Small questions v.10000

Angalin

No. But it's the only sword we ever hear about that's really glowing by itself. Then again, I don't share the theory, it's just the most likely literal one, imo.

Agreed. If Dawn fits on the prophecy at all, I think it might be the "bleeding star". Has anyone thought of this? (I am sure someone must have).

Agreed. If Dawn fits on the prophecy at all, I think it might be the "bleeding star". Has anyone thought of this? (I am sure someone must have).

A wounded Dayne as bleeding star? I've seen worse suggestions. Although I don't know how he'd get to the Wall (or Meereen, if that floats your boat) soon enough...

No. But it's the only sword we ever hear about that's really glowing by itself. Then again, I don't share the theory, it's just the most likely literal one, imo.

I'd say the most likely explanation is that they're just talking about the same kinds of flaming swords Beric and Thoros use. Maybe Azor Ahai was just the first person to figure out how to do it, and that it required blood.

A wounded Dayne as bleeding star? I've seen worse suggestions. Although I don't know how he'd get to the Wall (or Meereen, if that floats your boat) soon enough...

No, not a wounded Dayne, but the sword itself, if we assume was soaked with the blood of some of the Ned's companions, which is a safe bet, is literaly a bleeding star.

"Father no children" is probably supposed to imply complete abstinence. Yes, they could also ensure that they don't father children by killing the woman directly afterwards, but I believe most people understand this part of the vow as a more dignified way of saying "No fucking!".

(ETA: By the way, I don't think we ever get the KG vow word by word, so their celibacy clause might even spell it out more directly.)

But they (people in Westeros) seem to have some notion of how to prevent pregnancy, there's tansy tea and "spilling one's seed on the belly" at least, that I can remember.

Right we dont know the words of KG's vows. But the NW's vows do not say the exact words "I shall not have sex". I have always found it odd that people look down on NW's men who go to Mole's town because if they are visiting whores surely whores know how to avoid babies? It's not like they have 100% secure contraception in Westeros but still. It seems to me a huge difference between not breeding and not forming a family, and not having sex. EVER.

If anyone remembers this being discussed in other threads I would love to read more about it. Thanks!! :-)

Edited for horrible spelling

I believe that the issue with man from the NW sleeping with whores is that in westros it's not honorable for any man tot do such a thing. You're not supposed tot sleep with a woman you're not married with and they are not allowed tot marry, so they are not allowed to sleep with women.

What would have been visible from the Isle of Faces northward/ eastward around the time of the children of the forest and the invasion of the first men/ andals. I am drawing a picture of the COF looking out as ships come. I just want to know what would be seen on the mainland besides the mountains on the Eeyrie.

New question - this has been bugging me and I can't find the answer in the Citadel or Wiki -

Has GRRM confirmed that valonquar means little or younger brother? If not, is the basis for thinking it the scene where the Tyroshi brings Cersei a dwarf's head and says he has brought the head of the valonquar - and Cersei uses 'my brother' in her reply as if she is using the Common Tongue version of the older word? Because, Valonquar could mean 'attainted one' or 'man with price on his head' or 'kin- or kingslayer' or even just 'dwarf' and the exchange would still make sense.

Or is there more evidence?

Related question - Is it clear anywhere before this that her hatred and paranoia re Tyrion is due to the prophecy as well as his 'killing' their mother?

I can't face re-reading to work this out if someone can just tell me.

New question - this has been bugging me and I can't find the answer in the Citadel or Wiki -

Has GRRM confirmed that valonquar means little or younger brother? If not, is the basis for thinking it the scene where the Tyroshi brings Cersei a dwarf's head and says he has brought the head of the valonquar - and Cersei uses 'my brother' in her reply as if she is using the Common Tongue version of the older word? Because, Valonquar could mean 'attainted one' or 'man with price on his head' or 'kin- or kingslayer' or even just 'dwarf' and the exchange would still make sense.

Related question - Is it clear anywhere before this that her hatred and paranoia re Tyrion is due to the prophecy as well as his 'killing' their mother?

The Tyroshi who presents a dwarf head calls Tyrion, valonqar.

Valonqar, in a straight no-bullshit translation, means "little brother." Nothing to suggest it means "attainted one" or anything of that sort.

Valonqar, in a straight no-bullshit translation, means "little brother." Nothing to suggest it means "attainted one" or anything of that sort.

Ok thanks for reply so you are saying the correct inference from this passage is it means little brother, anything other interpretation is just fanciful? Any idea re my other questions are there other passages to support eg anything where Cersei looks at Tyrion and shudders, thinking of the prophecy, or anything like that?

Ok thanks for reply so you are saying the correct inference from this passage is it means little brother, anything other interpretation is just fanciful? Any idea re my other questions are there other passages to support eg anything where Cersei looks at Tyrion and shudders, thinking of the prophecy, or anything like that?

I'm not saying it's "fanciful," I'm saying it's incorrect based on the translation that's flat-out given in the text. It means "little brother," and yes, this appears to be a large part of why Cersei hates and fears Tyrion: She thinks that he's the valonqar who is going to strangle her. It's not just that he killed their mother and that he's a dwarf; she thinks he's ultimately going to be the one to kill her. Not realizing that she actually has two little brothers.

The word valonqar doesn't appear until the fourth book, along with Cersei's POV. Tyrion is gone by then. It only takes like five paragraphs in her first POV for Cersei to bring the word up. We don't learn what it means for another few chapters.

Is there ever any indication that Dawn emits heat? I think it just glows.

I don't recall it ever being said that Dawn glows.

I don't recall it ever being said that Dawn glows.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

Archived