completely forgot about the sweetsleep. the question still remains about what does LF want.

got another question: is benerro supposed to be the leader among all the red priests or just in volantis?

Do members of the kingsguard have to fight only with a sword? Have there been any members/is it possible for there to be members who choose a bow and arrow, or an axe over the sword?

They can fight with whatever weapon they choose, but swords are easier to carry around and the preferred weapons.

He would (presumably Robert, Jon Arryn would also attend), but Rickard, Benjen and Lyanna would've been coming from (presumably) Winterfell. Perhaps she took the opportunity of the journey south the slip away with Rhaegar.

These aren't, however, small questions, so I should save this pondering for another thread.

Lyanna and possibly Benjen are more likely to still be in the south. Lyanna is likely to have stayed in the south after Harrenhal, possibly at the Whent's (her soon-to-be cousins), Riverrun itself (soon to be in-laws), or even KL, learning southron ways and building relationships. She is, after all, destined to become the Lady Baratheon, first lady of the Stormlands.

If that's the case then both Paxter and Mathis are Mace's in-laws.

Paxter is Mace's cousin and his brother in law. Mathis is (we're assuming) married to Mace's cousin, so I'm not sure this would count him as an "in law"?

Not by my definition and in a close feudal society, where everyone is intermarried to some degree, I would be surprised too.

Was Minisa Whent Oswell Whent's sister?

It doesn't say, but they're of the same generation (or close enough) and you would think Minisa would be the daughter of the Lord, since she made such a good match in the LP of her region.

i meant the people who still got power on kings landing and those who support tommen on the iron throne because they still think LF is working for them trying to win the support of the vale. i completely forgot about the sweetsleep. the question still remains about what does LF want.

got another question: is benerro supposed to be the leader among all the red priests or just in volantis?

I'm thinking all.

Mel is on her own journey however and I dont think Thoros is taking orders from Volantis. LIke Episcopalians?

The sweetsleep seems to be a way for the little lord to remain presentable for a guy who really doesnt care if he lives or dies of it because he presumes Robin will die. Too bad the maester doesnt wear a link for pediatrics and pseudoseizures - not all sickly children die or fail to recover normal strength. His body isnt seen yet. And Robin complained of something vile in his milk so more is going on than we know perhaps. THe maester has Robin's well being as his first priority.

My bad. Obsidian works. Dragonsteel whatever it is also works.

Isn't it more or less accepted that Dragon steel is Valyrian steel? Modern people call it Valyrian steel because most if not all of it comes from Valyria, but back in the time of the Long Night Valyria might not even have existed yet. It's also likely that the Valyrians themselves didn't call it "Valyrian steel."

Isn't it more or less accepted that Dragon steel is Valyrian steel? Modern people call it Valyrian steel because most if not all of it comes from Valyria, but back in the time of the Long Night Valyria might not even have existed yet. It's also likely that the Valyrians themselves didn't call it "Valyrian steel."

There are pro's and con's, but one of the main points is that exactly because Valyria didn't exist during the long night it cannot be Valyrian steel. I don't find it really likely that the knowledge of forging Valyrian steel would predate Valyria, but I am still undecided on the matter.

I agree with your theory on the name swaps. I think Valyrian steel is just the modern name for dragonsteel. Mainly because at this point in the story we have yet to see even half of the Valyrian blades that have been brought up, theres no way GRRM has set these blades up for no reason. All the heroes will find these lost swords accordingly for when it goes down. Otherwise whats the point?

Archived